Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samwin08

I back Seanie 100% on this. An outside manager (maybe paid)  has come into Cavan and excluded a proven young  Cavan county player from representing his county. This is wrong and GAA rules should allow this young man to ply his trade where he is working or  living , even with out changing clubs.
If it is challenged in the DRA, he might just win it.
I can think of a few other examples where this has happened--Roscommon--Frankie Dolan, Cavan --Dermot Mc Cabe are just a few.

Give and Go

No way. I don't for one minute believe that Seanie Johnston is living in Straffan and commuting each morning to teach in Cavan and is willing to continue playing with Cavan Gaels.. The rule is clear. He hasnt a hope.
let him transfer to a Kildare club and then he can line out for the Lilywhites.
Even if McGeeney wants him there is no way Kildare Co Board or Clubs will tolerate a non native coming in and taking a jersey off a Kildare man if he is not playing in the County.
Another inter county prima donna?

Onlooker

orangeman

Living in Straffan and teaching in Cavan ?. How long has he been doing this commute ?.

Should he not just get an "address" closer to Cavan and save him a lot of diesel, time and effort commuting ?.

muppet

Quote from: Give and Go on January 18, 2012, 12:24:22 PM
No way. I don't for one minute believe that Seanie Johnston is living in Straffan and commuting each morning to teach in Cavan and is willing to continue playing with Cavan Gaels.. The rule is clear. He hasnt a hope.
let him transfer to a Kildare club and then he can line out for the Lilywhites.
Even if McGeeney wants him there is no way Kildare Co Board or Clubs will tolerate a non native coming in and taking a jersey off a Kildare man if he is not playing in the County.
Another inter county prima donna?

I am usually in the minority here by taking a liberal view, but I think that the bold above is fair enough.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 12:36:30 PM
What's the story here? He lives in Kildare and wants to play for Kildare but wants to remain with Cavan Gaels?

Can't do that. Dean O'Neill tried this last year for Antrim. Played a couple of games before it was confirmed that he wasn't allowed.

Lived in Antrim, wanted to play for Antrim but wanted to remain at Omagh St Endas.

I think the real issue hardstation is that he doesn't even really live in Kildare. He teaches in Cavan, so it would seem to be a strange commute and life decision for a fella to work in Cavan, play with Cavan, play with Cavan Gaels and still live in Straffan? Now I know women do strange things to you, but even if that's a factor, I think you'd be looking at changing club as well.

Even the way he said it in the newspaper report made me think someone was giving him digs for the purposes of being a resident, he said 'I am now a resident in Kildare'. I know it's semantics but it just read as if it were an awkward phrase, deliberately chosen.

Then heffo's post on the other thread puts a comical tin hat on that idea anyway.

Bingo

Reading his peice yesterday he seemed to be saying its his right to play inter county football while he is still young and able. But he wants to continue to play with the Cavan Gaels and to do so they will have to take the case to the DRA so that he can transfer to Kildare but stay with his club.

How realistic is it that he is living in Kildare?? Seems far fetched. Why if he wants to continue to play Intercounty so much didn't he look to a neighbouring county - Fermanagh, Longford, Monaghan, Leitrim.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on January 18, 2012, 12:59:02 PM
Reading his peice yesterday he seemed to be saying its his right to play inter county football while he is still young and able. But he wants to continue to play with the Cavan Gaels and to do so they will have to take the case to the DRA so that he can transfer to Kildare but stay with his club.

How realistic is it that he is living in Kildare?? Seems far fetched. Why if he wants to continue to play Intercounty so much didn't he look to a neighbouring county - Fermanagh, Longford, Monaghan, Leitrim.

I suspect that's a leading question. :D

As I said in the other thread, sure Offaly is closer to Cavan than Kildare is.

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:06:43 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 12:49:17 PM
What's the story here? He lives in Kildare and wants to play for Kildare but wants to remain with Cavan Gaels?

Can't do that. Dean O'Neill tried this last year for Antrim. Played a couple of games before it was confirmed that he wasn't allowed.

Lived in Antrim, wanted to play for Antrim but wanted to remain at Omagh St Endas.

I think the real issue hardstation is that he doesn't even really live in Kildare.
That's neither here nor there though. Unless he changes club, he can't play for another county.

Antrim could cream off all the best students in Ulster who are living/studying in Belfast?

True. You're coming at it from the rule that Johnston is appealing against. You're 100% correct.

I'm just saying that even his appeal seems to be on tenous grounds, at best.

heffo

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:06:43 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2012, 12:49:17 PM

I think the real issue hardstation is that he doesn't even really live in Kildare.
Antrim could cream off all the best students in Ulster who are living/studying in Belfast?

No they couldn't! Students are not eligible for IC transfers for this very reason.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Bingo on January 18, 2012, 12:59:02 PM

Well I think we all know the answer to that one. They are not good enough in his eyes. Apart from maybe Monaghan and he wasn't going to move there coming from Cavan.

heffo

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2012, 01:10:55 PM
Ah, he's appealing that rule.

Can't see that working out for him.

His case with the DRA is a real test case - HQ will be pulling out the big guns on this one.

Ohtoohtobe

He needs to transfer to a Kildare club and I heard a rumour he was doing so, with Celbridge, but then you hear so many rumours.

Personally as a Kildare supporter I'd rather we stuck with our own, but if he lives in Kildare and plays with a Kildare club then what can you do - and lord knows we lost out badly ourselves in the past on Larry Tompkins and Shay Fahy.

If he doesn't fulfill the above criteria, I'd be shocked if he gets a transfer.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on January 18, 2012, 01:14:01 PM
He needs to transfer to a Kildare club and I heard a rumour he was doing so, with Celbridge, but then you hear so many rumours.

Personally as a Kildare supporter I'd rather we stuck with our own, but if he lives in Kildare and plays with a Kildare club then what can you do - and lord knows we lost out badly ourselves in the past on Larry Tompkins and Shay Fahy.

If he doesn't fulfill the above criteria, I'd be shocked if he gets a transfer.

I'd agree, but I don't think ye can use the 'lord knows we lost out' in the past argument :) Lacey, O'Dwyer, Murphy ?