Joyce and Donnellan Retire

Started by Duine Eile, November 17, 2006, 08:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

QuoteI can see Padraig Joyce as a future Galway coach

I thought he was managing the last few years

magickingdom

i know it was coming but still... two great footballers. galway and football in general will miss them. good luck to them both....

myball22

If it is true it's the end of an golden era for Galway football. Only the three in a row can surpass what these two in particular did for Galway football. Ever since they were seen at schools and under age everyone could see they were talented. I'm just glad they did it on the big stage  where they stepped up to the plate, Donnellan in'98, Joyce in '01.

It's time to give the youth a chance but it will be a while before we see players of their calibre in the maroon

GallBoss

Could we be facing another 32 years hard to replace the types of players we've lost over the last few years. The two guys will continue to be two of the top club players in Galway class acts both of them.

Owenmoresider

Concur with all that has been already said, two great footballers who were a joy to watch (except when we were in the firing line!), and delivered on the big day. Galway will have a difficult job to replace them.

liihb

That point by Donnelan in '98 will long live in the memory, probably one of the best points I have ever witnessed in the flesh

Hope the two boys enjoy their retirement
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Aristotle Flynn

Two great Galway footballers. It'll be a long time before we see Galway in Croke Park again on All Ireland football final day.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Northside Dub

2 class acts wish them the best in their retirement!!
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Fr Todd Unctious

Donnellan was a class act, with a serious engine. Plagued by injuries over the last few years though. Joyce will go down as one of Galways greats, but in fairness he has done nothing for Galway since 2001. Both are around the 30 mark, the fact that Peter Ford is back again this year probably made the decision for them. With that lad as manager Galway are going nowhere. I don't think they fulfilled their true potential could have won a few more all irelands.

Redgreenery

Pity to see them go.

They have contributed so much to the game and played in many entertaining matches.

Good luck to both of them...

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteI don't think they fulfilled their true potential could have won a few more all irelands

Hard to say really. As Meatloaf said 2 out 3 ain't bad. 2000 was a missed opportunity but they probably wouldn't have won it in 2001 if they won in 2000. Such is the way these things go.

Looking back 1999 was probably the real lost chance considering Ja and Kevin Walsh carried injuries all though the 2000 championship. The Meath team that won it in 99 wasn't fantastic IMO and it was a poor enough championship in general that was there to be won. In fairness after waiting 32 years for an All-Ireland the county went mad so the team probably wasn't as sharp as it should have been that year (some of the players had wintered a little too well) and they ended up getting ambushed in Tuam by Mayo. Had they kept themselves in peak mental and physical condition then 1999 was there for the taking by them.

By 2002 a lot ot them had their 2 celtic crosses and the hunger was diminishing.

youbetterbelieveit

Did the boys forget to tell Ford? or are they retiring at all?

Galway manager Peter Ford has rubbished reports that star footballers Paraic Joyce and Michael Donnellan have announced their retirement.

"That's not official. They're just not back with us yet," said Ford. "We started back this week, but Paraic Joyce definitely would hope to be involved after Christmas.

"I have spoken to both of them and I don't know where that (the retirements) came out of."

The Mayo native revealed that Joyce has put football on hold until the New Year in an effort to allow a troublesome Achilles tendon problem clear up before next year's campaign.

"Paraic Joyce had an Achilles tendon injury all last year so he's just taking a complete break trying to get that right," he said. "He'll be talking to me again after Christmas.

"I'm hopeful (to have him for the National League). He has no intention of retiring anyway."
Donnellan, meanwhile, is not planning to line out for the Tribesmen next year but, according to Ford, he has not quit the intercounty scene indefinitely.

"Michael Donnellan doesn't intend playing again but he hasn't retired, that's just how he feels right now," added Ford.

"He has been injured the last two years and he had a stomach operation there four years ago. He hasn't recovered from that you know and he's playing with pain. He feels he has enough of it right now.

"He (Donnellan) has ruled himself out for next year but that could change again. At the same time he hasn't announced his retirement. You'd expect that. He has been on the go so long and has been struggling with injury and he hasn't been playing as well as he can.

"They (Joyce and Donnellan) just want to get their injuries right first. We'll give them a bit of space and if the injuries clear up and they're going well then they'll be back again."

GalwayBayBoy

I'm wondering what's going on alright. I haven't seen it confirmed officially anywhere yet and I've been listening to sports reports all day.

Galway15

2 of the best ever..reckon Joyce will be back after xmas tho!

Redgreenery

Joyce should probably come back next year.

Would not be so sure about Donnellan.