Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on February 12, 2018, 04:27:12 PM
Me, when I read Joe's latest anecdote-riddled article.

The cross dressing comes as no surprise to me, no wonder ye are gone to the dogs.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Seany

In yesterday's Sindo, Joe Brolly did one of his humorously reflective pieces where he makes folk heroes out of... the thugs who disgraced the integrity of the GAA at the 1990 Sigerson weekend hosted by Trinity College. Utter drunken scumbags wrecked, vandalized and laid waste to the Trinity University Boathouse which was kindly given to the GAA for a social night on the Saturday night. What occurred that night was a blight on the reputation of the GAA and Higher Efucation and the antithesis of every value the GAA holds dear.

But sure as long as Joe gets a few funny stories in, what's the harm.

...and he was a student of TCD at the time.

Kickham csc

Quote from: Seany on February 26, 2018, 07:20:22 AM
In yesterday's Sindo, Joe Brolly did one of his humorously reflective pieces where he makes folk heroes out of... the thugs who disgraced the integrity of the GAA at the 1990 Sigerson weekend hosted by Trinity College. Utter drunken scumbags wrecked, vandalized and laid waste to the Trinity University Boathouse which was kindly given to the GAA for a social night on the Saturday night. What occurred that night was a blight on the reputation of the GAA and Higher Efucation and the antithesis of every value the GAA holds dear.

But sure as long as Joe gets a few funny stories in, what's the harm.

...and he was a student of TCD at the time.

Thought that myself.

I believe he also embellished a few stories as well. Heard a lot of UUJ stories over the years, never heard the one about throwing TVs out the window. Doubt if there was any truth about that story, as if it was, I would have (at least) heard of one version of the story

Also, don't know how he equates the stories as being part of character building

Seany

I think he mentioned the Gresham.  I doubt if they would have been staying there, to be honest.  And on a practical level, hotel windows have to be latched in such a way as to make opening them to throw anything or anybody out of them impossible.  Toughened glass too.  Practical, insurance concerns.  So that's actually a lie he told. 

Re the Trinity Boathouse incident.  It was just an utterly shameful episode and totally against what the GAA is about.  That boatclubs may not be from the same tradition as GAA people, but that does not make them 'legitimate targets'.  The thugs who wrecked it that night were despicable scumbags. 

If that's the sort of behaviour Brolly wants to make into a nice warm folk tale, it's his business, but it's further evidence of his sense of values, his ability to distort facts and his penchant to tell a total lie if it helps the story.

trileacman

Cool kid Joe reliving stories for the lads. Such a lad our joe, he's so cool. Drunken vandalism, class. A true Gael. Good of him to stick it to those lazy, over-rated rower toffs. They were probably all just dirty prods anyway. Good to see the common, working class, trinity law student take them down a peg or two.

Hitting the gaa president in the face with a chicken leg. Brilliant. Such a lad. Hope someone does that at the next final banquet or all star gala. Joe can write us another cool factual piece celebrating the hero who chucked it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

I've very little interest in pulling apart the holes in Joes piece. It's a curious insight into his mind though, Jesus he's obsessed with name dropping and bigging up his involvement in laddish behaviour. The vast majority of his writing is one big pissing contest, like he's constantly trying to sell himself as cool to the lads he doesn't know at a stag party.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Therealdonald

Do none of you think that perhaps Joe is harking back to a time when there was more craic in the game and devilment outside of it? Instead of the bland players we have now? Is that not what he's getting at?

thewobbler

I'm not quite sure what the Brolly down brigade want from a sports columnist.

He's not a journalist and it's not his role to provide accuracate records of events. His role is to offer insight and entertainment... which is a borderline impossible task to do with any consistent quality -especially in a sphere as narrow as Gaelic Games - unless it is peppered with unusual opinion, used to reinforce common themes, and enjoys the kind of minor embellishments which elevate an occurrence that happens in every day life, into something more topical or memorable.

The dourness of some of the commentators in this thread is staggering, and I can only imagine they're the same people who gain enjoyment from glaring at people who aren't solemn enough when being forced into mass or such like.

Gmac

Quote from: trileacman on February 26, 2018, 07:50:04 PM
I've very little interest in pulling apart the holes in Joes piece. It's a curious insight into his mind though, Jesus he's obsessed with name dropping and bigging up his involvement in laddish behaviour. The vast majority of his writing is one big pissing contest, like he's constantly trying to sell himself as cool to the lads he doesn't know at a stag party.
he should have some good tales to tell after last Saturday night in SAN Francisco .

Taylor

Superb piece by Joe yesterday.

People are crying out for change but fear it wont happen and the corporate gravy train will roll on

Esmarelda

Quote from: thewobbler on February 26, 2018, 08:13:41 PM
I'm not quite sure what the Brolly down brigade want from a sports columnist.

He's not a journalist and it's not his role to provide accurate records of events. His role is to offer insight and entertainment... which is a borderline impossible task to do with any consistent quality -especially in a sphere as narrow as Gaelic Games - unless it is peppered with unusual opinion, used to reinforce common themes, and enjoys the kind of minor embellishments which elevate an occurrence that happens in every day life, into something more topical or memorable.

The dourness of some of the commentators in this thread is staggering, and I can only imagine they're the same people who gain enjoyment from glaring at people who aren't solemn enough when being forced into mass or such like.
I would consider someone that writes articles in a newspaper to be a journalist. I would also suggest that whatever he writes should be accurate. Entertainment is secondary and fine, but not at the expense of accuracy.

The Bearded One

He's a columnist in a newspaper, not a journalist.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Esmarelda

Quote from: The Bearded One on March 05, 2018, 02:46:28 PM
He's a columnist in a newspaper, not a journalist.
And that changes his role as outlined by thewobbler?

thewobbler

A columnist is to a journalist is what a commentator is to an analyst. The roles might mingle occasionally but the former describes the action, the latter interprets it.

Orchard park

Quote from: Taylor on March 05, 2018, 02:34:02 PM
Superb piece by Joe yesterday.

People are crying out for change but fear it wont happen and the corporate gravy train will roll on

in fairness to Brilly he has consistently called out the road we are heading down fast, 6.5 million shuts up the GPA basically and the decision seems to be ignore the CPA at all costs.....
there is nobody else in mainstream media as consistent as Brolly about the crisis we are in........like him or loathe him but he is right