Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

was that not a bit far fetched to say kildare would have won an all ireland had larry tompkins and fahy stayed put instead of going to cork? how does he come to that conclusion, kildare wern't even winning leinsters or knocking on the door

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Orchardman on February 08, 2012, 11:18:01 PM
was that not a bit far fetched to say kildare would have won an all ireland had larry tompkins and fahy stayed put instead of going to cork? how does he come to that conclusion, kildare wern't even winning leinsters or knocking on the door

We weren't that far off the Dublin team that played in three AIFs in the early to mid nineties with a very young team. Still don't know how we didn't hold out in '94 after Ken Doyle kicked us ahead in injury time only for Charlie Redmond to go up and get an equiliser from O'Leary's kickout. Tompkins and Fahy would have provided that bit of experience to compliment the likes of Ryan, Lynch, Rainbow and Buckley who were still very green at the time.

Had there been a backdoor back then I'm sure Kildare would have been making at least the 1/4 finals on a regular basis. I would say that the team in Dwyer's first spell in charge was at least the equal, if not slightly superior, to the team now under McGeeney - and that's without the two "Corkonians". We'll never know whether they would have landed an All-Ireland but I'm sure they would have won at least one Leinster in the early nineties.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 08, 2012, 11:38:12 PM

We weren't that far off the Dublin team that played in three AIFs in the early to mid nineties with a very young team. Still don't know how we didn't hold out in '94 after Ken Doyle kicked us ahead in injury time only for Charlie Redmond to go up and get an equiliser from O'Leary's kickout. Tompkins and Fahy would have provided that bit of experience to compliment the likes of Ryan, Lynch, Rainbow and Buckley who were still very green at the time.

Had there been a backdoor back then I'm sure Kildare would have been making at least the 1/4 finals on a regular basis. I would say that the team in Dwyer's first spell in charge was at least the equal, if not slightly superior, to the team now under McGeeney - and that's without the two "Corkonians". We'll never know whether they would have landed an All-Ireland but I'm sure they would have won at least one Leinster in the early nineties.

If there'd been a backdoor?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Jinxy on February 09, 2012, 12:28:06 AM

If Tompkins and Fahy had been available. Costliest flight home from America ever...

Plain of the Herbs

If you're working in Cavan five days a week it's impossible to be living in Kildare, Seanie.

Quote from: Seanie Johnston on February 08, 2012, 01:55:44 PM

"If I'm playing with Kildare and training six days a week, it's impossible to be living in Cavan. I'm living in Straffan. If anyone wants to come down for tea they're more than welcome."

Orchardman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 09, 2012, 09:50:23 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 09, 2012, 12:28:06 AM

If Tompkins and Fahy had been available. Costliest flight home from America ever...

i get what you mean, without the back door in those days a lot of good teams didn't progress due to meeting top teams in their province, though i'd imagine that if there was one in those days it easily would have been dominated by derry, down, donegal, dublin, meath and cork

Orchardman

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on February 09, 2012, 08:01:02 PM
If you're working in Cavan five days a week it's impossible to be living in Kildare, Seanie.

Quote from: Seanie Johnston on February 08, 2012, 01:55:44 PM

"If I'm playing with Kildare and training six days a week, it's impossible to be living in Cavan. I'm living in Straffan. If anyone wants to come down for tea they're more than welcome."

yea, what a clown he is, had to laugh at that one, living in kildare and working in cavan and trying to make it sound normal. granted there are the nice teaching holidays, but still...

Jinxy

Ohtoohtobe

We weren't that far off the Dublin team that played in three AIFs in the early to mid nineties with a very young team. Still don't know how we didn't hold out in '94 after Ken Doyle kicked us ahead in injury time
Was that definitely Doyle? Thought it was Graham Dunne but I'm probably just remembering that Dunne scored four points from play that day but was never heard of again really after that.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on February 10, 2012, 11:33:33 AM

We weren't that far off the Dublin team that played in three AIFs in the early to mid nineties with a very young team. Still don't know how we didn't hold out in '94 after Ken Doyle kicked us ahead in injury time
Was that definitely Doyle? Thought it was Graham Dunne but I'm probably just remembering that Dunne scored four points from play that day but was never heard of again really after that.

Dunne fisted a point to put us level and Ken kicked us ahead in the next attack IIRC. Ken had come on in the first half for Johnny McDonald when we were six points up or so. I don't think Dublin scored a point that day until something like the twenty-fifth minute. I think Charlie ended up with eight or nine of their total.

Jinxy

I'm tempted to drive over to Straffan for a look see.
I'd say the traffic is off the charts over there with all the Seanie watchers cruising around.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on February 10, 2012, 03:46:33 PM
I'm tempted to drive over to Straffan for a look see.
I'd say the traffic is off the charts over there with all the Seanie watchers cruising around.

Good crew forming alright

#newbridgeornowhere

mylestheslasher

It seems Michael lyng (cavan gaels) and Dermot shierdan (mullahoran) , two of the 6 left of the panel along with johnston, are back with the county team. Were there not life time bans on these players too? I think its becoming very clear what sort of bucko Johnston is. He wasn't told he wouldn't play for Cavan this yr at all. He wanted away to play with a better team and that's where all this came from - nowhere else.

Jinxy

I doubt the majority of GAA people ever thought it was otherwise Myles.
Seanie wanted out and I've no doubt he made sure himself that he got out.
From talking to my own Cavan contacts there's not a lot of love for Seanie and there's not many that would be too pushed about having him back.
I wonder will Val Andrews give his version of events at some stage.

mylestheslasher

I doubt Andrews will give his side. Rightly or wrongly he is the manager. He doesn't have to tell anyone why he picks the panel he picks. He will be judged by the co board and the clubs on whether enough progress is being made at the end of the season. I'm not from Cavan town but I know any of my mates at home aren't impressed with him at all. He could have been one of Cavans greats but instead he'll be remembered as a glory hunting traitor. A sad legacy to leave behind.