The changed All-Ireland medal

Started by Íseal agus crua isteach a, January 08, 2014, 02:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

So the GAA logo is not a logo at all but a "heritage crest".

What is a "heritage crest"?

Íseal agus crua isteach a

The referenced All-Ireland winner, and, in more recent years,
Kilkenny senior hurling team manager Brian Cody. He also heads
the James Stephens Club, Kilkenny. It is he who expressed shock
that his medal is not the same as the traditional All-Ireland medals
that were issued from 1910 to 2008. This change was made by
the new corporate-owned GAA that, in 2008, took over from the
parish-based national GAA. 

A group of hard working Gaels will present the winners with their proper medals. I know of one player who was very disappointed with his new corporate medal.

Syferus

For every one with a 'problem' you'll find a few dozen who are perfectly happy to have All-Ireland winners' medals. Non-issue.

Poor Darth Vader, though.

Nally Stand

Lots of posters belittling the scrapping of an almost century old tradition. Im not saying it will make or break the association, but surely some things can and should be left sacred? Aside from breaking with tradition, the old design just looked classier than the new one with a corporate logo across it which will likely have to change again in a few short years. Which cheapens the traditional element even more.

Maybe its just me but I like the idea of an All-Ireland winners from every era receiving the same style of medal. It would have been a tangible way of maintaining a direct and unbroken link to GAA All-Ireland winners down through history.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 15, 2014, 09:58:24 AM
Lots of posters belittling the scrapping of an almost century old tradition. Im not saying it will make or break the association, but surely some things can and should be left sacred? Aside from breaking with tradition, the old design just looked classier than the new one with a corporate logo across it which will likely have to change again in a few short years. Which cheapens the traditional element even more.

Maybe its just me but I like the idea of an All-Ireland winners from every era receiving the same style of medal. It would have been a tangible was of maintaining a direct and unbroken link to GAA All-Ireland winners down through history.
I agree with that, although i think most players would be happy to have any allireland medal, no matter what the design.
For once , it would have been nice if they had left this one alone
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Asal Mor

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 15, 2014, 09:58:24 AM

Maybe its just me but I like the idea of an All-Ireland winners from every era receiving the same style of medal. It would have been a tangible was of maintaining a direct and unbroken link to GAA All-Ireland winners down through history.

Dead right Nally.

Aristo 60

They should reserve the new medal for those All Ireland winners beaten earlier in the year and keep the real one for the undefeated teams

Coke and diet coke if you like..

deiseach

I'm guessing that it's impossible for the GAA to copyright the original medal because the image has been effectively public domain for so long. It's like how you can get knockoff rugby jerseys that look just like the classic one because they were being made by third party manufacturers before the IRFU realised there may be a value to them. It might well be possible to strike fake versions of the old style medal because of the 'heritage' aspect of it. I could be completely wrong here, but it at least would explain the change.

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on January 15, 2014, 10:46:48 AM
I'm guessing that it's impossible for the GAA to copyright the original medal because the image has been effectively public domain for so long. It's like how you can get knockoff rugby jerseys that look just like the classic one because they were being made by third party manufacturers before the IRFU realised there may be a value to them. It might well be possible to strike fake versions of the old style medal because of the 'heritage' aspect of it. I could be completely wrong here, but it at least would explain the change.

It's a possible explanation, but still not convinced that's why they changed it. Two reasons...

1. The GAA has been savvy enough on corporate/copyright issues for years now, so if that was their reason, they'd have likely done it long ago. For instance, when they brought in the new GAA logo.
2. We're not just talking about jerseys here. I'd doubt if many people are making knock-offs of 9 carat gold All-Ireland medals.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 15, 2014, 11:14:35 AM
It's a possible explanation, but still not convinced that's why they changed it. Two reasons...

1. The GAA has been savvy enough on corporate/copyright issues for years now, so if that was their reason, they'd have likely done it long ago. For instance, when they brought in the new GAA logo.
2. We're not just talking about jerseys here. I'd doubt if many people are making knock-offs of 9 carat gold All-Ireland medals.

So why do you think they did it?

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on January 15, 2014, 11:48:15 AM

So why do you think they did it?

No idea. Your explanation is possible, but also possible is that it was a change for the sake of change. Or a change made for the sake of just wanting to give new prominence to the new GAA logo.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

The new one fits better in the modern day back pocket, and as everybody knows that's where All Ireland winners keep their medals.

Croí na hÉireann

It was brought in at the same time as the new logo. This is the new logo

I presume you're referring to this one

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Nally Stand

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 15, 2014, 12:22:44 PM

It was brought in at the same time as the new logo. This is the new logo

I presume you're referring to this one

I was referring to the current logo (the top one there) as the "new" one. It came into use in 2008. My point was that if they were worried about copyright infingements with medal design, I'd imagine they would have changed the medals in 2008/9 when the new logo was first brought in, rather than doing it in 2013.