TG4 - Club Championships Coverage

Started by drici, September 23, 2007, 05:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

That's definitely a candidate for post of the year Fionntamhnach!

drici

Dia Domhnaigh   04 - 12 - 2022

Moycullen v Tourlestrane   beo
12-45pm

"Kilmacrud Crokes" v Na Dúnta   beo
2-30pm

"Kilmacrud Crokes" v Ballyhale Shamrocks   beo
4-30pm

Maybe - Programme will also include an analysis of what happened to all the wee individual shops round your way that your Ma and your Granny used to love and still talk about where they could go into,buy needed stuff and have a bit of craic with the person behind the counter.

RedHand88

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 23, 2022, 07:36:23 PM
Quote from: Too many steps on November 22, 2022, 06:21:20 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 31, 2022, 08:15:35 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 31, 2022, 07:27:32 PM
Just done a speed check on my Starlink connection; 167 mbps d/l and 23 u/l
I haven't seen any issues with speeds shrinking.

Uplink is the key speed barometer here - 23Mb/s is good for feeding 1080p to the streaming server, but little room to go any better. In my experience it's no better than EE 4G in most cases in d'north

Reports concerning shrinking speeds have come from here based on tests done with Ookla - but of course individual experiences can vary.

The likes of Starlink and other potential LEO satellite services (e.g. OneWeb) definitely have a place in areas where it is unlikely FTTP or a fast enough wireless terrestrial network (mobile or FWA) will likely reach, but while LEO satellite internet removes some of the bottlenecks that are inherent in Geostationary satellite internet, there's still a ceiling in the potential available - it's fine for now for most current customers, but as/if more customers come on stream, either more satellites are required (and there is realistically a finite number here - there's enough junk metal orbiting earth as it is!) and/or the available bandwidth has to be spread among more users. There's nothing unusual about this - as newer internet service technologies have come on over the years, new adopters often get great speeds for the technology of the time, but they get gradually slower as more users get on board with it, happened with ADSL, FTTC/VDSL2, 4G LTE and its starting to happen with 5G NR too. Even happened in the 80's & 90's with dial-up connections.

23Mbps is loads for 1080p - enough for 4k with modern encoders.

HEVC encoders on the market specced at 20Mbps max BW for 4k.

Professional broadcasters using HEVC at 6Mbps for news feeds and live with bonded sim and Satellite broadband at 1080i these days - might want to push it for sport content to 8Mbps with the extra motion.

You could certainly try running 4K video with HEVC at an 8Mb/s lossy bitrate as an uplink to a CDN server to TV studio, but the end results to the viewer will likely be sub-optimal. This is because even if that original stream looked fine, it will have been recompressed at least once by a further encoding to the end viewer (either via broadcast or IP delivery) as well as possible production use.

For linking purposes where only a lossy compression for video is practical (e.g. satellite, 4G or 5G mobile), consideration for what is intended to being filmed is required - if it's an OB only featuring interviewees there is little movement in pictures & most movements are generally predictable which isn't demanding on live encoding. However where there is lots of moving objects, where the camera is often moving and where there is quite a bit of detail in the images - like a lot of field sports - to prevent artifacting (before the picture even reaches the studio) the video encoders need a lot more elbow room to allow more frame difference pixels to be properly encoded for the same objective video quality compared to a couple of talking heads against a static background.

It's been a while since I was viewing satellite feeds, but I do recall that the live feeds for TG4's GAA Beo's OB broadcasts that were on Astra 3B at 23.5 East had their MPEG4  1080i video encoded at around 16-18 Mb/s alongside their main audio commentary track and a "no commentator" track that gave a crowd-only sound presumably so that footage could be reused without commentators as Gaelige on news reports and/or have dubbed commentary after the event. As these are live broadcasts and the feeds are SCPC, the video will be at a (mostly) fixed bitrates and in setting up will want to keep as much headspace as possible for when the encoders need to work their hardest.

