Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 18, 2012, 01:47:43 PM
Would Bernard Brogan switch to Kildare/Meath if Gilroy dropped him after a bad year?
Would the Gooch switch to Cork/Limerick if he was dropped due to poor form?

Seanie should have just played away with the Gaels and bided his time,
Before the National league was over, and per usual when the shit has hit the fan once again with Cavan struggling,Andrews and co would have been beating down his door begging him to come back.
He's only 27 and would have been there for years after Andrews is gone.

But I don't think Johnston has been dropped due to bad form, their last match was months ago and I am sure he performed better last year than alot of the players on the panel - as asked earlier, is the door open or closed?

If a precedent has been set then the powers that be are surely in an awkward position.  As I mentioned earlier a Down County hurler (still playing for his club in Down) was able to transfer to Armagh.  If this was allowed then so should Johnston's transfer.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Denn Forever

QuoteAs I mentioned earlier a Down County hurler (still playing for his club in Down) was able to transfer to Armagh.  If this was allowed then so should Johnston's transfer.

Is there not some scheme where players from stonger hurling counties can play for weaker counties?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Jinxy

Seanie is obviously not prepared to do what all the other lads on the Cavan panel ARE.
He's their best player so there is no logical reason for Andrews to leave him out unless he is a disruptive influence.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 18, 2012, 03:22:56 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 18, 2012, 01:47:43 PM
Would Bernard Brogan switch to Kildare/Meath if Gilroy dropped him after a bad year?
Would the Gooch switch to Cork/Limerick if he was dropped due to poor form?

Seanie should have just played away with the Gaels and bided his time,
Before the National league was over, and per usual when the shit has hit the fan once again with Cavan struggling,Andrews and co would have been beating down his door begging him to come back.
He's only 27 and would have been there for years after Andrews is gone.

But I don't think Johnston has been dropped due to bad form, their last match was months ago and I am sure he performed better last year than alot of the players on the panel - as asked earlier, is the door open or closed?

If a precedent has been set then the powers that be are surely in an awkward position.  As I mentioned earlier a Down County hurler (still playing for his club in Down) was able to transfer to Armagh.  If this was allowed then so should Johnston's transfer.

His form for Cavan was terrible in 2011,I doubt he would have been dropped if he had been playing like he did against Wicklow in 2010,but he was suffering from injury problems.
As to whether the door is open or closed.
I can't under any circumstances believe the door is entirely closed on him playing in 2012 for Cavan.
Players of Seanie's ability are in short supply in Cavan and Andrews/Hyland are on the hot seat after a disastrous year in the NFL and Championship in 2011, they would have came back for him(Lyng and co) in the Spring,when they started dropping points in the league.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 18, 2012, 03:27:10 PM
QuoteAs I mentioned earlier a Down County hurler (still playing for his club in Down) was able to transfer to Armagh.  If this was allowed then so should Johnston's transfer.

Is there not some scheme where players from stonger hurling counties can play for weaker counties?

Yes there is. Not sure if that's the case here but you are correct.

haranguerer

Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2012, 01:51:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 01:43:37 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:42:06 PM
Could Fermanagh, for example, then just start picking players from Tyrone who can't get on the Tyrone panel?

Yep, and I might start using my contacts in Kerry to get a few boys up to Offaly. Summer job on the bog, and a bit of ball. How bad.

Intersrting that this is exactly how they're trying to get hurling strengthened in weaker counties in the very self same GAA, unless I'm mistaken?

Jinxy, disruptive influence or not in the opinion of this particular manager, does he deserve to be forced out of top level football?? Does Kevin Cassidy?

Theres loads of players playing for counties other than their own anyway - hardstation should be able to name a few there  ;)

Jinxy

Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2012, 04:14:40 PM
Could Fermanagh, for example, then just start picking players from Tyrone who can't get on the Tyrone panel?

Yep, and I might start using my contacts in Kerry to get a few boys up to Offaly. Summer job on the bog, and a bit of ball. How bad.

Intersrting that this is exactly how they're trying to get hurling strengthened in weaker counties in the very self same GAA, unless I'm mistaken?

