Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Would Bernard Brogan switch to Kildare/Meath if Gilroy dropped him after a bad year?
Would the Gooch switch to Cork/Limerick if he was dropped due to poor form?

Seanie should have just played away with the Gaels and bided his time,
Before the National league was over, and per usual when the shit has hit the fan once again with Cavan struggling,Andrews and co would have been beating down his door begging him to come back.
He's only 27 and would have been there for years after Andrews is gone.

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:42:06 PM
Could Fermanagh, for example, then just start picking players from Tyrone who can't get on the Tyrone panel?

The Kerry lads who don't make the squad could move to Cork. This of course would upset some of the Cork lads, but they could then play for Limerick. Any Limerick lads annoyed by this could move to Tipp. Displaced Tipp footballers could move to Clare and the inevitably upset Clare boys could play for Waterford. The Waterford lads that lose their places could play Hurling. There!
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 01:43:37 PM
Could Fermanagh, for example, then just start picking players from Tyrone who can't get on the Tyrone panel?

Yep, and I might start using my contacts in Kerry to get a few boys up to Offaly. Summer job on the bog, and a bit of ball. How bad.

Intersrting that this is exactly how they're trying to get hurling strengthened in weaker counties in the very self same GAA, unless I'm mistaken?

Obviously there cant be transfers willy-nilly. But everyone whos against it is quoting the worst possible un governed examples. It wouldnt be perfect, but its not perfect to have players who want to play, not playing. We are not them, so its easy to say they should shut up and put up, but players have a limited shelf life, and if they do have a difference of opinon its not right that they could never play at the top level again. Allowign transfers doesnt actually mean there would be many, it would be a control on managers behaviour too. If not transfers, then what, for I still think somethign needs to be done to protect the player.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Richiej on January 18, 2012, 01:47:12 PM
The question everyone in Cavan seems to be avoiding is has there been a door left open for Seanie to knuckle down with his club and work his way back into the County set up this year??

Or has the door been closed on his return completely??

Only Andrews who made the origional decision in the first place can answer that question.......AND HE HAS NOT.
AND UNTIL HE DOES SEANIE WILL BE SLATED FOR WANTING A MOVE.

Why could Seanie not just play with the Gaels, and
1.Wait for Andrews to come knocking on his door asking him back,when the going gets tough in the spring
2.Wait for Andrews to get turfed out(which unless Cavan have a very good year this year,is likely to happen)

He's only 27 and he looks after himself, He could have 6/7 years left at IC level easily.

AQMP

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 18, 2012, 01:40:00 PM
Regardless of this situation. Any inter-county player should be able to tog out for any club or county team they want given 12 months written notice. That would not affect about 95% of players who would all stick to their home county allegiance.

As the GAA is an amateur sports body, he should be let play for whoever he wants.

Wha' ???  You know what, these tubes from Antrim will win nathin'.  I think I'll play for Kerry this year, then Tyrone in 2013, then the Dubs in 2014.  Good chance of a few handy All Irelands ;)

sammymaguire

why not?, them lads arent getting inter county football and if they wanted to tog out for Fermanagh, then does not that help the GAA overall?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2012, 01:51:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 01:43:37 PM

Yep, and I might start using my contacts in Kerry to get a few boys up to Offaly. Summer job on the bog, and a bit of ball. How bad.

Intersrting that this is exactly how they're trying to get hurling strengthened in weaker counties in the very self same GAA, unless I'm mistaken?

Obviously there cant be transfers willy-nilly. But everyone whos against it is quoting the worst possible un governed examples. It wouldnt be perfect, but its not perfect to have players who want to play, not playing. We are not them, so its easy to say they should shut up and put up, but players have a limited shelf life, and if they do have a difference of opinon its not right that they could never play at the top level again. Allowign transfers doesnt actually mean there would be many, it would be a control on managers behaviour too. If not transfers, then what, for I still think somethign needs to be done to protect the player.

Exactly. It's a move to benefit the counties, not to facilitate players moving where they like. I don't think Kildare need strengthening with footballers from Cavan.

It's a balls of a situation for an individual player, but essentially what you are proposing is that ANY player can play for ANY county. That's just crazy talk. We can't all play intercounty football. Some people get dropped, it's a fact of life. Another immutable fact however, is that if you are good enough, and have a good attitude, you will get back in if you get your head down and work.

You can't just get dropped, throw the head and say feck this I'm going to Kildare/Cork wherever.

hsthompson

What is the actual rule on this? Collie Holmes was able to play for a club in Armagh but still play Tyrone, and lots of players have clubs in Dublin but play for their respective counties. But Johnston can't have a club in Cavan and play for Kildare? Because Cavan is his 'home' county? It's a tricky one on that basis. Hopefully he'll fail in his attempt. It doesn't matter how talented you are, no one has a god given right to play intercounty football. The GAA is bigger than Seanie Johnston and even though it'd be a shame not to see him play for a year or two, the consequences of changing the rules to suit him would be worse for the organisation in the long term. I have more sympathy for Kevin Cassidy whos career has been ended by over zealous manager, but that's the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately.

AZOffaly

Quote from: sammymaguire on January 18, 2012, 01:54:50 PM

why not?, them lads arent getting inter county football and if they wanted to tog out for Fermanagh, then does not that help the GAA overall?

