Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: mup on January 28, 2012, 06:47:37 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 06:42:54 PM
Mup - you might have a re-read of your own post and decide if you feel a bit silly! Darcy was born and bred in Dublin. Played for Leitrim as he had family background there and it was allowed by GAA to help weaker counties get stronger. He came back to Dublin few years later.

Dublin hurlers were in effect operating as weaker county in hurling till very recently and hence players that lived and played in Dublin were accepted onto county team. Johnston's setup with Kildare is a Sham pure and simple.

Stand 100% by my statement that it's thousand times better with your own countrymen. That will apply to my county hurling team if we ever manage to win Leinster or all Ireland hurling title. End of!

What information do you have that the rest of us don't that Johnston was poached from Cavan? Can you back up this accusation?

I don't care where Darcy was born. The fact remains that he played with Leitrim before Dublin.

He was born and reared in Dublin though.
As a matter of fact he was playing with Aughawillan in Leitrim illegally as he wasn't living or working in the area.
Dublin was his home county.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hill16 Blues

Mup - you guys are so desperate to win anything you'd do/take any player from anywhere. Johnston will not live in Kildare. The address in Straffan is b*llox! And if you believe he will be committing to travelling from Cavan town where he will actually be living to play or train with St Kevin's you are as gullible as they come!

mup

Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2012, 06:59:51 PM
Quote from: mup on January 28, 2012, 06:47:37 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 06:42:54 PM
Mup - you might have a re-read of your own post and decide if you feel a bit silly! Darcy was born and bred in Dublin. Played for Leitrim as he had family background there and it was allowed by GAA to help weaker counties get stronger. He came back to Dublin few years later.

Dublin hurlers were in effect operating as weaker county in hurling till very recently and hence players that lived and played in Dublin were accepted onto county team. Johnston's setup with Kildare is a Sham pure and simple.

Stand 100% by my statement that it's thousand times better with your own countrymen. That will apply to my county hurling team if we ever manage to win Leinster or all Ireland hurling title. End of!

What information do you have that the rest of us don't that Johnston was poached from Cavan? Can you back up this accusation?

I don't care where Darcy was born. The fact remains that he played with Leitrim before Dublin.

He was born and reared in Dublin though.
As a matter of fact he was playing with Aughawillan in Leitrim illegally as he wasn't living or working in the area.
Dublin was his home county.

That wasn't the point of my argument. He mentioned something about poaching players from other counties. Now I don't know know if Johnston was poached or not but Hill16 Blues seems to know. So I'm wondering does he know something the rest of us don't.

Jinxy

He was clearly poached.
I don't see how anyone could suggest otherwise.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mup

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 07:01:44 PM
Mup - you guys are so desperate to win anything you'd do/take any player from anywhere. Johnston will not live in Kildare. The address in Straffan is b*llox! And if you believe he will be committing to travelling from Cavan town where he will actually be living to play or train with St Kevin's you are as gullible as they come!

I'm not arguing with that fact address his address. You said he was poached and I'm asking you to back up your statement. Thats it really.

Simples. Can you back up the fact that you said he was poached?

mup

Quote from: Jinxy on January 28, 2012, 07:12:44 PM
He was clearly poached.
I don't see how anyone could suggest otherwise.

Ok thats fair enough. Now could you twll me how you know this is true?

Hill16 Blues

You're obviously no Sherlock Holmes!

Let's see I'm inter county footballer who's very highly rated but has fallen out with county manager. Ok I'll pick another county to play with but sure that's not allowed unless I live and play in the other county. Don't want to do that as I'm teacher in Cavan, like my job and don't want to move club. Well what county and manager would be disparate enough to accept this sham and parachute me straight in. Hold on there a second why don't I phone Geezer. Hell 'welcome' me with open arms!

That's poaching / fraud / deceit or whatever you're having yourself!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: mup on January 28, 2012, 06:28:31 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 28, 2012, 06:07:20 PM
Cavan fans are not relaxed and any I've talked to are happy to see the back of him and his rotten attitude. He won't do anything worth talking about with kildare either I'd wager.

Maybe you might know myles. Whats the story? Did he throw his toys out of the pram or was there something else in it?

From what I hear it went as follows...

At the end of last season the entire co panel was disbanded, ie each player was told they were not automatically on next years panel.
When the pre-season started Andrews called in a number of players but omitted 6/7 who were there last season, including Johnston and the captain from the year before, Martin Cahill. (it should be noted that Johnston was dropped by his own club and stripped of the captaincy last summer too)
Andrews called these players out of courtesy to tell them they were not going to be involved (there is debate exactly what was said here, Johnston gave his side but Andrews has not said anything yet. Johnston claims he was told he would not be a Cavan player again. I'd say that is bull.)
Johnston starts looking for a transfer while staying with his club, which is against the rules, his request fails at croke park.
An appeal is said to have legal costs of up to 10k. My understanding is he went to Cavan Gaels to see if they would back him (financially) for this appeal, they said no. He then puts in for a club transfer.

Is that throwing out the toys, probably. But I think for Johnston being a county player is more important than trying to get back on the Cavan county panel or even winning Ulster with his own club. As I've said before, ye are very welcome to him. In Cavan we have good young players coming through and I expect in 10 years time we will have real heros playing for Cavan like we once did before and Johnstons legacy will be one of a quitter and a turn coat.

mup

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 07:18:18 PM
You're obviously no Sherlock Holmes!

