McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2023, 10:39:09 PM
Dooher and Logan should have retired at the end of last season. They've already scaled the peak and don't have the time and energy required to take on the challenge again. They got lucky with the Covid All Ireland and fair play to them but I don't see them arresting the decline. Some might argue it's only the McKenna Cup but Tyrone were second best everywhere tonight.

Derry look like the team to beat in Ulster and if Glen win tomorrow it will only give them an added layer of self belief.

Not this shite again. Said in another thread the only people who say this just simply don't like Tyrone.

An Watcher

Westmeath, Laois, Meath, Cavan and Mayo.  Now there's an easy all ireland if ever I saw one.  Fairly recent too

CK_Redhand

Quote from: square_ball on January 21, 2023, 10:49:38 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 21, 2023, 10:39:09 PM
Dooher and Logan should have retired at the end of last season. They've already scaled the peak and don't have the time and energy required to take on the challenge again. They got lucky with the Covid All Ireland and fair play to them but I don't see them arresting the decline. Some might argue it's only the McKenna Cup but Tyrone were second best everywhere tonight.

Derry look like the team to beat in Ulster and if Glen win tomorrow it will only give them an added layer of self belief.

Not this shite again. Said in another thread the only people who say this just simply don't like Tyrone.
Dubs won the original covid all ireland 2020.
Tyrone 2021 was covidball 2.
Of course then Kerry vanquished covid once and for all.
/s

An Watcher

I'd take a covid all ireland every year

Captain Obvious

What around 7 of Tyrones 2021 All-Ireland final starting team started today? Don't think I'd be laying any judgement on Tyrones 2023 campaign yet apart from their strength in depth is probably not the best.

Walter Cronc

It was obvious against us that Petey, as you lot affectionately call him is miles off top club football never mind county!

square_ball

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 21, 2023, 11:29:38 PM
It was obvious against us that Petey, as you lot affectionately call him is miles off top club football never mind county!

Are you on the beer already??

Wildweasel74

Too many off Tyrone old hands have slowed down, McKeigue / Heron(slowed down too) the only older guys on the current county team. Need rebuild with 5/6 of their U-20 team in. Midfield was poor given their larger size advantage there.

Armagh18

I'm more worried about Tyrone than Derry as Ulster challengers this year, still a serious team if they can get the finger out. Remember in 2021 it wasnt that long between Kerry tanking them in the league and that seminfinal game.

screenexile

It's fine to win the McKenna cup but we need to get promoted by whatever means necessary!!!!

If we don't that will be a huge knock back in terms of the teams overall development... we need to be playing and challenging against the top teams and while we were unfortunate last year the level we have been at since the end of the league last year leaves no room for excuses!

Itchy

To those basing their assessment of the season to come on the McKenna cup, last year's winners were Monaghan who just about stayed in Div1 afterwards, won one game in ulster and we're knocked our in the 1st round of the qualifiers.

Ghost

Only McKenna cup but Derry are definitely in a good place going into the league. Having Paudie Cassidy back fit is like a new player coming into the squad and a few of the younger lads like Paul Cassidy and Lachlan Murray have definitely bulked up. Noticeable the last few games how much more involved these lads have become whereas last year the likes of Paul would have drifted in and out of games.

Important to get over the Limerick came presumably without the Glen lads. 2 points in Owenbeg will set us up nicely for the rest of the league. Hopefully Emmet Bradley commits as he's been in fine form for Glen throughout their campaign.

tbrick18

Quote from: Itchy on January 22, 2023, 07:42:39 AM
To those basing their assessment of the season to come on the McKenna cup, last year's winners were Monaghan who just about stayed in Div1 afterwards, won one game in ulster and we're knocked our in the 1st round of the qualifiers.

I don't think anyone is getting carried away with winning the mckenna cup as such.
For me the exciting thing was how the young players were integrated and the fact they they were to fore in most games. We also have tried changing our shape and are kicking the ball more. All of this should mean we are not as reliant on small core of players and also that we can adjust to account for injuries or opponent.
That's all positive.

Of course none of that guarantees promotion or an extended championship, but it looks like we are well prepared for the challenge. We still need to work on how we cope with that press on our kickout and on how to win high ball in the middle third but I don't think we're the only team in that position.

One final note on Tyrone, they played an ultra defensive style too with 14 men behind the ball a lot of the time. Their keeper playing out the field a fair bit too, but they still struggled when derry attacked at pace. That could still be a fitness issue at this time of year or it could be that the defensive strategy doesn't suit those players. Maybe they need to play more on the front foot.

I did laugh at one point though when tyrone supporters behind us were talking about how hard derry were to watch with the defensive style when Tyrone were playing the exact same way. Lol

An Watcher

I remember when Tyrone were playing like that a few years back.  It's turgid stuff and Tyrone were sweeping all before them in ulster but doing nothing in croke Park.  Had to change and struggled a bit more in ulster but were able to win an all ireland on the back of it.  Interesting to see if derrys style works against the big teams in croke Park.

tbrick18

I don't think we'll be thinking as far ahead as croke Park.
We'll be aiming for promotion to div 1 and first round of the championship.