Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

sid waddell

That debate was an absolutely frightening vista into the true insanity of the No camp.

Their shrieking, hectoring and bullying of Peter Boylan was horrifying, the disdain for knowledge terrifying. They hate him because they can't rebut his arguments and they can't rebut his facts.

Boylan was asked towards the end if a 12 week old foetus was fully grown.

Firstly, what an utter indictment of RTE and the No side that questions like this are being asked. Boylan, perhaps surprised to be asked such a stupid question, responded with the obvious and correct answer. No, a 12 week old foetus is not fully grown. 

His answer was met with furious booing from the No supporters in the audience. Even basic biological facts are booed by the No camp. I almost had to pinch myself that what I was watching and hearing wasn't satire.

As I did when I heard Mattie McGrath's cringeworthy contribution - a man whose level is fixing potholes, and whose shameless pig ignorance is sure to have won over some undecideds for Yes tonight.

Aodhan O'Riordain asked Ronan Mullen what he would do about a 12 year old rape victim who was made pregnant. Mullen had no answer, preferring to go into waffle mode. None of the No camp have an answer to this question.

Maria Steen has the techniques of US robo-conservative. Like all the representatives of the IONA "Instutute", her entire schtick is based around talking over others, interrupting and lying. 

The debate format was an embarrassment to the national broadcaster - it was like watching the Jerry Springer Show. Arguably the most important referendum in the country's history, and it was allowed to be hijacked by yahoos who think debating amounts to who can shout loudest.

Claire Byrne Live is a dreadful programme in general. Tabloid trash every week, but never more than this week. A profoundly fooking depressing spectacle.

It must be a very worrying time to be a woman in Ireland. The lack of empathy from the No side is truly terrifying.

The_geezer

He was asked if the foetus was 'fully formed' not if it was fully grown! Boylan was exposed last night for what he truly is.

thebigfella

Quote from: The_geezer on May 15, 2018, 10:25:21 AM
He was asked if the foetus was 'fully formed' not if it was fully grown! Boylan was exposed last night for what he truly is.

And what is that?

Jim_Murphy_74

What is that? 

All in all I thought it was an appalling program.  RTE would have been better advised to have the two panels.  I was embarrassing for the audience whooping and shouting as if they are at a football match. 

/Jim.

Itchy

I despair over both sides of this debate. As of yet I am undecided. I thought neither side were very impressive yesterday. An example of the Yes side being poor in debate is Sid who just mis-represented the question asked  (fully formed vrs fully grown) and then pitied the poor doctor who couldnt believe he was asked such a stupid question. He forgot to mention a 2nd doctor on the panel took a different view to the other one. I am not a doctor so I rely on doctors for medical facts and when they cannot agree where does that leave  the ordinary punter?

The roaring and shouting from the No side was pathetic as was the seething "they are all lying" man. I felt sorry for Claire Byrne, who I think is quote good, as she struggled to contain things. I though Mary Lou was the best on the night. Still a lot to ponder.

gallsman

Genuine question, wtf do people think is the difference between "fully grown" "fully formed"? Personally, don't see it as a misrepresentation of anything.

Why is "fully formed" of such import to some people? What does it mean? That it has the general shape and outline of a baby? What about its internal organs etc, do they not matter?

Itchy

Quote from: gallsman on May 15, 2018, 11:29:52 AM
Genuine question, wtf do people think is the difference between "fully grown" "fully formed"? Personally, don't see it as a misrepresentation of anything.

Why is "fully formed" of such import to some people? What does it mean? That it has the general shape and outline of a baby? What about its internal organs etc, do they not matter?

Well a 1 year old baby is fully formed, it has developed working organs etc. However, a 1 year old baby is obviously not fully grown. Whether it makes any difference is going to depend on your opinion. But there is a clear difference in the two terms as far as I am concerned.

gallsman

It's a fully grown one year old baby though, no?

Again (and not specifically asking or targeting you, Itchy), what does "fully formed" mean??

