Sigerson Cup 2018

Started by ck, December 11, 2017, 10:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on January 18, 2018, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on January 18, 2018, 03:12:20 PM
there seems to be a virulent 'anti GAA strain ' in many of the post here.
the sigerson cup a valuable completion in its own right with the standard some where between the top county teams and middle order ones and like the railway cup of old give players from a weaker county a chance to play at a very high level.
as for the scholarships they are part and parcel of University life and are there to encourage excellent in all of student pursuits which it should do though out the college .
Ireland is in the halfpenny place when it comes to scholarship compared to most countries.
Previously the only option was for athletes to head to often 2nd rate US colleges where most were never heard of again, though their education benefited greatly , surely it a major plus to kepth our top guys at home

There's just one very loud lad. No GAA members want to make the lives of senior IC players even more difficult to balance than they already are.

Grants
Expenses
Scholarships
Endorseements
Free cars

I think intercounty GAA players do very well out of their hobbies. Most people have to jack their hobbies in due to life.

Its elitism and its wrong, many club players quite rightly have a lot of issues with the GAA on this.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 18, 2018, 04:02:07 PM
the sigerson cup a valuable completion in its own right with the standard some where between the top county teams and middle order ones and like the railway cup of old give players from a weaker county a chance to play at a very high level.
as for the scholarships they are part and parcel of University life and are there to encourage excellent in all of student pursuits which it should do though out the college .
Ireland is in the halfpenny place when it comes to scholarship compared to most countries.
Previously the only option was for athletes to head to often 2nd rate US colleges where most were never heard of again, though their education benefited greatly , surely it a major plus to kepth our top guys at home

There's just one very loud lad. No GAA members want to make the lives of senior IC players even more difficult to balance than they already are.

Grants
Expenses
Scholarships
Endorseements
Free cars

I think intercounty GAA players do very well out of their hobbies. Most people have to jack their hobbies in due to life.

Its elitism and its wrong, many club players quite rightly have a lot of issues with the GAA on this.
I agree with you on alot of things Bomber but this time we are at odds. I don't see the issue of grants or scholarships as a scourge of the GAA. And if you ask alot of club players, they don't really care about their Inter-County friend getting his benefits. Whilst friend a is on the rip through the Bot, friend B is driving home from Owenbeg after being soaked for 2 hours. Whilst friend a is eating spar rolls, friend b is on his cashew nuts and yoghurt. For the sacrifices GAA inter-county players make, in order for us to go see them in Croke Park or Clones and cheer them, having UUJ or DCU offer a scholarship is a small token of appreciation.

thewobbler

Would any high-level amateur athlete not have to forego a drinker's lifestyle in order to reach the top of their game?

That one isn't a GAA problem.

If we are being really cynical about it, the issue isn't the personal sacrifice, it's the sheer volume of people who would pitch themselves as high-level amateurs. In any other Irish sport, the elite level of amateurs wouldn't run into 100 people. Jordanstown would have that number in GAA alone.

The solution is we (as an association) either accept it as a leisure pursuit and take ourselves back down to earth, or else continue with the concept in which it requires 5,000+ adult males to operate at vocational levels.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 18, 2018, 06:17:12 PM

Grants
Expenses
Scholarships
Endorseements
Free cars

I agree with you on alot of things Bomber but this time we are at odds. I don't see the issue of grants or scholarships as a scourge of the GAA. And if you ask alot of club players, they don't really care about their Inter-County friend getting his benefits. Whilst friend a is on the rip through the Bot, friend B is driving home from Owenbeg after being soaked for 2 hours. Whilst friend a is eating spar rolls, friend b is on his cashew nuts and yoghurt. For the sacrifices GAA inter-county players make, in order for us to go see them in Croke Park or Clones and cheer them, having UUJ or DCU offer a scholarship is a small token of appreciation.

They make enough of the GAA. It's elitism, in the past few years we have the likes of Donaghy, Darran O'Sullivan and Karl Lacey who have jacked in jobs in order to commit themselves to GAA for a year. The question here to me is not is that the level of dedication required for GAA? It's more how can people these guys who presumably have mortgages, young families etc afford to jack in their job to pursue what is meant to be a pastime?