Let's see I'm inter county footballer who's very highly rated but has fallen out with county manager. Ok I'll pick another county to play with but sure that's not allowed unless I live and play in the other county. Don't want to do that as I'm teacher in Cavan, like my job and don't want to move club. Well what county and manager would be disparate enough to accept this sham and parachute me straight in. Hold on there a second why don't I phone Geezer. Hell 'welcome' me with open arms!

That's poaching / fraud / deceit or whatever you're having yourself!

By your own admission that blows your poaching theory out of the water.

mup

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 28, 2012, 07:20:38 PM
Cavan fans are not relaxed and any I've talked to are happy to see the back of him and his rotten attitude. He won't do anything worth talking about with kildare either I'd wager.

Maybe you might know myles. Whats the story? Did he throw his toys out of the pram or was there something else in it?

At the end of last season the entire co panel was disbanded, ie each player was told they were not automatically on next years panel.
When the pre-season started Andrews called in a number of players but omitted 6/7 who were there last season, including Johnston and the captain from the year before, Martin Cahill. (it should be noted that Johnston was dropped by his own club and stripped of the captaincy last summer too)
Andrews called these players out of courtesy to tell them they were not going to be involved (there is debate exactly what was said here, Johnston gave his side but Andrews has not said anything yet. Johnston claims he was told he would not be a Cavan player again. I'd say that is bull.)
Johnston starts looking for a transfer while staying with his club, which is against the rules, his request fails at croke park.
An appeal is said to have legal costs of up to 10k. My understanding is he went to Cavan Gaels to see if they would back him (financially) for this appeal, they said no. He then puts in for a club transfer.

Is that throwing out the toys, probably. But I think for Johnston being a county player is more important than trying to get back on the Cavan county panel or even winning Ulster with his own club. As I've said before, ye are very welcome to him. In Cavan we have good young players coming through and I expect in 10 years time we will have real heros playing for Cavan like we once did before and Johnstons legacy will be one of a quitter and a turn coat.

Thank yo Myles. Interesting to hear the story form a Cavan perspective.

Hill16 Blues

Open your eyes will you! It's poaching regardless as to who made the first call.

You should be concerned about the kick in the teeth this is for your younger players coming through particularly if this stroke fails to come off.

mup

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 07:31:21 PM
Open your eyes will you! It's poaching regardless as to who made the first call.

You should be concerned about the kick in the teeth this is for your younger players coming through particularly if this stroke fails to come off.

There you go jumping to conclusions again. Point out where I wrote that I thought Johnstons switch to Kildare was a good thing. For whats it worths I don't think it is.

In fairness I don't think you give a fiddlers about the younger players in Kildare.

Hill16 Blues

anglocelt39

Quote from: mup on January 28, 2012, 07:28:46 PM

Wouldn't necessarily describe that as a Cavan perspective more a Myles perspective although there is probably a bit of truth in there somewhere. Myles  and I share a number of things in common as Cavanmen, we don't play the game, we don't live in the County and we are not involved on a day to day basis with clubs up there so a lot of what we have to say on a subject like this should be considered in that light.  Interestingly there are a number of posters on the Cavan page who are currently playing club football who would not be clubmates of Sean Johnston who have voiced concerns about how the matter was handled on the management side which is worthy of note. They're not saying the player is by any way blameless in the  matter either but would be off the view that it's not a black and white issue.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 28, 2012, 08:29:59 PM
Quote from: mup on January 28, 2012, 07:28:46 PM

Wouldn't necessarily describe that as a Cavan perspective more a Myles perspective although there is probably a bit of truth in there somewhere. Myles  and I share a number of things in common as Cavanmen, we don't play the game, we don't live in the County and we are not involved on a day to day basis with clubs up there so a lot of what we have to say on a subject like this should be considered in that light.  Interestingly there are a number of posters on the Cavan page who are currently playing club football who would not be clubmates of Sean Johnston who have voiced concerns about how the matter was handled on the management side which is worthy of note. They're not saying the player is by any way blameless in the  matter either but would be off the view that it's not a black and white issue.

Couple of things Anglocelt - I do still play the game (in a different county at a lower level no doubt), I have my contacts and many of my friends play for my home club. Just because you know nothing about what is going on at home doesn't mean I don't! I have yet to speak to a Cavan man who holds a view totally opposite to mine and that includes a few very pissed off Gaels men. I did say Andrews has not come out and given his side so unless he does how can we know how he handled it? I've held a view of Johnston's bad attitude (while giving him credit for having great skill) for a long time and you know well now I've been proven right. I held this view based on watching him moan at refs, his own players, kick out at opponents when things go against him like a spoilt child and when the going gets tough Seanie stops fighting for the team. I've watched enough football to know a lad who has an attitude issue. I'm confident this exit will be a good thing for Cavan football, just like when Fermanagh got rid of Rory Gallagher. Ask yourself this - why would a manager in his 2nd season drop the player with the most skill off his panel? Andrews has a lot to prove this year so are we expected to believe he just dropped him for no reason? Do you acknowledge that the Gaels also dropped him and took away his captaincy?