Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: ardtole on February 13, 2022, 10:07:04 AM
Quote from: lenny on February 12, 2022, 10:46:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2022, 10:13:52 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 12, 2022, 10:10:45 PM
Name one as poor.

Was it 9-2 at one point ?

Kilmacud were definitely the better team today. The turning point was when they butchered a goal chance to go 9 ahead in the second half. Kilcoo showed great resilience though but the first goal was pure luck.You kind of had a feeling their name was on the cup at that stage. Kilcoo are a very good side but I have to confess that I really felt for the Kilmacud lads as they'd played so well and overall IMO were a much better team.

I think its very unfair to say Kilmacud butchered a goal chance to go 9 ahead. Instead,  I thought it was remarkable piece of defending from Rooney, 100% committed and possibly the biggest turning point of the game, bar the last minute goal obviously.

I agree it was brilliant defending. It's easy in hindsight but that last pass probably wasn't needed as it was a bit 50/50. Kilmacud were so much on top at that stage and if the goal had gone in I don't think kilcoo could've come back. You're right to say it was a turning point as it gave kilcoo a great lift.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: lenny on February 13, 2022, 11:14:48 AM
Quote from: ardtole on February 13, 2022, 10:07:04 AM
Quote from: lenny on February 12, 2022, 10:46:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2022, 10:13:52 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 12, 2022, 10:10:45 PM
Name one as poor.

Was it 9-2 at one point ?

Kilmacud were definitely the better team today. The turning point was when they butchered a goal chance to go 9 ahead in the second half. Kilcoo showed great resilience though but the first goal was pure luck.You kind of had a feeling their name was on the cup at that stage. Kilcoo are a very good side but I have to confess that I really felt for the Kilmacud lads as they'd played so well and overall IMO were a much better team.

I think its very unfair to say Kilmacud butchered a goal chance to go 9 ahead. Instead,  I thought it was remarkable piece of defending from Rooney, 100% committed and possibly the biggest turning point of the game, bar the last minute goal obviously.

I agree it was brilliant defending. It's easy in hindsight but that last pass probably wasn't needed as it was a bit 50/50. Kilmacud were so much on top at that stage and if the goal had gone in I don't think kilcoo could've come back. You're right to say it was a turning point as it gave kilcoo a great lift.

Probably should have used the 'pass' as a decoy and left himself with an open goal. Faked the pass and the keeper and defender would have followed for a split second then buried into an open net. Hindsight is 20/20. I'd say if Kilmacud had gone 9 up at that stage it would have been game over but they didn't and it wasn't

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2022, 07:38:41 PM
So many games on today!! Looking forward to both these games, fancy Ballygunner, they seem to be on a mission and for me Ballyhale have used up so many of their lives during this year's campaign, but they have it in their locker to click.

Kilcoo should, should win today, though I didn't fancy Kilmacud to get to the final they have a punchers chance, maybe another draw and win in extra time for Kilcoo but I feel it's their year

I'm not going to say I told you so!!
Jesus that's some shout fair play lol. You put any money on it though lol?

Saffrongael

Quote from: HiMucker on February 13, 2022, 11:46:08 AM
So many games on today!! Looking forward to both these games, fancy Ballygunner, they seem to be on a mission and for me Ballyhale have used up so many of their lives during this year's campaign, but they have it in their locker to click.

Kilcoo should, should win today, though I didn't fancy Kilmacud to get to the final they have a punchers chance, maybe another draw and win in extra time for Kilcoo but I feel it's their year

The time of the post 😬
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Armamike

Congratulations to Kilcoo.  They've put in a serious effort over the years and they've got their reward.   Especially pleased for Mickey Moran.  He's been the bridesmaid in a few finals.  The handpass game plays to their strengths - they're not packed with big men up front.   I haven't seen much of them this year, but personally I find the constant recycling of the ball and determination not to kick it hard to watch.There was a passage of play yesterday where they were  2 down I think in extra time, chasing the game and they played the ball along their backline, side to side and back, going nowhere, for about 2 minutes.  They'll argue that it's better to keep the ball, but surely a bit more positivity to play the forward pass was needed.  They got the goal in the end, so it's neither here nor there I suppose, but on another day it would have been a very frustrating way to go out.
That's just, like your opinion man.

