The changed All-Ireland medal

Started by Íseal agus crua isteach a, January 08, 2014, 02:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 15, 2014, 12:33:09 PM
I was referring to the current logo (the top one there) as the "new" one. It came into use in 2008. My point was that if they were worried about copyright infingements with medal design, I'd imagine they would have changed the medals in 2008/9 when the new logo was first brought in, rather than doing it in 2013.

The new medals were first issued in 2008.

Nally Stand

Indeed. I'd thought that this was introduced last year. I still find it a stretch to believe it's for copyright reasons though. Surely they'd have explained this as being the reason, if that were the case? And as I say, I'd very much doubt if there's a roaring trade in 9 carat gold All-Ireland medal knock-offs. I can only imagine it was a case of pushing the new logo at the expense of the harp as worn on the jersey of of one Sam Maguire.

(Centre, holding the ball)

Some things should be left alone, and the traditional All-Ireland medal, in my view, was one such thing.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

I've found a source for why the change took place and it's down to consistency of branding. Previously the GAA had a mass of emblems - it's fair to say that the contrast between the Guinness hurling and Bank of Ireland football is striking - so the new GAA logo ensured consistent use across everything. Now, if I had been party to this at the time I would have said "great, makes sense to have a recognisable symbol that is common to all of the various emblems in the association. But can we not leave the All-Ireland medal alone?" However, the decision was not made as a consequence of change-for-the-sake-of-change.

NB scrolling down to the bottom of the linked page is done at your own risk. Much marketing bull.

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on January 15, 2014, 01:47:49 PM
I've found a source for why the change took place and it's down to consistency of branding. Previously the GAA had a mass of emblems - it's fair to say that the contrast between the Guinness hurling and Bank of Ireland football is striking - so the new GAA logo ensured consistent use across everything. Now, if I had been party to this at the time I would have said "great, makes sense to have a recognisable symbol that is common to all of the various emblems in the association. But can we not leave the All-Ireland medal alone?" However, the decision was not made as a consequence of change-for-the-sake-of-change.

NB scrolling down to the bottom of the linked page is done at your own risk. Much marketing bull.

Good find, Deiseach. Some collection of logos and crests. Agreed though, it's a pity the traditional medal was sacrificed in a broad a marketing decision.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 15, 2014, 01:56:14 PM
Good find, Deiseach. Some collection of logos and crests. Agreed though, it's a pity the traditional medal was sacrificed in a broad a marketing decision.

We're in agreement!

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on January 15, 2014, 01:59:47 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 15, 2014, 01:56:14 PM

We're in agreement!

Agreed!

armaghniac

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 15, 2014, 01:17:07 PM
Indeed. I'd thought that this was introduced last year. I still find it a stretch to believe it's for copyright reasons though. Surely they'd have explained this as being the reason, if that were the case? And as I say, I'd very much doubt if there's a roaring trade in 9 carat gold All-Ireland medal knock-offs. I can only imagine it was a case of pushing the new logo at the expense of the harp as worn on the jersey of of one Sam Maguire.

Some things should be left alone, and the traditional All-Ireland medal, in my view, was one such thing.

I don't think they should have changed the jerseys either.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on January 15, 2014, 03:33:56 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 15, 2014, 01:17:07 PM

I don't think they should have changed the jerseys either.
Back to 21 a side and point posts and every player grow a big moustache.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile an tuaigh

A little late on posting this, though not as serious as changing the All-Ireland medals I think its worth a mention. I just don't understand the thinking of replacing the Cross of Cashel trophy for the All-Ireland U21 hurling champions. It was beautiful just to be replaced with a tin cup.