Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Let him play wherever to f**k he wants. Why should any manager be able to completely stop his inter -co career - its a joke! Same goes for Kevin Cassidy, his inter co career could conceivably be finished, over some jumped up p***k of a manager trying to form omerta. why should the players be made suffer?

Jinxy

I'd cut off my big toe before I'd pay to watch a Cavan man playing for us.
Come on flourbags, you're better than this.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mylestheslasher

He teaches in Cavan and he lives in Cavan. Some kind person gave him an address in Straffan to use while communicating with Croke Park. This he did without informing his club or county board. Is anyone stupid enough to believe he drives from Kildare to Cavan to work every day.

In my opinion he is a player with a lot of ability but with a serious attitude problem. He is one of 4 big names dropped of the panel for the McKenna cup and the only one in the media whinging about it. He knows rightly why he was dropped too! He could dig in and play with his club and work his way back but no, Seanie is such a super star he should transfer to another county.

If thats his attitude Kildare are welcome to him but he may stay in Straffan because outside of the Cavan Gaels he will be a hate figure for a lot of people at home. Cavan have good young players coming through and they don't need this boy bringing them down with his attitude. I have no doubt his ego will win the day and he'll transfer away from Cavan Gaels too and probably work a new job down there. I just wish we could get Bernard Morris out of retirement to mark him whenever the two team meet again.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2012, 01:23:36 PM
Let him play wherever to f**k he wants. Why should any manager be able to completely stop his inter -co career - its a joke! Same goes for Kevin Cassidy, his inter co career could conceivably be finished, over some jumped up p***k of a manager trying to form omerta. why should the players be made suffer?

And what do you know about Johnstons behaviour in the senior panel last year - zero I guess! You think Andrews just dropped his best player for a bit of craic?

haranguerer

Utterly irrelevant to my argument. Andrews is entitled to do whatever he wants to make cavan as successful as they can be in the way he believes best. As is McGuiness. Seanie may have a reputation for being disruptive, but hes still a damn good player who has put a lot into his football. Are you saying that because he has had clashes with Andrews he should be banished from inter co football until (if and when) someone else comes along who he gets on with? Why? What possible benefit is it to our game to have one of the best forwards in Ulster not playing?

Cassidy too - a long successful career, good servant etc, thrown off the panel on a managers whim. Unlikely to play inter co football again. Fair?

AQMP

Letting him play "wherever the f**k he wants" would be catastrophic for the GAA.

Well in my day, it was the manager who picked the team.  When did this change?

heffo

Why should any manager be able to completely stop his inter -co career

Assuming this isn't a rhetorical question, it's the right of every manager to include or exclude as he sees fit?

Didn't he go play for St Brendans in Chicago in 2007 when Cavan needed him for the qualifiers?

nrico2006

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:06:43 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 12:49:17 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 12:36:30 PM
What's the story here? He lives in Kildare and wants to play for Kildare but wants to remain with Cavan Gaels?

Can't do that. Dean O'Neill tried this last year for Antrim. Played a couple of games before it was confirmed that he wasn't allowed.

Lived in Antrim, wanted to play for Antrim but wanted to remain at Omagh St Endas.

I think the real issue hardstation is that he doesn't even really live in Kildare.
That's neither here nor there though. Unless he changes club, he can't play for another county.

Antrim could cream off all the best students in Ulster who are living/studying in Belfast?

You sure, doesn't Ruairi McGrattan still play with his home club in Down yet he plays for Armagh hurlers?  As for Johnston, what exactly has he done to be thrown off the panel?  I agree that he should be able to transfer as this carry on should not be tolerated. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2012, 01:34:13 PM
Utterly irrelevant to my argument. Andrews is entitled to do whatever he wants to make cavan as successful as they can be in the way he believes best. As is McGuiness. Seanie may have a reputation for being disruptive, but hes still a damn good player who has put a lot into his football. Are you saying that because he has had clashes with Andrews he should be banished from inter co football until (if and when) someone else comes along who he gets on with? Why? What possible benefit is it to our game to have one of the best forwards in Ulster not playing?

Cassidy too - a long successful career, good servant etc, thrown off the panel on a managers whim. Unlikely to play inter co football again. Fair?

Where would this stop? Lads get dropped off county panels every day of the week at this time of year. Should they all be allowed transfer to some other county that will have them? Hard cases make bad laws, and this one would be a disaster.

heffo

Quote from: AQMP on January 18, 2012, 01:35:22 PM

Well in my day, it was the manager who picked the team.  When did this change?

http://tribune.maithu.com/article/2008/oct/26/wary-rebels-rise-up-again/

sammymaguire

Regardless of this situation. Any inter-county player should be able to tog out for any club or county team they want given 12 months written notice. That would not affect about 95% of players who would all stick to their home county allegiance.

As the GAA is an amateur sports body, he should be let play for whoever he wants.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

fitzroyalty

Seen a lot of this on twitter and to be honest Johnston is making a dick of himself. From what I gathered he wants to stay at his home club but play for Kildare. Comes out with a sob story that he got a ten second phonecall saying he wasn't needed yet it seems he couldn't wait to declare for another county.  I'd say there's a very good reason he isn't in the management's plans. If he is indeed living and playing club football in Kildare then by all means the transfer should go ahead but if he's pretending to have an address there, is working and playing in Cavan then he should stop whinging and either try getting back on the Cavan team or retire from intercounty.

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:42:06 PM
Could Fermanagh, for example, then just start picking players from Tyrone who can't get on the Tyrone panel?

Yep, and I might start using my contacts in Kerry to get a few boys up to Offaly. Summer job on the bog, and a bit of ball. How bad.

haranguerer

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:33:06 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 18, 2012, 01:26:38 PM

And what do you know about Johnstons behaviour in the senior panel last year - zero I guess! You think Andrews just dropped his best player for a bit of craic?
Exactly. So, every time a player gets dropped (or decides he doesn't want to play with these bunch of stupid fockers anymore) he can just fcuk off and play for another county? No chance.

Like all the Fermanagh lads could have played for Cavan last year and then transfer back when Canavan was appointed?

Yeah, that'd be great.

And what did happen was great, wasnt it??! That situation never would or could arise anyway. I just dont understand how people can happily support players not being allowed to play, for little reason. They've put their life into their sport to reach the top level, they dont then deserve to be barred from playing it at that level for no good reason. IN other sports, its self regulating by a transfer system, if that isnt the case in gaa then there should be something in place to protect players rights in these incidents.

haranguerer

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:42:06 PM
Could Fermanagh, for example, then just start picking players from Tyrone who can't get on the Tyrone panel?

;)  :D