Tridentine Mass

Started by Donagh, November 16, 2008, 03:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

The wife would go every week and I'd go to the Novus Ordo (normal/modern/ordinary), mostly for the sake of the kids. But I was wondering what the rest of ye thought of it.

For those who don't know much about it, a Tridentine Mass is the old Latin version that was used before VaticanII. Ever since then, there're a few societies that keep the tradition going but they're shunned by the established church. The present Pope put a thing out the other year called a 'Motu Proprio' which basically said it's okay to have the old Mass and all Bishops should make arrangements for those that want to attend. However in reality, most Bishops are quite hostile and in most cases won't allow the Mass to be said in their churches, to the extent that in Belfast at the moment if you want a Latin Mass of a Sunday, you have  to attend in the back storeroom of a shop on the Andytown Road.

Now even though I'm a sceptical/non-believer, I'd still defend the right of others to practice and I reckon the way Catholic Church treats members of its own community in this way is nothing short of scandalous.

Pangurban

See where you are coming from Donagh, but the problem is not as simple are clear cut as you suggest. Many groups who are not in full communion with Rome are using the Tridentine Mass as vehicle of protest. There is also a shortage of priests who would be fully capable to conduct a Tridentine Mass. You are of course right when you state that their is no objection in principle to the Tridentine service, but the fact is demand for it is very limited.

Donagh

I don't know about that Pangurban. For starters, from what I can see, the Society of St. Pius X is the only Order in the Catholic Church which is having an influx of vocations and there seems to be a big demand within the Latin Mass Society for exsisting priests to train themselves up in the old Mass.

In terms of people looking for the Mass every Sunday in Belfast, we're talking at least 40 people cramming themselves into a room on the A'town Rd every week, when really they should be provided with a Chapel. To me it seems a major dereliction on behalf of the Catholic Church that they are forcing members of their own congregation into backrooms  when they should be provided with proper facilities.

TacadoirArdMhacha

St Brigid's Derryvolgie has a Latin mass on a Sunday though it isn't a proper Tridentine mass - just the normal service in the Latin language.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

pintsofguinness

What's the point in having a Latin mass? Do you speak Latin?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Stalin

Jesus, Wrigley's will have to react to these aggressive marketing strategies by sponsoring some church services in OWC.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

fearglasmor

What is the difference between a Tridentine mas and a regular mass.

I thought it eas just the language used,  but from a posting below it seems not.

kickingmule

The Latin mass was celebrated with the priest @ the front of the altar, with his back to the congregation.
the altar boys played a big part, with all the Latin responses, ...... they could often quicken up proceedings, if there was a slow priest. ...ha ha!!!

Niall Quinn

Quote from: fearglasmor on November 16, 2008, 06:50:27 PM
I thought it eas just the language used,  but from a posting below it seems not.

How did you know what the post below was going to say??
I see dead people.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

fearglasmor

Quote from: Niall Quinn on November 17, 2008, 06:00:02 AM

How did you know what the post below was going to say??
I see dead people.

I sort posts most recent to the top.

Shoooby doooby doooby dooo bom bom
Shoooby doooby doooby dooo bom bom
Shoooby dooo bom bom
Shoooby dooo bom bom
Shoooby dooo
Shoooby doooby doooby doooby doo

heganboy

They used to do a Latin mass in SPCA before them CBS clowns came in...
agus as gaeilge fosta...
and an auld bearla one every morning
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Pangurban

Donagh referred to the Society of St.Pius X, this is a rather shady organisation with aims and intents which border on Schism. For the official Church view on them, i would refer him to the following website,

http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CEDSSPX.HTM

Donagh

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 16, 2008, 11:31:43 AM
What's the point in having a Latin mass? Do you speak Latin?

1. You get missals with Latin on one side and translation on the opposite page.
2. It's the same Mass no matter where in the world you go.
3. Was the version of the Mass used for over a thousand years - some people prefer it
4. As in 3 above many people find the modern Mass a bit happy clappy and feel it has lost some of the solemnity of the old Mass.

Donagh

What is the difference between a Tridentine mas and a regular mass.

It's a different service altogether. The Tridentine Mass would make a lot more use of symbolism, the structure of the liturgy is very different, less direct participation by the congregation, altar servers do the responses, communion on your knees at the altar rail etc...

Donagh

Quote from: Pangurban on November 17, 2008, 10:56:22 PM
Donagh referred to the Society of St.Pius X, this is a rather shady organisation with aims and intents which border on Schism. For the official Church view on them, i would refer him to the following website,

http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CEDSSPX.HTM

Ach come on Pangurban, they are hardly a "shady organisation" now. They're a bunch of traditionalist priests who refused to be gagged in their criticisms of the Vatican in return for the right to celebrate the old Mass. As a result they were castigated by all and sunder until the new Pope took office.