These guys do extremely well out of their profile as intercounty players. I would imagine the likes of Joe Canning and Aidan O'Shea do better than the vast majority of professional athletes earning their crust in Ireland. We consistently are told of the sacrifices the GAA players make, they get an awful lot back:

Grants
Expenses
Scolarships
No-show jobs
Endorsments
Sponsorship deals
Free clothes/equipment/vehicles/holidays/etc

It's a hobby, people wouldn't be doing it if:
a) They didn't enjoy it or
b) They weren't getting something beneficial back out of it

I think it's wrong that people perceive the GAA as a cash cow that you can get something back out of.

Blowitupref

Maynooth v UCD threw in at 2pm.

Other games today

DIT v IT Carlow, Grangegorman, 7pm (now moved back to Wednesday 31st Jan)
Trinity College v DkIT, Santry Avenue, 7pm
Athlone IT v Garda College, Athlone IT, 7pm

And tomorrow

NUIG v IT Sligo, Dangan, 2.30pm

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

HT MaynoothUni 0-01 UCD 1-08
FT MaynoothUni 1-06  UCD 2-14
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

screenexile

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 18, 2018, 06:45:19 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on January 18, 2018, 06:17:12 PM

Grants
Expenses
Scholarships
Endorseements
Free cars

They make enough of the GAA. It's elitism, in the past few years we have the likes of Donaghy, Darran O'Sullivan and Karl Lacey who have jacked in jobs in order to commit themselves to GAA for a year. The question here to me is not is that the level of dedication required for GAA? It's more how can people these guys who presumably have mortgages, young families etc afford to jack in their job to pursue what is meant to be a pastime?

These guys do extremely well out of their profile as intercounty players. I would imagine the likes of Joe Canning and Aidan O'Shea do better than the vast majority of professional athletes earning their crust in Ireland. We consistently are told of the sacrifices the GAA players make, they get an awful lot back:

Grants
Expenses
Scolarships
No-show jobs
Endorsments
Sponsorship deals
Free clothes/equipment/vehicles/holidays/etc

It's a hobby, people wouldn't be doing it if:
a) They didn't enjoy it or
b) They weren't getting something beneficial back out of it

I think it's wrong that people perceive the GAA as a cash cow that you can get something back out of.

It's the new world lads . . .

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/social-media-professional-gaa-player-148201?utm_content=buffera8f54&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Syferus

It's bad when you're linking to Joe.ie. Huge difference between the dozen or so star players in each province and every other poor fecker playing the sport at IC level.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on January 23, 2018, 04:01:21 PM
It's bad when you're linking to Joe.ie. Huge difference between the dozen or so star players in each province and every other poor fecker playing the sport at IC level.

I've made no comment. IBD asked how these lads are sustaining themselves as full time County Players without working and the social media/brand ambassador thing is one way of doing it rightly or wrongly.

Personally I don't have a problem with it at all if you have the exposure why wouldn't you use it? The Gooch's testimonial is a different matter but the liked that Lee Chin etc. receive I think is fine.

Blowitupref

7pm throw in results

Trinity College 0-10  DkIT 1-18
AIT 0-11 Garda College 7-10

bloody mary

Here's UCD winning today at Maynooth, very comfortable, and a cracking finish for the second goal by Jack Barry..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx5oC6RspOs

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on January 23, 2018, 04:01:21 PM

If they were poor, they would hardly be playing it. Lee Chin is proof about how some of these players do very well out of the game.

Cunny Funt

HT : NUIG 2-06 Sligo IT 0-04
FT :  NUIG 3-15 Sligo IT 1-06

magpie seanie

Any team news or report from that game? Result not surprising.....Sligo IT were supposed to be poor this year.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 24, 2018, 04:25:58 PM
Any team news or report from that game? Result not surprising.....Sligo IT were supposed to be poor this year.
http://www.the42.ie/nui-galway-beat-it-sligo-sigerson-3815070-Jan2018/ Sligo wing back impressive for NUIG.