Jinxy, disruptive influence or not in the opinion of this particular manager, does he deserve to be forced out of top level football?? Does Kevin Cassidy?

Theres loads of players playing for counties other than their own anyway - hardstation should be able to name a few there  ;)

How do you know he's being forced out?
We only have one side of the story here.
Good players are very rarely forced out of inter-county football.
It's the managers call, no one has the god-given right to play for their county.
The team is bigger than any one individual.

sammymaguire

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 02:40:51 PM
So you are suggesting free market movement in a bid to encourage parity? It's a proposal certainly, but it is not something I would be in favour of. I'd prefer to see the weak get off their knees, like Tyrone did.

TYRONE is one of the biggest counties in Ireland!!  :o but yeah, they were quare and weak back in the day  :D
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

haranguerer

Mebbe you're not attending games these days in protest, I dunno.

And also, as I alluded to and nrico stated, an ex tyrone player did try out for fermanagh in the last few years.

Its only controversial when their original co still want them.

jinxy, yes, we have one side of the story - Andrews and his backers. As I said before, andrews is right to do what he feels is best for cavan. But why should players suffer for that. What about cassidy?

Yes, noone has a god given right to play inter co - they work their arse off to get there. Noone either should have a god given right to stop someones interco career if they're good enough. cassidy and Johnson would both get on their inter co teams.

The team is bigger than any one individual - be that player OR MANAGER. And that being so, does that mean the individual has no rights whatsoever? That if a manager falls out with them they have to wait 2/3 years (a long time in a short shelf life) of their career waiting for him to leave/be sacked? How is that benefitting anyone??

Jinxy

What?
We haven't got Andrews side of the story at all.
All we know is that Seanie Johnston said they had a 10 second conversation (which I find highly dubious) and that was that.
FFS, it takes longer than 10 seconds to get off the phone if it's a wrong number.

AQMP

Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2012, 04:14:40 PM

Who's forcing him out?

AFAIK, all players on the current Antrim county panel play for clubs in Antrim

sammymaguire

Andrews is forcing him out AQMP.... is that not clear already? that's what part of this whole debate is about  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Give and Go

You can have all the opinions in the world but the rules are explicit on this issue. He cannot play for another county while playing CLub football for his home club. If he completes an inter county transfer to a county he is now resident in he can play for his new club and his new county or his home county. There are no other options.
Apart from submitting a motion to the next Cavan Convention seeking the rule to be changed, have it passed and onto the Clár at the 2013 Congress!

In the meantime he can drop into his local filling station in Straffan (only shop there) and buy a dummy to suck for the year.

AQMP

Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2012, 04:35:10 PM
Mebbe you're not attending games these days in protest, I dunno.

And also, as I alluded to and nrico stated, an ex tyrone player did try out for fermanagh in the last few years.

Its only controversial when their original co still want them.

jinxy, yes, we have one side of the story - Andrews and his backers. As I said before, andrews is right to do what he feels is best for cavan. But why should players suffer for that. What about cassidy?

Yes, noone has a god given right to play inter co - they work their arse off to get there. Noone either should have a god given right to stop someones interco career if they're good enough. cassidy and Johnson would both get on their inter co teams.

The team is bigger than any one individual - be that player OR MANAGER. And that being so, does that mean the individual has no rights whatsoever? That if a manager falls out with them they have to wait 2/3 years (a long time in a short shelf life) of their career waiting for him to leave/be sacked? How is that benefitting anyone??

What I think you're missing here is a fundamental in the structure of any team sport.  Outside of Cork  ;) there is normally one manager and he/she picks the team.  They then "live or die" by the decisions they make - I don't think you need to look far from Fermanagh for a recent example of that.  What you advocate is carte blanche for a "have boots, will travel" bunch of soccer-esque prima donnas roaming from county to county looking for a gig...there I've said it!

AQMP

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 18, 2012, 04:42:34 PM
Andrews is forcing him out AQMP.... is that not clear already? that's what part of this whole debate is about  :-\

How so?