Tir Eoghain -v- Maigh Eo - Sunday 13th April

Started by ziggysego, April 06, 2008, 01:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodo

Thought Nallen togged for one of these trial matches. I think it would be a mistake for him to go back, at best a bench warmer at this stage. A massive contribution made to Mayo football. His legs are well gone for county football at this stage.
McDonald has plenty to contribute still IMO. Pity he hasn't been around for league again as difficult to know how best to utilise him at this stage.
Ger Brady will make a good Garda !

mannix

Dodo, I must agree. Macdonald is still a county man and should be utilised at some stage.Its not like we are dripping with scoring forwards like he would be if kept well forward or a playmaker to keep the other counties guessing if he was on the bench.
Nallen is probably gone for good, shame but time catches everyone out someday.
I think we will regret having let him go because we will go out in a close game this year.

Maradona

Lets face it lads, Nallens time has passed, he struggled badly 2 years ago, never mind now. Could have a place in the dressing room though as there was no better servant. Its a young mans game and we need to be making sure the young lads are brought through correctly and not be pining for the older lads (some whos career memories seem to get enhanced as time goes by!!!). McDonald can possibly play some role, but it would have to be a specific one and close to goal. Pity he hasnt been involved up to now, as always we are left guessing.

Watching Arsenal v Liverpool last night and the analysis afterwards on Net2 reminded me a bit of Mayo (al la Arsenal) in that when we play the like of kerry and even Galway, it often appears that we are lads playing 'men'. Thats what Souness was saying the difference was

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Maradona on April 09, 2008, 03:48:37 PM
Lets face it lads, Nallens time has passed, he struggled badly 2 years ago, never mind now. Could have a place in the dressing room though as there was no better servant. Its a young mans game and we need to be making sure the young lads are brought through correctly and not be pining for the older lads (some whos career memories seem to get enhanced as time goes by!!!). McDonald can possibly play some role, but it would have to be a specific one and close to goal. Pity he hasnt been involved up to now, as always we are left guessing.
Watching Arsenal v Liverpool last night and the analysis afterwards on Net2 reminded me a bit of Mayo (al la Arsenal) in that when we play the like of kerry and even Galway, it often appears that we are lads playing 'men'. Thats what Souness was saying the difference was

I assume your saying Mc Donald has left you guessing well big deal, these lads as we know aren't professionals  aren't getting paid so they owe nobody an explanation as to whether they are playing or not for mayo.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

feetofflames

Mayo need one thing - the most ignorant hoor north of Galway, South of Sligo, West of America and East of Roscommon to train them.  We all know Mayo have shown that they can have a decenty team and not win an ai.  They would do better to have an average team who would do anything to win an Aireland, and I mean pure dirt. They need a Loughnane style caharacter instead of a gentleman managing them.  turn them into svages, because on football alone Galway is home and hosed in Connaght - who is gonna stop them and how.  Nallen was too nice, too many too nice.  
Chief Wiggum

orangeman

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 09, 2008, 03:59:56 PM

I assume your saying Mc Donald has left you guessing well big deal, these lads as we know aren't professionals  aren't getting paid so they owe nobody an explanation as to whether they are playing or not for mayo.

Stop the bus ! They'll be getting paid shortly !

orangeman

Quote from: feetofflames on April 09, 2008, 04:02:38 PM
Mayo need one thing - the most ignorant hoor north of Galway, South of Sligo, West of America and East of Roscommon to train them.  We all know Mayo have shown that they can have a decenty team and not win an ai.  They would do better to have an average team who would do anything to win an Aireland, and I mean pure dirt. They need a Loughnane style caharacter instead of a gentleman managing them.  turn them into svages, because on football alone Galway is home and hosed in Connaght - who is gonna stop them and how.  Nallen was too nice, too many too nice.  

Jesus Feet, you're on a real roll the day !  ;) ;D ;D ;D I tend to agree with you all the same - but then again, Mayo have had some good managers and unfortunately came up with a superb Kerry team who blew them away on 3 different occasions !

