Gaelic Games heading for a new era of international growth

Started by Eamonnca1, November 30, 2012, 01:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

You're entitled to your opinion Rossfan but I'd disagree with you. Colm O'Neill's goal, Micheal Murphy's goal and Bernard Brogan's chance all came from brilliant long passes. There were plenty of great points from distance, Finlay and Sheehan come to mind readily but it's become fashionable to focus on the more negative aspects. There was some tremendous fielding too so I don't subscribe to your view at all.

Anyway this thread isn't about the merits of top level football and as already said, it's entirely irrelevant to international promotion.

thejuice

Finally.

And I said it a million times before, get it on TV so people can actually watch it in the UK, USA or Australia.

The reason NFL is growing so fast in Ireland and over in the UK is because its on TV and it's very accessible through the internet.

Having GAA on some back of catalogue channel like Premiersports is like keeping it in the cupboard.

Get it on TV get the highlights free to be viewed straight away and none of this Island of Ireland crap.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ballinaman

Quote from: thejuice on December 01, 2012, 01:52:25 PM
Finally.

And I said it a million times before, get it on TV so people can actually watch it in the UK, USA or Australia.

The reason NFL is growing so fast in Ireland and over in the UK is because its on TV and it's very accessible through the internet.

Having GAA on some back of catalogue channel like Premiersports is like keeping it in the cupboard.

Get it on TV get the highlights free to be viewed straight away and none of this Island of Ireland crap.
spot on. totally agree

Zulu

It's certainly part of it alright but it's getting it into schools and setting up underage clubs that will make the most difference. You wouldn't believe some of the reality devoid suggestions Croke Park come up with. TV will help develop a fan base and increase the profile but as it is at home only development with the kids will result in more players and clubs.

thejuice

I don't know, they have had GAA in some schools in England for a good while now and I often meet people with no affiliation to Ireland who played it in school. There doesn't seem to be much uptake outside of the Irish community. Now maybe its because at adult level it is a bit of a pub orientated shambles that they lose interest quickly.

I think increased exposure to it through TV and other media is far more beneficial as it offers something aspirational and might actually make more sense than any coaching.

The Irish American football league have 7 new teams applying to join the league for next year. This is a league that less than a decade ago had only 5 teams and was near folding. But thanks to television, video games and the internet the ranks have been swelling year on year. Nothing to do with schools.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zulu

Perhaps but I wouldn't say they are being set up by lads with NFL ambitions but by lads who enjoy gridiron and (maybe) aren't much good at the main sports.

The reason lads don't keep it up in Britain is multi factored but a lack of proper competitions is a big one. I'm not saying our club are reinventing the wheel but we are doing pretty well so far and if the GAA were funding 10 others to do the same we could have 10 underage clubs within the 2 years in the city. With that you'd have the potential for a sustainable league within the city.

TV might get a few people interested but I wouldn't regard it as a success if a collection of non Irish twentysomethings got together to form a team. They wouldn't be up to much and yo compete they'd have to play against Irish teams which would soon test their commitment. Target certain cities and get enough teams up and running and you'd have some chance for sustainability.

Eamonnca1

All that cynical diving and play-acting and silly penalty shootouts at the World Cup.  Soccer will never become a globalized sport as long as .... oh

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thejuice on December 01, 2012, 04:20:19 PM
I don't know, they have had GAA in some schools in England for a good while now and I often meet people with no affiliation to Ireland who played it in school. There doesn't seem to be much uptake outside of the Irish community. Now maybe its because at adult level it is a bit of a pub orientated shambles that they lose interest quickly.

I think increased exposure to it through TV and other media is far more beneficial as it offers something aspirational and might actually make more sense than any coaching.

The Irish American football league have 7 new teams applying to join the league for next year. This is a league that less than a decade ago had only 5 teams and was near folding. But thanks to television, video games and the internet the ranks have been swelling year on year. Nothing to do with schools.

TV exposure, proper marketing, underage competition, underage structures, adult competition, a steady progression in standard up through the grades so people can work their way up from entry level, they're all part of the mix. They should all be in place. It's not an either/or question.