No. It does not. I presume ye are winding here at this stage. Inter county football is a 'representative' team. i.e. You represent the clubs in the county. That's the idea of it. County teams are not supposed to be autonomous entities with no ties to the clubs in the same county. Some people think the GAA is only about playing inter county, as if that's the raison d'etre of the association. It's not. Playing for your county is a great honour and a great achievement, and it is a target for everyone in the county to aim for. It's not some franchise that is skimming the best players from anywhere at all.

AZOffaly

Quote from: hsthompson on January 18, 2012, 01:59:24 PM
What is the actual rule on this? Collie Holmes was able to play for a club in Armagh but still play Tyrone, and lots of players have clubs in Dublin but play for their respective counties. But Johnston can't have a club in Cavan and play for Kildare? Because Cavan is his 'home' county? It's a tricky one on that basis. Hopefully he'll fail in his attempt. It doesn't matter how talented you are, no one has a god given right to play intercounty football. The GAA is bigger than Seanie Johnston and even though it'd be a shame not to see him play for a year or two, the consequences of changing the rules to suit him would be worse for the organisation in the long term. I have more sympathy for Kevin Cassidy whos career has been ended by over zealous manager, but that's the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately.

I went through this myself, so I know how it used to be at least. Someone else can clarify if it is the same way. Your first membership is to your initial club. You are then entitled to play for the county your club plays in.

If you fill out an inter county transfer, due to work or whatever, to a new club, there is a section in the paperwork which specifically asks - Do you wish to declare for the county of your new club, or do you wish to retain your affiliation with your original county.

The thing is, you don't transfer counties per se. You transfer club. If, during the course of transferring to the new club, you wish to make yourself eligable for your new county, you may do so. The important point is that is only a SECONDARY aspect of the real transfer, which is between clubs.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 02:04:13 PM
Quote from: hsthompson on January 18, 2012, 01:59:24 PM

I went through this myself, so I know how it used to be at least. Someone else can clarify if it is the same way. Your first membership is to your initial club. You are then entitled to play for the county your club plays in.

If you fill out an inter county transfer, due to work or whatever, to a new club, there is a section in the paperwork which specifically asks - Do you wish to declare for the county of your new club, or do you wish to retain your affiliation with your original county.

The thing is, you don't transfer counties per se. You transfer club. If, during the course of transferring to the new club, you wish to make yourself eligable for your new county, you may do so. The important point is that is only a SECONDARY aspect of the real transfer, which is between clubs.

Correct.

hsthompson

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 02:00:54 PM

No. It does not. I presume ye are winding here at this stage. Inter county football is a 'representative' team. i.e. You represent the clubs in the county. That's the idea of it. County teams are not supposed to be autonomous entities with no ties to the clubs in the same county. Some people think the GAA is only about playing inter county, as if that's the raison d'etre of the association. It's not. Playing for your county is a great honour and a great achievement, and it is a target for everyone in the county to aim for. It's not some franchise that is skimming the best players from anywhere at all.

Well said AZ

sammymaguire

Quote from: AQMP on January 18, 2012, 01:53:06 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on January 18, 2012, 01:40:00 PM
Regardless of this situation. Any inter-county player should be able to tog out for any club or county team they want given 12 months written notice. That would not affect about 95% of players who would all stick to their home county allegiance.

As the GAA is an amateur sports body, he should be let play for whoever he wants.

Wha' ???  You know what, these tubes from Antrim will win nathin'.  I think I'll play for Kerry this year, then Tyrone in 2013, then the Dubs in 2014.  Good chance of a few handy All Irelands ;)

how many Antrim players are good enough to have this luxury.... ?? the more successful counties do trials too and the respective manager's would not be getting over excited about CJ and the likes coming on board when they have the players they already have at their disposal I'm sure   :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 01:19:28 PM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on January 18, 2012, 01:14:01 PM
He needs to transfer to a Kildare club and I heard a rumour he was doing so, with Celbridge, but then you hear so many rumours.

Personally as a Kildare supporter I'd rather we stuck with our own, but if he lives in Kildare and plays with a Kildare club then what can you do - and lord knows we lost out badly ourselves in the past on Larry Tompkins and Shay Fahy.

If he doesn't fulfill the above criteria, I'd be shocked if he gets a transfer.

I'd agree, but I don't think ye can use the 'lord knows we lost out' in the past argument :) Lacey, O'Dwyer, Murphy ?

Good players all three AZ, but nowhere near in the same class as the ones I've mentioned. In my opinion we still came out on the debit side and Cork would have two less All-Irelands if it wasn't for us!

Should also note that Niall Browne from Kildare plays for Clare and Declan Brennan from Kildare was on the Derry panel... neither of them were important parts of the Kildare set-up, but then Johnston is hardly an important part of the Cavan set-up any more. Just pointing out that transfers happen all the time - Smith to Cavan, Padden to Armagh, several Dublin hurlers etc, etc.

And this current case is not as bad as, say, Thomas Walsh being lured to Wicklow, at a time when he was Carlow's best player.

Though I'd reiterate, I'd prefer we didn't pursue Johnston if that's what we're doing, particularly if he doesn't really even live in Kildare, let alone play for a Kildare club. We have plenty of good footballers. True, Johnston on top form would add something, but that doesn't make it right.

sammymaguire

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:57:59 PM

Doesn't help it in Fermanagh when you could have full Fermanagh panel without 1 Fermanagh man.

Course it does, the fans are happy and the Fermanagh players know where they need to get to to be considered good enough
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!