the Deel Rover

Quote from: feetofflames on April 09, 2008, 04:02:38 PM

give us names fof
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

ildanach

Quote from: mannix on April 09, 2008, 02:21:04 PM
Dodo, I must agree. Macdonald is still a county man and should be utilised at some stage.Its not like we are dripping with scoring forwards like he would be if kept well forward or a playmaker to keep the other counties guessing if he was on the bench.
I think we will regret having let him go because we will go out in a close game this year.
McD definately has something to offer. but only in the full forward line. He had little or no football last year and so is fresh. If he stays injury free he will give us a great option in there.
James Nallen has been a great servent to mayo, unfotunately time has caught up on him and and the legs can not carry him at intercounty level for 70mins. He should leave it now before many years of good work are forgotten by a fickle crowd who would only remember people by there last game.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ildanach on April 09, 2008, 04:13:10 PM
Quote from: mannix on April 09, 2008, 02:21:04 PM
McD definately has something to offer. but only in the full forward line. He had little or no football last year and so is fresh. If he stays injury free he will give us a great option in there.
James Nallen has been a great servent to mayo, unfotunately time has caught up on him and and the legs can not carry him at intercounty level for 70mins. He should leave it now before many years of good work are forgotten by a fickle crowd who would only remember people by there last game.

your right there Ildanach jimmy should walk away as i hope does Mc D, as you said otherwise their years of good work could be forgotten and in fairness there is no more fickle supporter than the mayo supporter
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

ildanach

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 09, 2008, 04:17:09 PM
your right there Ildanach jimmy should walk away as i hope does Mc D, as you said otherwise their years of good work could be forgotten and in fairness there is no more fickle supporter than the mayo supporter

thats for sure. However McD still has something to offer. A back needs speed more so than a forward and McD never needed pace. His passing and presence will stand us well for one more season. If he was in at full forward - or even introduced he will cause problems
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ildanach on April 09, 2008, 04:37:02 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 09, 2008, 04:17:09 PM

thats for sure. However McD still has something to offer. A back needs speed more so than a forward and McD never needed pace. His passing and presence will stand us well for one more season. If he was in at full forward - or even introduced he will cause problems

trouble is Mc d was never and never will be a full forward i know that when he started his mayo career he was a corner forward but all through his career with cross he played centre half forward and having watched the man play for over 25 years thats the only place to play him he needs to be getting his hand on the ball getting a feel for the game and he can't do that in the full forward line. i don't think o'mahony wants to or would play him there and maybe he doesn't have the legs for there anymore so for that reason i'd like to see him bow out as i wouldn't like to see him end his playing career been frustrated in the full forward line.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

moysider

Have to agree with Deel Rover obout McDanger. I first saw him play as young lad [early teens] and he always seemed happier at chf than in the corner. Down the years you would hear people saw he should be played in close to goals and he was slowing things up out the field. Whatever about the merits of those arguments the man himself obviously did not like or feel comfortable in that role. Whether or not he could have made a decent fist of it in time we ll never know. Myself I would embrace the return of both himself and Nallen with no strings attached. I too was amazed that management mentioned trial games. An insult really - a bit like that time Mick McCarty asked Denis Irwin to prove himself. Silly stuff. Should have been left to the lads themselves to decide whether they had anything to offer or not. Its not like they re time wasters. Nallen would still be good to have around to steady things in a tight game. 34 is not too old for someone that was way faster and more athletic than the average footballler to begin with. Add in the fact that he has never been overweight and training would have been easy for him, he s been lucky with injuries and he would nt be a drinker. Ok so Declan O Sullivan ran by him 2 years ago but he has run by many younger men since too. Not having a go at Howley - who is undoubtably the future and present - but would PJ have got his hands on any more ball the last day if Nallen was marking him?

ildanach

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 09, 2008, 04:44:35 PM
trouble is Mc d was never and never will be a full forward i know that when he started his mayo career he was a corner forward but all through his career with cross he played centre half forward and having watched the man play for over 25 years thats the only place to play him he needs to be getting his hand on the ball getting a feel for the game and he can't do that in the full forward line. i don't think o'mahony wants to or would play him there and maybe he doesn't have the legs for there anymore so for that reason i'd like to see him bow out as i wouldn't like to see him end his playing career been frustrated in the full forward line.

the role i would like to see mcd play is not as an orthadox full forward- more so as someone who will drift between the full forward line & the 50. He can then use his  array of passes to play the ball into the space inside.  or indeed drive on with the ball and take his own score.

dodo

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 09, 2008, 03:59:56 PM

I assume your saying Mc Donald has left you guessing well big deal, these lads as we know aren't professionals  aren't getting paid so they owe nobody an explanation as to whether they are playing or not for mayo.

We all know that they are not professionals, but they do owe it to us to let us know whether they are going to play or not. Ever hear the saying that nobody is greater than the team ? I really don't get this horseshit that some come out with protecting their demi Gods. Of course McDonald has played his heart out for Mayo but we need to be as prepared as possible and not have lads ambling back at the end of the league.