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on May 15, 2018, 11:23:35 AM

I despair over both sides of this debate. As of yet I am undecided. I thought neither side were very impressive yesterday. An example of the Yes side being poor in debate is Sid who just mis-represented the question asked  (fully formed vrs fully grown) and then pitied the poor doctor who couldnt believe he was asked such a stupid question. He forgot to mention a 2nd doctor on the panel took a different view to the other one. I am not a doctor so I rely on doctors for medical facts and when they cannot agree where does that leave  the ordinary punter?

The roaring and shouting from the No side was pathetic as was the seething "they are all lying" man. I felt sorry for Claire Byrne, who I think is quote good, as she struggled to contain things. I though Mary Lou was the best on the night. Still a lot to ponder.

Im friends with some hardcore Republicans (of the Irish variety) on Facebook who are all very vocal NO supporters. Almost looks like they are trying to give the Shinners a black eye by defeating this. I would be curious to know if other on here have experienced the same thing.

Syferus

Quote from: whitey on May 15, 2018, 12:53:20 PM

Im friends with some hardcore Republicans (of the Irish variety) on Facebook who are all very vocal NO supporters. Almost looks like they are trying to give the Shinners a black eye by defeating this. I would be curious to know if other on here have experienced the same thing.

Christ, you're trying hard.

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on May 15, 2018, 01:45:44 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 15, 2018, 12:53:20 PM

Christ, you're trying hard.

YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWNNNNN

sid waddell

Quote from: thebigfella on May 15, 2018, 10:31:42 AM

And what is that?
An actual expert.

The No side's obstetrician in last night's RTE debate was John Monaghan.

Monaghan works at Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe.

The below was in the news in the last couple of weeks. It would not inspire confidence in Dr. Monaghan.

QuoteMultiple failures identified in report into baby deaths at Galway hospital
Problems with staffing, training and communications contributed to problems, Portiuncula report states

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/multiple-failures-identified-in-report-into-baby-deaths-at-galway-hospital-1.3482993

And neither would this.

QuoteA six-year-old Co Roscommon boy who has had cerebral palsy since birth has been awarded a €4m settlement by the High Court.

Through his mother, Mary, Seamus Dwyer brought a case for damages against Portiuncula hospital in Ballinasloe in Co Galway.

The consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist in charge of Seamus's delivery, Dr John Monaghan, had admitted liability.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0324/74461-dwyers/

And neither would this.

https://www.imt.ie/opinion/doctor-showed-himself-up-with-lack-of-knowledge-28-04-2011/

I think it may well be Dr. Monaghan who needs to "go back to school".

sid waddell

Peter Boylan was dead right. It's a preposterous notion to say a foetus is fully formed at 12 weeks. Have you ever heard of a viable 12 week old foetus?

In any country in Europe, in any country in the world, you can find obstetricians who are against access to safe, legal abortion.

But they are not guided in this by best medical practice. They are guided by their own personal version of morality, which is usually heavily influenced by religion.

For an obstetrician to go further and call for the retention of the 8th Amendment is not just saying that they are against abortion - it is saying that a particular, narrow version of morality should be imposed on everybody else.

Anybody guided by such is not putting the patient first.

The vst majority of obstetricians, gynaecologists, midwives, nurses and GPs favour the abolition of the 8th Amendment. It says a lot that those at the coalface are the ones who favour abolition of the 8th Amendment in the heaviest numbers of any field in society.

That's because they have the most knowledge of what the 8th Amendment does.

sid waddell

Nobody on the No side can answer the question of whether they believe a 12 year girl made pregnant by rape should be forced to carry a pregnancy to full term.

It's the question they're desperate to avoid.

But one of them once let their guard down about their real views.

It was John McGuirk, spokesman for "Save The 8th".

And his real views are chilling.

scoopmine

The debate last night was comical, booing and cheering of points, speaking over each other and personal insults. Impossible to have a real debate in the circumstances. Seen more order on Jeremy Kyle..