Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: haranguerer on January 26, 2012, 01:32:41 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2012, 12:19:57 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 26, 2012, 11:21:49 AM
Right enough, given that many players who have played co football have then been able to move to whatever club they want and continue playing for the original co, is there anything in the rules to stop seanie playing a game or two for kildare, then transferring back to cavan gaels, and playing for them and Kildare as originally intended? Mebbe hes cute enough  :D

Haranguerer genuine question here (which you are under no obligation to answer).
Did you ever fall out with your home club?

No, I never have, not even in a minor way.

I am so vehement about this though, because to me it does a lot more harm than good. I dont see how an amateur organisation can restrict their players in such a way. I wouldnt like to see the situation whereby lads from anywhere were playing interco for anyone, I think ideally for me it would be like the international set up, play for any club you want, but only your own county.

I'm also confused now.  ???
If you were any use you'd be playing.

kildare2012

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 26, 2012, 09:12:40 AM
Quote from: kildare2012 on January 26, 2012, 08:39:55 AM
St Kevins? Some addition to them, outside Gordon Kearney they lack some quality up front.

Dinny Breen i have played against ST. Kevins and know some of them they have a very strong forward line. Mark Fitzharris, Barry Noone, Eoghan Carew and add Johnston to this. Then they have Gordon Kearney, Jason Brosnan, Mick Kenny and Tom Barron all these have represented Kildare at different levels.

Johnston will very rarely be seen in the red and black if at all. If this whole thing had been handled properly then he'd be playing for Straffan what with him living there and all...  ::)

It's not as if playing for a Junior club would have hindered hiis county prospects because it certainly hasn't for Rob or Peter Kelly. The Kevins/Niall Carew link is fairly damning and it reflects quite badly on the senior management.

as far as i heard he will play a few league and championship  games like the other seniors . That the same as saying if he went to sarsfields that Dermot Earley got him,abit stupid i think. He had to go to some team.

haranguerer

Quote from: hardstation on January 26, 2012, 02:39:34 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 26, 2012, 01:32:41 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2012, 12:19:57 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 26, 2012, 11:21:49 AM
Right enough, given that many players who have played co football have then been able to move to whatever club they want and continue playing for the original co, is there anything in the rules to stop seanie playing a game or two for kildare, then transferring back to cavan gaels, and playing for them and Kildare as originally intended? Mebbe hes cute enough  :D

Haranguerer genuine question here (which you are under no obligation to answer).
Did you ever fall out with your home club?

No, I never have, not even in a minor way.

I am so vehement about this though, because to me it does a lot more harm than good. I dont see how an amateur organisation can restrict their players in such a way. I wouldnt like to see the situation whereby lads from anywhere were playing interco for anyone, I think ideally for me it would be like the international set up, play for any club you want, but only your own county.
So, why are you arguing that SJ should be allowed to play for Kildare (i.e not his own county)?

Because the situation I envision is idealistic, and a good bit in the future, if at all.

Here and now, I think its right to let him play. The players have to have rights. Its an amateur game, and I dont see why anyone, least of all those who roll up on a sunday to watch a game, should have any say on whether or not someone who has busted their balls to reach the top level should be allowed to play or not. When you start paying his wages, then you can do that  ;)

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: kildare2012 on January 26, 2012, 08:09:35 PM
St Kevins? Some addition to them, outside Gordon Kearney they lack some quality up front.

Dinny Breen i have played against ST. Kevins and know some of them they have a very strong forward line. Mark Fitzharris, Barry Noone, Eoghan Carew and add Johnston to this. Then they have Gordon Kearney, Jason Brosnan, Mick Kenny and Tom Barron all these have represented Kildare at different levels.

Johnston will very rarely be seen in the red and black if at all. If this whole thing had been handled properly then he'd be playing for Straffan what with him living there and all...  ::)

It's not as if playing for a Junior club would have hindered hiis county prospects because it certainly hasn't for Rob or Peter Kelly. The Kevins/Niall Carew link is fairly damning and it reflects quite badly on the senior management.

as far as i heard he will play a few league and championship  games like the other seniors . That the same as saying if he went to sarsfields that Dermot Earley got him,abit stupid i think. He had to go to some team.