HiMucker

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 13, 2022, 11:50:04 AM

The time of the post 😬
I'm taking him at his word that he did post this before the game! Maybe he should put up the proper evidence.  :)

Nanderson

Quote from: HiMucker on February 13, 2022, 12:00:30 PM

The time of the post 😬
I'm taking him at his word that he did post this before the game! Maybe he should put up the proper evidence.  :)
he did at 8.55am

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Nanderson on February 13, 2022, 12:14:52 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on February 13, 2022, 12:00:30 PM

The time of the post 😬
he did at 8.55am

I'm not Tony Ferron ! He was deadly for predictions after the game! Backed the draw on its own, backed the win double but Bet365 pay put on a result  'push' whatever that means. 13/2 the draw paid £60 for £8

Sure who'd have predicted that amount of draws last weekend? Crazy results
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Well done Kilcoo, well deserved although that's as poor as I've ever seen them play, the midfielder Ward missed 2 handy enough shots and Laverty missed plenty as well, plus the goal chance.

You'd be sick if you were a Kilmacud man, but absolutely criminal defending being 2 up like that and conceding a soft goal, foul the man out the pitch and the games over.

Kilcoo are far from the poorest team to ever win it, took Corofin who many rate as one of the best ever to extra time 2 years ago and have only gotten better. They'll be there or thereabouts next year as well.

Baile an tuaigh

Kieran Donaghy in a recent podcast said that there was a swirling wind at the canal end of Croke Park.it was harder to judge your shot,  as opposed to the hill 16 end.

Eugene Branigan said that Croke Park is not just another field and that it felt very different. That might explain a little why both teams only scored two points into the canal end yesterday. Kilcoo missed alot of scorable chances in the first 15 minutes or so. The scoreboard didn't reflect the run of play at that point.

Croke Park factor really is a thing. Kilmacud had loads of experience playing there, so it makes Kilcoos victory a lot more admirable.

toby47

All the stick Cavanagh got a few years back for 'that' tackle on McManus, he ended up on the winning side that day because of it. I can't for the life of me understand why Shealin Johnstone wasn't fouled in that last play on Saturday. If ever there was a stage to 'win at all costs'

In saying that, the run and kick pass from Johnstone was brilliant to create the goal. Just can't believe he was allowed to.

Armagh18

Quote from: toby47 on February 14, 2022, 08:55:34 AM
All the stick Cavanagh got a few years back for 'that' tackle on McManus, he ended up on the winning side that day because of it. I can't for the life of me understand why Shealin Johnstone wasn't fouled in that last play on Saturday. If ever there was a stage to 'win at all costs'

In saying that, the run and kick pass from Johnstone was brilliant to create the goal. Just can't believe he was allowed to.
Agreed. You could guarantee if the shoe was on the other foot Kilcoo would have made the foul.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 14, 2022, 09:33:37 AM

Agreed. You could guarantee if the shoe was on the other foot Kilcoo would have made the foul.

The shoe actually was on the other foot a minute later. Kilmacud won the kick out and the Kilcoo sub and another basically wrapped the Kilmacud man up in a tackle. Then when Brannigan won the ball that came in and got it out to the sub,  23 I think, the sub ran with the ball, checked where the Crokes man was, ran across him on the solo and got his heel clipped. Free kick, time wasted, game over. Game intelligence, awareness and winning mentality. A microcosm of the difference between winning an losing.

Milltown Row2

Yes there is honesty in the game and we all give off about cynical fouling, but there is always a point when it has to be brought in to win something like this.

You'd hate to be on the end of it or in this case not carrying it out as a player, a bit like Giggs running through and winning v Arsenal lol ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

I think they would have if they could have, but For me that's what distinguishes Kilcoo and won them the All-ireland - high level of skill , pace , evasion , they've been avoiding tackles all year. That coupled with several kilmacud players cramping because they couldn't live with kilcoo's relentless intensity to the end. A fresher , faster, more skilful Johnston , did the damage when it counted most. People talk about Kilcoo's never say die attitude on the day, and that's important , but equally their decades' long  commitment to developing top quality skills and athleticism , means that not only have they the attitude, they've the tools to do the business when it counts. A bit like Ballygunner earlier in the day, blood and thunder only gets you so far, you've got to have the tools to finish the job. What a brilliant day's sport .