Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Jinxy on June 05, 2012, 11:42:20 PM
When will Kevins be out in the championship next?

Well last year the second round wasn't played until after Kildare had lost to Donegal.
The more I think about it, due to eligibility issues (I don't believe he'll play a hurling match) and match fitness, we may not see Johnston in a Kildare jersey this year. With the circus around it I think that would be better for him and Kildare...

In an ideal world I wouldn't like to see him in a Kildare jersey any year but sure it's done now.

Lar Naparka

To get back on-topic again..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/johnston-gets-kildare-green-light-as-saga-finally-ends-3130548.html

Johnston gets Kildare green light as saga finally ends

Seanie Johnston has finally been deemed eligible to transfer to Kildare after the most protracted inter-county GAA transfer saga came to an end last night.

The GAA's Central Competitions Controls Committee (CCCC) felt they had no option but to rubberstamp Johnston's transfer from Cavan Gaels to St Kevin's in Kildare after a decision from the Central Appeals Committee (CAC) made almost two weeks ago.

The CAC had upheld Johnston's transfer request -- which had been turned down by the CCCC for a second time on the grounds of residency -- on the basis that an objection from his club or county had not been received within the 10 days required in accordance with rule 6.10b of the Official Guide.

The CCCC had sought clarification. With no recourse to the Disputes Resolution Authority, the avenue they wanted to take to test the residency and ethos position they took, the CCCC felt they could not challenge the decision.

Johnston has been attempting to move to St Kevin's for six months. He has been training with Kildare for several weeks but must now play a championship match with St Kevin's before he can play for the Lilies.

No Kildare SFC matches have been fixed, although the draws for the second round were made last week. Clubs are under the impression there will be none played until the county team's championship business is over.

There has been suggestions that local bye-laws would allow him to play with Coill Dubh, a hurling club with a link to St Kevin's.

- Colm Keys

Irish Independent
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

So either he takes up hurling for 5 minutes or he doesn't play for Kildare this year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on June 06, 2012, 02:02:16 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 05, 2012, 11:42:20 PM
When will Kevins be out in the championship next?

Well last year the second round wasn't played until after Kildare had lost to Donegal.
The more I think about it, due to eligibility issues (I don't believe he'll play a hurling match) and match fitness, we may not see Johnston in a Kildare jersey this year. With the circus around it I think that would be better for him and Kildare...

In an ideal world I wouldn't like to see him in a Kildare jersey any year but sure it's done now.

Once he missed the Leixlip match any chance he had was gone. The Coill Dubh v Éire Óg/Corrchoill match is surely not an option. I don't want to see the guy lining out for Kildare but at least it's finally resolved and we can get back to talking football.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 06, 2012, 02:10:42 PM
Will he hurl? Is there hurling fixed?

Three weeks from this weekend. I can't see it to be honest. The county is enough of a laughing stock over this as it is without having that charade. His only hope would be if Sarsfields agreed to bring the second round match forward as a stand alone fixture but that would be very unlikely. Parachuting him straight into the match day panel at this stage could also cause more trouble than it is worth if a lad who has put in the slog during the league was to miss out.

In saying all that though, it is unlikely this was pursued for so long just to have him sitting in the stands. We'll probably be hearing plenty more about this before the summer is out.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Will they try and hook him up with a teaching job in Kildare for next year?

AZOffaly

If he does hurl Cúltec should sponsor him one of those new synthetic hurls. Great publicity, and he probably doesn't have one of his own :D

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Jinxy on June 06, 2012, 02:04:58 PM
So either he takes up hurling for 5 minutes or he doesn't play for Kildare this year.

Well Jinxy in a bid to help you take this over 100 pages let's look at the dates.

June 17 Kildare v Offaly (in a bid to offend Biffos I'm gonna assume Kildare win this)
July 1 Kildare v Meath
If Kildare win: July 22 Leinster final
If Kildare lose: Qualifiers on July 21 and 28.
All-Ireland quarters are on August bank holiday.

So assuming Kildare make the All-Ireland quarters one way or another, the longest break we'll have is three weeks, and that's if we beat Meath.
Given that Geezer has never been happy with club championship games being that close to inter-county games I'll be absolutely shocked if there's club games arranged for any of those breaks. Even if Geezer was willing to make an exception clubs would not be happy at all with short notice/lack of time with their players.

Plus, say Kildare do beat Meath, and I'm wrong and club games are arranged, it would also be a new departure for him to start a player in a Leinster final that hasn't played a minute of inter-county all year.

I'd also be surprised if we'd be willing to go through the charade of him hurling for Coill Dubh.
So I'd be very doubtful about whether Seanie will start for Kildare this year, and I think that's another point that a lot of coverage is missing.

Of course I could be wrong and maybe Geezer views Johnston as so important that he will do anything to have him available, but that would go against his track record of picking people on form/fitness etc.

The big question now for me is how long-term Johnston views this move to be - would he take a teaching post in Kildare, for example?
People go on as if this year is McGeeney's last throw of the dice or something but apart from Doyle and Earley, it's a young Kildare side, and Geezer is only in the first year of a three-year term. Maybe he views Johnston as a long-term thing?

trasna man

fair play to you boys for getting to 100 pages thats some going

Jinxy