The changed All-Ireland medal

Started by Íseal agus crua isteach a, January 08, 2014, 02:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Íseal agus crua isteach a

Mo chairde,

Please examine the two medals below to see that they are not the same.

One is the traditional GAA All-Ireland medal; the other is not. The one
that is NOT traditional was awarded to the 2013 All-Ireland winners. 

On what basis and authority was the medal changed?

Is Mise;
Seamus

From the Bunker

Ah, they have stuck to the general design in fairness. Oh to be worried about the design and appearance of an AI medal, It could be carved out of chipboard for all any player from Mayo (or most counties) would care!

orangeman

I'd take one if it came out of Ambrose Henry's shed and wouldn't be worried about the design.

Aristo 60

For years the GAA appear to have been actively seeking out tradition and changing it for better or for worse.

Do they need a basis or authority from anyone to make changes to the medals?

Rossfan

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on January 08, 2014, 02:48:35 AM
Mo chairde,

Is Mise;
Seamus

Get a bloody life FFS !!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

PAULD123

In fairness the medal now represents the more global competition (taking into account London and New York). It is now a championship medal of the GAA and not just of Eire. Eire is an outdated term now anyway.

I think the above points are completely trivial just like the concern over the changing of the medal anyway. It's not like they changed it dramatically

Jinxy

Mark my words, this is the end of the GAA as we know it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

This is the John Cena spinning title belt controversy all over again.

From this:

to this:

deiseach

While it wouldn't worry me, and I have no standing to complain if I was, I must confess to being mildly curious now that it has been brought up as to who made the decision and why. PAULD123's suggestion that it is because it's a global competition is plausible, but seems unlikely. I doubt anyone in British or American GAA circles felt left out by the use of 'Éire' on the old medals. Anyone care to take the time to write to Croke Park? My uncle took umbrage at the struggles he had getting an OAP discount a few years back so decided to write to Nickey Brennan and got a wonderfully caustic personal reply.

Aristo 60

Quote from: deiseach on January 08, 2014, 02:19:21 PM
While it wouldn't worry me, and I have no standing to complain if I was, I must confess to being mildly curious now that it has been brought up as to who made the decision and why. PAULD123's suggestion that it is because it's a global competition is plausible, but seems unlikely. I doubt anyone in British or American GAA circles felt left out by the use of 'Éire' on the old medals. Anyone care to take the time to write to Croke Park? My uncle took umbrage at the struggles he had getting an OAP discount a few years back so decided to write to Nickey Brennan and got a wonderfully caustic personal reply.

Get it on the board for us deiseach!

deiseach

Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 08, 2014, 02:52:25 PM
Quote from: deiseach on January 08, 2014, 02:19:21 PM

Get it on the board for us deiseach!

The letter? Next time I see him I'll get a pic of it. It's a classic!

magpie seanie

QuoteMo chairde,

Is Mise;
Seamus

I would say it was done as a deliberate and personal affront to the 2013 winners!

I'd say it's to do with when they changed the GAA logo and copyright etc. Nothing to stop anyone making a set of the old ones but would imagine the new one with the "GAA" trademark couldn't be legally reproduced.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

The larger point here is that GAA decisions as to medals and rules cannot be made by a few,
and that it would be a violation of its tradition if it has become a corporation operating for the benefit of its officers.

The proper All-Ireland medal should have "Eire and the Sovereign Harp" not this one with the three serpents.

Syferus

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on January 09, 2014, 03:24:18 AM
The larger point here is that GAA decisions as to medals and rules cannot be made by a few,
and that it would be a violation of its tradition if it has become a corporation operating for the benefit of its officers.

The proper All-Ireland medal should have "Eire and the Sovereign Harp" not this one with the three serpents.

Do you want them to have a public vote? Go to congress with a proposal? C'mon now. We have enough real questions to be dealing with.

The only problem I see with changing them is that the new one has the current GAA logo on it and if the logo changes the medal will need to change again. Still, few winners' medals or rings don't have the organisation's logo on it in the first place.

T Fearon

They changed the season ticket plastic as well after a few years.Current issue is far less sturdy than the original,and I don't recall this being sanctioned by any Committee >:(