Mickey Moran & John Morrison New Leitrim Management

Started by 45GoneShort, August 25, 2008, 10:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

45GoneShort

Leitrim GAA are delighted to announce that Mickey Moran and John Morrison will take over the vacant senior football management positions after ratification at tonights special county board meeting.
Mickey Moran started coaching as player manager for 2 years at Derry´s helm and when he hung up the boots he completed a further 2 years for the county.
Before his playing days ended he had played for his home club Glen, Derry, Ulster and the Rest of Ireland and was an All-Star replacement.

He was the Derry coach in 1993 as he assisted the late Eamon Coleman during Derry´s capture of the All-Ireland title.

Towards the end of the nineties he was involved with the Irish International Rules team with Colm O´Rourke, John O´Keefe, John Tobin for two years.

Having coached in Sligo and Donegal, in between stints with his native county Derry, he then took the top role in Mayo in 2006 taking them to a National League semi-final appearance, a Connacht final win and to an All-Ireland final appearance against Kerry with a superb win against Dublin along the way. Leitrim fans who were in Croke Park for the Tommy Murphy cup final against Louth may remember the fantastic Dublin v Mayo encounter that followed.

Mickey Moran is partnered by John Morrison who is only one of a small number of 'GAA master coaches´ in Ireland. He is no stranger to coaches in Leitrim as he has undertaken several coaching seminars in the county in recent years as part of our games development plan. Earlier this year he was one of the high profile tutors included in the 2008 Coachworks series held in Armagh, this programme which "transforms theory into practice" offered useful tips on how best to deliver coaching messages and skills.

He is known for his ability to analyse player athleticism and performance and to provide a variety of solutions to enhance both.

The colourful Armagh native has coached with no fewer than five county teams and whose expertise has also been sought by Ulster Rugby and Leicester Tigers has partnered Mickey Moran in each of Moran´s last three managerial appointments in Mayo, Derry and Donegal.

In conjunction with the development of playing and training facilities Leitrim GAA look on this appointment as another phase of development of Gaelic football in the county. Not only will Mickey and John be the senior team managers they will also be involved in the preparation of coaching programme´s for county underage teams & development squads. They are willing to assist in the preparation for our county U16´s, Minor, U21´s and Junior teams.

At grass roots level they are very willing to work with club coaches throughout the county and will be available to help in preparing program´s for club teams. Their commitment to Leitrim GAA will further enhance the comprehensive Coaching and Development plans already in operation and this is a much valued addition to their duties as Senior team management.

Source: leitrimgaa.ie

Onlooker

You would want to change the name of this thread.  I don't think that Mickey Whelan is going to Leitrim.

Real1995

they'll be munching the monkey nuts down in Leitrim den soon  ;D
Nice guys always finish second!

45GoneShort

Quote from: Onlooker on August 25, 2008, 10:12:46 PM
You would want to change the name of this thread.  I don't think that Mickey Whelan is going to Leitrim.

It been ratified tonight at Co. Board meeting.  See for yourself @ www.leitrimgaa.ie

Puckoon

Quote from: 45GoneShort on August 25, 2008, 10:17:58 PM

It been ratified tonight at Co. Board meeting.  See for yourself @ www.leitrimgaa.ie

I dont care if the memo came from St Peter himself - its not Mickey Whelan!

45GoneShort

Quote from: Puckoon on August 25, 2008, 10:19:12 PM
Quote from: 45GoneShort on August 25, 2008, 10:17:58 PM

I dont care if the memo came from St Peter himself - its not Mickey Whelan!

My Bad

orangeman

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 25, 2008, 11:46:44 PM
Skip operators in Leitrim are already preparing their bids for business with the new management team while Thornton's shops in the county are already putting in their orders for additional supplies of Brazil nuts.

Go on start emptying all that negative stuff !

Bod Mor

Best of luck to them. I hope they have years of success with Leitrim. It was unfair what happened them when they were last in Connacht and hopefully they can do the business again.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

orangeman

Quote from: Bod Mor on August 25, 2008, 11:52:39 PM
Best of luck to them. I hope they have years of success with Leitrim. It was unfair what happened them when they were last in Connacht and hopefully they can do the business again.

You'd love to see Leitrim and Mayo at it next year !

Kerry Mike

At least Morrison wont have to be looking over his shoulder for Pillar's next attack !!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

moysider

Best of luck to Leitrim and their new management team. To be honest I m jealous and was hoping they would get another shot with my county.

Leitrim have a top class coaching team now. They gave us one of our best summers ever but a couple of local stirrers took their cue from national media  and a craven Board executive squirmed on the hook and took the easy way out. Now the 2 lads - particularly Morrison with his post- match utterances - did themselves no favours in the immediate aftermath of Kerry 2006. But they re coaches, not politicians and they did nt know how to play that bullshit game down here.

Our loss is Leitrim s gain and again I wish a pair of gentlemen and top coaches the best.

Armamike

I thought they had divorced after the Mayo experience?
That's just, like your opinion man.

J70

Looking back, they did a decent job in Donegal too and had us playing some nice football before the lads decided that the Dubs were going to be easy pickings in the replay and went on the lash!

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2008, 11:55:33 PM
Quote from: Bod Mor on August 25, 2008, 11:52:39 PM

You'd love to see Leitrim and Mayo at it next year !

Dont think there would be any more edge than there usually is - and usually there is nt because we dont play too often. Not like there was an issue between Moran and the Mayo players. They had great time for him and played well for him - and spare me the final v Kerry. Not many would have done better. If M&M had been left in charge they would have brought a more tactical approach to our game but they did ok on first attempt 06. Since their departure we ve regressed at a depressing rate. Management have even shafted our best player in 35 years - maybe more but I cant remember before that.

The Mayo players would have great respect for Mickey and John. They would shake their hands to a man. Many of the Mayo lads played their best ever football for those two. And even though I ll get killed by by own for saying this the Mayo players have far more regard for M&M than others I could name.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on August 26, 2008, 12:40:28 AM
And even though I ll get killed by by own for saying this the Mayo players have far more regard for M&M than others I could name.

Whilst I've no doubt that would be true of some of the Mayo players, there were some senior players who had little or no respect for these lads.

The players decision to not inform of them of their plans before heading off down to Hill 16 before the semi final in 06 tells quite a tale.