I'll believe it when I see it. A lad on the Kildare forum was suggesting that his cousin plays for Kevins which is fair enough but if he is supposed to be living in Straffan ( ::)) then Kevins isn't exactly the first club that would spring to mind. Even if he didn't want to play junior football with Straffan he could play with Celbridge who are in the same parish.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

kildare2012

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 26, 2012, 10:34:26 PM
Quote from: kildare2012 on January 26, 2012, 08:09:35 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. A lad on the Kildare forum was suggesting that his cousin plays for Kevins which is fair enough but if he is supposed to be living in Straffan ( ::)) then Kevins isn't exactly the first club that would spring to mind. Even if he didn't want to play junior football with Straffan he could play with Celbridge who are in the same parish.

Why is that Kevins should have beaten Celbridge in the championship last year and with Seanie Johnston it will only make them beter! We will see in time if he plays much anyway!

Hill16 Blues

Have Kildare supporters here no pride in themselves and their county? Johnston is a mercenary pure and simple. He picked Kildare presumably because they are competitive and because you have manager who'll obviously do anything at this point to win silverware. This is a sham and a disgrace if it goes through!

God knows in Dublin we suffered between 1996 and 2011 but we didn't stoop to poach players from other counties even when as with the Gallaghers they actually lived and played their football in Dublin. Winning with your own players is a thousand times better than winning with a chancer like Johnston in your team!

Also can't believe Cavan supporters are so relaxed about this. Cavan Gaels should run him out of the place if he gets away with this. You can be sure his chosen club in Kildare will see little or nothing of him.

mylestheslasher

Cavan fans are not relaxed and any I've talked to are happy to see the back of him and his rotten attitude. He won't do anything worth talking about with kildare either I'd wager.

mup

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 06:01:53 PM
Have Kildare supporters here no pride in themselves and their county? Johnston is a mercenary pure and simple. He picked Kildare presumably because they are competitive and because you have manager who'll obviously do anything at this point to win silverware. This is a sham and a disgrace if it goes through!

God knows in Dublin we suffered between 1996 and 2011 but we didn't stoop to poach players from other counties even when as with the Gallaghers they actually lived and played their football in Dublin. Winning with your own players is a thousand times better than winning with a chancer like Johnston in your team!

Also can't believe Cavan supporters are so relaxed about this. Cavan Gaels should run him out of the place if he gets away with this. You can be sure his chosen club in Kildare will see little or nothing of him.

Declan Darcy, Ryan O'Dwyer, Ciaran Barr. Do you want me to go on? Does that mean Dublin supporters have no pride?

In hindsight I bet you think your post is a bit silly now.

mup

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 28, 2012, 06:07:20 PM
Cavan fans are not relaxed and any I've talked to are happy to see the back of him and his rotten attitude. He won't do anything worth talking about with kildare either I'd wager.

Maybe you might know myles. Whats the story? Did he throw his toys out of the pram or was there something else in it?

Jinxy

Why is Val Andrews so quiet in all of this?
It's not like him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hill16 Blues

Mup - you might have a re-read of your own post and decide if you feel a bit silly! Darcy was born and bred in Dublin. Played for Leitrim as he had family background there and it was allowed by GAA to help weaker counties get stronger. He came back to Dublin few years later.

Dublin hurlers were in effect operating as weaker county in hurling till very recently and hence players that lived and played in Dublin were accepted onto county team. Johnston's setup with Kildare is a Sham pure and simple.

Stand 100% by my statement that it's thousand times better with your own countrymen. That will apply to my county hurling team if we ever manage to win Leinster or all Ireland hurling title. End of!

customsandrevenue

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 06:42:54 PM

Stand 100% by my statement that it's thousand times better with your own countrymen.

Ach now, nobody would be saying that Seán Óg wasn't a Cork man.

mup

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 06:42:54 PM
Mup - you might have a re-read of your own post and decide if you feel a bit silly! Darcy was born and bred in Dublin. Played for Leitrim as he had family background there and it was allowed by GAA to help weaker counties get stronger. He came back to Dublin few years later.

Dublin hurlers were in effect operating as weaker county in hurling till very recently and hence players that lived and played in Dublin were accepted onto county team. Johnston's setup with Kildare is a Sham pure and simple.

Stand 100% by my statement that it's thousand times better with your own countrymen. That will apply to my county hurling team if we ever manage to win Leinster or all Ireland hurling title. End of!

What information do you have that the rest of us don't that Johnston was poached from Cavan? Can you back up this accusation?

I don't care where Darcy was born. The fact remains that he played with Leitrim before Dublin.

Hill16 Blues

Stop will ye. You're talking through you rear!

mup