The Diva

Started by Zapatista, May 20, 2008, 09:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

He did indeed Seanie. His move to Wicklow didn't go through. Micko was quoted as saying 'negotiations were ongoing' earlier this year, but Doona obviously felt the big apple was more appealing than the garden county.

Hardy

Maximus - the difference is that Shea Fahy and Larry Tompkins legally transferred to Cork. They lived and worked there and actually knew their addresses. It's not unreasonable to transfer to the county where you live and work. When professionalism comes, they'll be transferring to the county TO work at football. I didn't say Walsh's move spelt the advent of professionalism. My point was that it's a foretaste of what it'll be like to go out and watch your "Derry" team composed of mercenaries. That's if Derry will have a team at all in the professional era, which is most unlikely, I'd say.

orangeman

Quote from: Bensars on May 20, 2008, 01:56:56 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 20, 2008, 01:25:01 PM
the ignorance of the football man that Micko is on this thread is just staggering.  :o  not a fecking clue...no doubt about it

Have to agree with max on this one.

I think it was 1974/5 when he became kerry manager and has been involved at the top level almost continually since. 30 + yrs of inter county management and there are peole doubting his credentials.

Irrespective of your personal opinions towards the man, there is no doubting that he has brought the best out of the teams he has managed.
[/b]

Couldn't agree more !

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on May 20, 2008, 03:02:17 PM
the ignorance of the football man that Micko is on this thread is just staggering.  :o  not a fecking clue...no doubt about it

I think it was 1974/5 when he became kerry manager and has been involved at the top level almost continually since. 30 + yrs of inter county management and there are peole doubting his credentials.

Irrespective of your personal opinions towards the man, there is no doubting that he has brought the best out of the teams he has managed.
[/b]

Couldn't agree more !

Number 1, who is doubting his credentials?

Number 2, I would agree, in general, but I still have a nagging feeling that 1 provincial title for an outstanding crop of players in Laois is poor return.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 20, 2008, 02:10:06 PM
QuoteBut on the other hand magpie seanie won't hear a word said against Roy Keane

I shouldn't go down this road but I'm going to. I end up defending Roy Keane because a lot of the criticism thrown at him is unwarranted and irrational. Of course people struggling with conducting intelligent discussion extrapolatethat to "magpie seanie won't hear a word said against Roy Keane" when it suits them.That's simply not the case but hey - never let the truth get in the way of a good attempt at charcter assasination. Roy Keane has many faults and the first person who would say that is Roy Keane. Did you ever hear Micko taking responsibility for a defeat, saying his tactics were wrong? Did you fcuk. So your comparison is flawed as is your wild assertion about what you think I believe.  

Try and discuss the issue and not play the man.

Your a funny aul hoor all the same even if a grumpy one  :D
And i think that bit in bold is also a character assassination but sure as we know from your past on this board its one rule for you and a different for everyone else..
Too be honest I've always seen you as a bit of a hypocrite and your shite about Micko proves it too me and thats what i found so funny about the whole thing

Now be on with ya and try and discuss the issue and not play the man ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2008, 02:41:24 PM
How many 'foreigners' has Micko used in his time in Kildare, Laois and now Wicklow? Is it above the national average? I know Lacey was from Tipp, and his son Karl was obviously from Kerry. At Laois, your man Sheehan is a kerry man, and obviously Tommy Walsh is Carlow, and Dan Doona is another Kerry exile, although that move has yet to happen.

Just to reiterate my stance. I have nothing but admiration for Micko and what he did for Kerry, Laois and Kildare. Wicklow's win on Sunday was promising also. His effect on football in all those counties is undeniable, although I think he joins a list of men who didn't get the very best out of Laois, even if he did do more than the rest.

My issues is with the 'cult' of Micko, rather than Micko the football man.

We also got Shane Cooke from Dublin,But the least said about him the better
You'll Never Walk Alone.

magpie seanie

QuoteNow be on with ya and try and discuss the issue and not play the man

I did. What I said was true and I explained why. What you said wasn't true. What's also completely untrue is the say that the bit you highlighted amounts to character assasination. It doesn't question your character in any way.

Please try to reply without calling me names this time.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2008, 03:03:48 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 20, 2008, 03:02:17 PM
the ignorance of the football man that Micko is on this thread is just staggering.  :o  not a fecking clue...no doubt about it

[/b]

Couldn't agree more !

Number 1, who is doubting his credentials?

Number 2, I would agree, in general, but I still have a nagging feeling that 1 provincial title for an outstanding crop of players in Laois is poor return.

Laois would take him back in the morning but I'm not sure if they could agree terms or not !

Gnevin

The way some people go on about Croker you'd think it was heaven, mecca or eternal paradise   ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

have to say i'm starting to agree with the lads. he tried to entice declan browne to kildare as well. also a well known fact they trawled dublin looking for qualified players, but were blanked.The fact that the national media turn a blind eye to this blatant tapping up of players is not only a disgrace but a reflection on thier own profession. and is a sign of things to come when it does go professional.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gnevin on May 20, 2008, 04:18:59 PM
The way some people go on about Croker you'd think it was heaven, mecca or eternal paradise   ::)

It's as close as you'll get on this earth. :D (Apart from Ferbane of course)

Bord na Mona man

I wouldn't be a fan of the unquestioning fawning over Micko.
But it suits the media to portray him as thus.
Why turn it hostile and question the cynicalness, timewasting or diving of his teams?
You kill the myth and make him no different from most other managers.

It is much easier to spool out yards about the "loveable rogue", "cute Kerry hoor", "wise old sage" than to write about him as your typical successful football manager who will send out his teams with the best winning strategy.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on May 20, 2008, 04:19:27 PM
have to say i'm starting to agree with the lads. he tried to entice declan browne to kildare as well. also a well known fact they trawled dublin looking for qualified players, but were blanked.The fact that the national media turn a blind eye to this blatant tapping up of players is not only a disgrace but a reflection on thier own profession. and is a sign of things to come when it does go professional.
[/b]

In case you didn't notice Indiana, it is now professional - we are getting paid to train / play etc, turn up for photo shoots, advertising etc - no more amateurs in Ireland !

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 20, 2008, 04:16:55 PM
QuoteNow be on with ya and try and discuss the issue and not play the man

I did. What I said was true and I explained why. What you said wasn't true. What's also completely untrue is the say that the bit you highlighted amounts to character assasination. It doesn't question your character in any way.

Please try to reply without calling me names this time

Sorry i shouldn't have called you a funny hoor....

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2008, 02:41:24 PM
How many 'foreigners' has Micko used in his time in Kildare, Laois and now Wicklow? Is it above the national average? I know Lacey was from Tipp, and his son Karl was obviously from Kerry. At Laois, your man Sheehan is a kerry man, and obviously Tommy Walsh is Carlow, and Dan Doona is another Kerry exile, although that move has yet to happen.
Brian Murphy of Cork and Garvan Ware of Carlow also togged out for Kildare during the Micko era.
Granted some of them might be for valid reasons given that Kildare is part of the Dublin burbs and has seen a lot of inward migration.