implications of the election for the 6 counties

Started by randomtask, February 26, 2011, 10:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomtask

I think that this election will have a big bearing in the north particulary for nationalist voters. Will nationalists see the gains made by sinn fein and think that a united ireland is now possible through the medium of politics? will some SDLP voters transfer their vote to sinn fein because of this? 

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: randomtask on February 26, 2011, 10:28:29 PM
I think that this election will have a big bearing in the north particulary for nationalist voters. Will nationalists see the gains made by sinn fein and think that a united ireland is now possible through the medium of politics? will some SDLP voters transfer their vote to sinn fein because of this?

Didn't realise Sinn Féin was likely to form part of the next Irish government.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

you beat me to it random. this will send the shivers up the nordie parties particulary the stoops and the duppers to a lesser extent. people dont forget that the stoops did their best to snuggle up to finna fail but got a kick in the mouth
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tonto

Quote from: lawnseed on February 26, 2011, 10:52:29 PM
you beat me to it random. this will send the shivers up the nordie parties particulary the stoops and the duppers to a lesser extent. people dont forget that the stoops did their best to snuggle up to finna fail but got a kick in the mouth
Are FF not still a bigger party than PSF despite FF having their worst performance ever?

Anyway, the main party are now Fine Gael.  With those West Brits back in charge they'll be inviting the Brits back to Dublin Castle before long. ;)

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 26, 2011, 11:37:58 PM
What's PSF??  :o

its Tonto quoting his heroes from bygone days, the DUP. It's Provisional Sinn Fein
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Ulick

There will be ramifications of some sort but it's too early to tell. On the one hand nationalists will be encouraged by SF becoming more prominent in the south and but more importantly SF can trumpet it as justification of their strategy of trying to move political power and influence back to this island - all while the Stoops sit impotent in Westminster. On the other hand, unionists won't like an "'Éire" politician (Gerry A) dictating to them who their First or deputy First Minister will be, so I'd expect Robinson and the rest to pull their horns in.

BTW Don't forget this is the first election SF have properly contested in the south i.e. without northern distractions, so it is very encouraging. The next one is the big one for SF and northerners...

Tonto

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 26, 2011, 11:41:14 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on February 26, 2011, 11:37:58 PM
What's PSF??  :o

its Tonto quoting his heroes from bygone days, the DUP. It's Provisional Sinn Fein
Have never supported the DUP nor is there much of an indication that that is going to change.

Regardless, I shall allow that to slide and assure you that I have got my information from a very... erm... reputable source:
http://www.sinnfein.org/index2.html

I think the name is in reference to their forebears who also carry the name 'Provisional'.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tonto on February 26, 2011, 11:29:46 PM
Are FF not still a bigger party than PSF despite FF having their worst performance ever?

Anyway, the main party are now Fine Gael.  With those West Brits back in charge they'll be inviting the Brits back to Dublin Castle before long. ;)

Feck off Tonto  ::) Nationalist Republican Fine Gael all the way, you'll be getting a vote for the Irish Presidency soon  ;)

lawnseed

Quote from: Tonto on February 26, 2011, 11:29:46 PM

tonto i think its fair to say that everyone in the new dail is irish and have the best interests of the country at heart but are intitled to their point of view, i just heard garret fitzgerald pay gerry adams probably the greatest compliment ever he recieved on irish television i have to say i was surprised. i think its time for mature politics not point scoring, alot of things that sinn fein said would happen have come to pass. in fairness no one can point to fitzgerald and say he was a cronie type but he has been in the past very critical of sinn fein.. things change
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

sammymaguire

I can only see this election being a knee jerk reaction from FF to the obvious choose FG, not peoples' admiration of FG or Enda Kenny.... He is on a hiding to nothing at least Sinn Fein are not in the firing line this time around so should be in a very strong position in 4-5 years time
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Ulick

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 26, 2011, 10:47:00 PM

For northerners it's not about being part of this government Mayo. We're used to playing the long game. In terms of what will happen up here it's all about momentum. SF making big gains on the national stage while their opposition, the SDLP, sit in the British Parliament across the water, unable to do anything but take home big wages and expenses - while SF mix it up with the big boys in Dáil Éireann. 

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Ulick on February 26, 2011, 11:50:38 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 26, 2011, 10:47:00 PM

For northerners it's not about being part of this government Mayo. We're used to playing the long game. In terms of what will happen up here it's all about momentum. SF making big gains on the national stage while their opposition, the SDLP, sit in the British Parliament across the water, unable to do anything but take home big wages and expenses - while SF mix it up with the big boys in Dáil Éireann.

Maybe the SDLP should come to the Republic!