TG4 - Club Championships Coverage

Started by drici, September 23, 2007, 05:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

MR2 - also the return of Glass is a huge addition

lenny

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2021, 02:14:55 PM
We've been waiting what seems like an age for this team to develop into the potential that they have shown with the Ulster minor teams of the past..

Have they just found the key to winning the senior championship?

They've definitely got potential but they're up against a team who've been there and delivered several times. If this game is tight then slaughtneil have a team proven under pressure and I'd expect them to come through. They have a great record in finals and often seem to get stronger as the competition goes on. I'd expect this game to be very tense and tight. If Glen can get a 3 or 4 point lead they might just hold on. If it gets tighter than that I fancy Slaughtneil to come through by a point or 2.

Saffronaldo

Slaughtneil have one truly great footballer in McGuigan, but that shouldn't be enough to beat a better all round team in Glen. You would have to ask serious questions of Glen if they can't overcome an ageing defensive side when Glen are in their prime and have a proven quality manager.

I expect Glen to win comfortably, Slaughtneil have too many miles on the clock and are on the decline. 

lenny

Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 05, 2021, 02:33:11 PM
Slaughtneil have one truly great footballer in McGuigan, but that shouldn't be enough to beat a better all round team in Glen. You would have to ask serious questions of Glen if they can't overcome an ageing defensive side when Glen are in their prime and have a proven quality manager.

I expect Glen to win comfortably, Slaughtneil have too many miles on the clock and are on the decline.

Lol you must be a slaughtneil man trying to get stuff for the manager to say in the changing room. He'll post up your comments on the wall lol. Slaughtneil have won 5 of the last 7 so it would take a complete fool to write them off.

Saffronaldo

The big concern from a Glen perspective is that there seems to be an ingrained "loser" mentality in the club, understandably given their decades of underachievement.

The key for Glen is to get a point up early on. Slaughtneil don't like chasing a game as they don't have the quality to do it tlagainst good sides these days. They prefer to go a point up and drag the game down and rely on frees.

I fancy Glen by at least 3 or 4 points.

JoG2

Quote from: lenny on November 05, 2021, 02:42:25 PM
Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 05, 2021, 02:33:11 PM

Lol you must be a slaughtneil man trying to get stuff for the manager to say in the changing room. He'll post up your comments on the wall lol. Slaughtneil have won 5 of the last 7 so it would take a complete fool to write them off.

40 posts in a couple of days?  ;D. Not many around here post as frequently

Eire90

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 04, 2021, 12:49:37 PM
I thought players wanted to play more games. Why train all year for one knockout game.
Most counties outside Ulster operate a group stage

They got leagues for  more than one game i thought county leagues were serious

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 04, 2021, 10:18:16 PM
I thought players wanted to play more games. Why train all year for one knockout game.
As a player my personal preference would always be get as many league games played as possible, as competitive as possible, but get the league wrapped up before championship. Then championship should be straight knock out- peak for that one game and if you're good enough you go through and focus on the next one- if you're beat that's it for another year tough luck.

In fairness to Armagh county board, their fixture scheduling is easily the best anywhere in Ulster. Teams are playing in the correct grade based on League football, players have a League program and the dates are rigidly stuck to as near as possible. No postponing of fixtures due to county players and a good mixture of Friday night and Sunday games. League finished up before championship begins and 4- 6 months of an off season unless you happen to win or go deep into the championship.

I've heard that Tyrone club players now have to go back into a League programme on Sundays which could run right up until near Christmas which no player wants after a championship exit. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on November 05, 2021, 03:16:02 PM

Can you recall when teams celebrate winning the league div 1? The league is for playing in, the championship is for winning. Maybe that has changed in some counties  :-\
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Quote from: yellowcard on November 05, 2021, 03:23:06 PM
As a player my personal preference would always be get as many league games played as possible, as competitive as possible, but get the league wrapped up before championship. Then championship should be straight knock out- peak for that one game and if you're good enough you go through and focus on the next one- if you're beat that's it for another year tough luck.

In fairness to Armagh county board, their fixture scheduling is easily the best anywhere in Ulster. Teams are playing in the correct grade based on League football, players have a League program and the dates are rigidly stuck to as near as possible. No postponing of fixtures due to county players and a good mixture of Friday night and Sunday games. League finished up before championship begins and 4- 6 months of an off season unless you happen to win or go deep into the championship.

I've heard that Tyrone club players now have to go back into a League programme on Sundays which could run right up until near Christmas which no player wants after a championship exit.

It won't be 2 days before someone on here says the players want more fitbaw

rodney trotter

Quote from: Eire90 on November 05, 2021, 03:16:02 PM

No ,they
Quote from: tiempo on November 05, 2021, 04:16:30 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 05, 2021, 03:23:06 PM

It won't be 2 days before someone on here says the players want more fitbaw

More football.during the summer months. Maybe you prefer to train.for.months on.end with no games

imtommygunn

Conor glass probably a big factor I imagine. Also they have won nothing yet but would be good to see a new name in Derry for a while.

Rossfan

Meanwhile in the other 31 Counties.....
What did ye think of the Ros Co Final that was on TG4 an Dómhnach seo caite?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

brokencrossbar1

Glen will give Ulster a fair rattle this year, though they're on the same side as Kilcoo so that won't be easy navigated. An Ulster final between Glen and Clann Eireann will be a ding dong battle. 2 up and coming under age set ups finally making the break through. A new name on the Seamus McFerran cup this year methinks....