Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on June 14, 2016, 11:16:53 AM
does anyone in the DUP understand how the real world works ?

They do - once it's the 17th century world. :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Quote from: AQMP on June 14, 2016, 11:23:24 AM
Why does the DUP support Brexit? Does anyone in the DUP understand how the real world works ?

Because they think Brexit will lead to greater separation between NI and RoI and they think that will play well with their base suport
Unionists also tend to vote with their gut and see everything in black and white. Thats why they will vote Brexit at heart the are British Nationalists and intrinisically xenophobic  and economics doesn't come in to it. Forster is one of the worst examples of this type of unionism, First Minister for al my a**e.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 14, 2016, 12:18:25 PM
Why does the DUP support Brexit? Does anyone in the DUP understand how the real world works ?

Because they think Brexit will lead to greater separation between NI and RoI and they think that will play well with their base suport
Unionists also tend to vote with their gut and see everything in black and white. Thats why they will vote Brexit at heart the are British Nationalists and intrinisically xenophobic  and economics doesn't come in to it. Forster is one of the worst examples of this type of unionism, First Minister for al my a**e.

Yeah they see it as pulling away from the Republic which should strengthen them... I doubt it.

In reality a fair chunk of the North will vote to stay in expecially Nationalists and a fair chunk of Unionism, I can't see the Farmer's foregoing their single farm payment.

I still expect the status quo to hold although it will be very very close!

vallankumous

Quote from: screenexile on June 14, 2016, 12:28:31 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 14, 2016, 12:18:25 PM

Yeah they see it as pulling away from the Republic which should strengthen them... I doubt it.

In reality a fair chunk of the North will vote to stay in expecially Nationalists and a fair chunk of Unionism, I can't see the Farmer's foregoing their single farm payment.

I still expect the status quo to hold although it will be very very close!

Little matter of geography they may be overlooking.

Tony Baloney

This needs a poll. I think the north will be clear majority voting to remain but appears to be tighter across the water. After recent elections and Scottish independence vote I'm ignoring the fact that polls have Leave ahead. I still think Remain will win fairly comfortably.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 14, 2016, 02:36:54 PM
This needs a poll. I think the north will be clear majority voting to remain but appears to be tighter across the water. After recent elections and Scottish independence vote I'm ignoring the fact that polls have Leave ahead. I still think Remain will win fairly comfortably.

I agree , but the trouble is, the northern vote is of little significance in the scheme of things due to our population.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

armaghniac

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 14, 2016, 03:04:19 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 14, 2016, 02:36:54 PM

I agree , but the trouble is, the northern vote is of little significance in the scheme of things due to our population.

However, many of the polls haven't included NI nor overseas citizens with a postal vote and a lot of these have registered. These together amount to 5% of the electorate and are likely to be in the 65-70%  region for Remain. So GB could be 51% for Leave and the offshore element would make it 49.9%! That would be fine with me.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: yellowcard on June 14, 2016, 10:20:16 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 14, 2016, 09:57:16 AM

Can someone explain to me why a northern nationalist would vote to remain?

I wouldn't profess to having researched this in any great detail but there are a few reasons I'd be voting to stay:

1) Look at the type of character that wants to leave. Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Rupert Murdoch, Donald Trump, Jim Allister, DUP cronies. This on its own is enough me to convince to stay.
2) Economically Westminster will have even less regard for the 6 counties than they already have if they have increased powers.
3) Potential for increased border controls

Constitutionally I'm not sure what the impact would be but I don't think anyone can predict this with any great certainty.

This line speaks volumes.

MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on June 14, 2016, 03:37:50 PM

I wouldn't profess to having researched this in any great detail but there are a few reasons I'd be voting to stay:

1) Look at the type of character that wants to leave. Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Rupert Murdoch, Donald Trump, Jim Allister, DUP cronies. This on its own is enough me to convince to stay.
2) Economically Westminster will have even less regard for the 6 counties than they already have if they have increased powers.

Constitutionally I'm not sure what the impact would be but I don't think anyone can predict this with any great certainty.

Voting on the basis of the character of a cause's supporters as opposed to the actual cause itself?

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 14, 2016, 04:14:39 PM

Voting on the basis of the character of a cause's supporters as opposed to the actual cause itself?

There are worse ideas.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on June 14, 2016, 04:18:45 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 14, 2016, 04:14:39 PM

There are worse ideas.
Indeed. When you see the line - up above you don't need to read a manifesto.

Applesisapples

I frankly don't know what a Brexit will mean for me personally or for NI. I am not convinced by the benefits that the Leave campaign espouse. I suppose in the round I don't want to take the risk. I don't want to see border controls at Newry and Strabane. The most cogent argument I heard was from an economist who stated that the trade deal the British would get as a single economy with China, India etc... would not be as good as the EU. The Norwegian situation where they have to pay into the EU and adopt regulations to be able to trade whilst not having the say that Britain has as a major power has never been addressed by leave campaigners. I don't believe either that the UK treasury will merrily hand over the cash to farmers that the EU does.

T Fearon

Momentum with Brexit side.No one in England uses their brains when it comes to this election.Labour voters not enthused by agreeing with Cameron and Labour Party itself scared after damage done to it by supporting stay camp in Scottish referendum.Those who wish to vote out highly motivated unlike those who wish to stay.

dec

It would be amusing if England voted out but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland gave Remain the majority. Maybe they could kick England out of the UK.

T Fearon

Even DUP MPs have admitted to me privately that NI isn't on the radar at Westminster.I think the Brexit campaign will get the vote out and even French Police beating the crap out of their hooligans strengthens the case for the brain dead to vote out