Satellite use for non-critical OB use has markedly dropped in recent years, especially if the feed to the studio isn't live - if some amount of editing is done at the OB location then this can be pre-compressed using adjustable bitrates that usually is set of a perceived quality marker before being sent over an IP delivery system, be that mobile, LEO or geostationary satellies, landline xDSL or optical fibre links etc. which in essence isn't much different to uploading a video on YouTube. I've not a lot of experience myself of satellite broadband, but I'd imagine that since contention rates can be very variable and that it has only limited control over, it likely has issues with bursts & clogs of bandwidth both on downlink and uplink speeds similar to that with mobile internet, where doing a speed test can often see speeds vary wildly during the testing period due to what other users are themselves doing connected at either a specific cell site, or at another cell site that provides the bandwidth to a neigbhouring cell (usually a microwave link).

For what it's worth, as far as I'm aware there are no primary satellite based links to broadcasters covering the current soccer World Cup - instead, all of them are being delivered via private optical fibre connections to broadcasters. There are some satellite links in place (most of them encrypted) as a backup but I don't think anything's been required to need them so far.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 27, 2022, 11:12:24 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 23, 2022, 07:36:23 PM
Quote from: Too many steps on November 22, 2022, 06:21:20 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 31, 2022, 08:15:35 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 31, 2022, 07:27:32 PM
Just done a speed check on my Starlink connection; 167 mbps d/l and 23 u/l
I haven't seen any issues with speeds shrinking.

Uplink is the key speed barometer here - 23Mb/s is good for feeding 1080p to the streaming server, but little room to go any better. In my experience it's no better than EE 4G in most cases in d'north

Reports concerning shrinking speeds have come from here based on tests done with Ookla - but of course individual experiences can vary.

The likes of Starlink and other potential LEO satellite services (e.g. OneWeb) definitely have a place in areas where it is unlikely FTTP or a fast enough wireless terrestrial network (mobile or FWA) will likely reach, but while LEO satellite internet removes some of the bottlenecks that are inherent in Geostationary satellite internet, there's still a ceiling in the potential available - it's fine for now for most current customers, but as/if more customers come on stream, either more satellites are required (and there is realistically a finite number here - there's enough junk metal orbiting earth as it is!) and/or the available bandwidth has to be spread among more users. There's nothing unusual about this - as newer internet service technologies have come on over the years, new adopters often get great speeds for the technology of the time, but they get gradually slower as more users get on board with it, happened with ADSL, FTTC/VDSL2, 4G LTE and its starting to happen with 5G NR too. Even happened in the 80's & 90's with dial-up connections.

23Mbps is loads for 1080p - enough for 4k with modern encoders.

HEVC encoders on the market specced at 20Mbps max BW for 4k.

Professional broadcasters using HEVC at 6Mbps for news feeds and live with bonded sim and Satellite broadband at 1080i these days - might want to push it for sport content to 8Mbps with the extra motion.

You could certainly try running 4K video with HEVC at an 8Mb/s lossy bitrate as an uplink to a CDN server to TV studio, but the end results to the viewer will likely be sub-optimal. This is because even if that original stream looked fine, it will have been recompressed at least once by a further encoding to the end viewer (either via broadcast or IP delivery) as well as possible production use.

For linking purposes where only a lossy compression for video is practical (e.g. satellite, 4G or 5G mobile), consideration for what is intended to being filmed is required - if it's an OB only featuring interviewees there is little movement in pictures & most movements are generally predictable which isn't demanding on live encoding. However where there is lots of moving objects, where the camera is often moving and where there is quite a bit of detail in the images - like a lot of field sports - to prevent artifacting (before the picture even reaches the studio) the video encoders need a lot more elbow room to allow more frame difference pixels to be properly encoded for the same objective video quality compared to a couple of talking heads against a static background.

It's been a while since I was viewing satellite feeds, but I do recall that the live feeds for TG4's GAA Beo's OB broadcasts that were on Astra 3B at 23.5 East had their MPEG4  1080i video encoded at around 16-18 Mb/s alongside their main audio commentary track and a "no commentator" track that gave a crowd-only sound presumably so that footage could be reused without commentators as Gaelige on news reports and/or have dubbed commentary after the event. As these are live broadcasts and the feeds are SCPC, the video will be at a (mostly) fixed bitrates and in setting up will want to keep as much headspace as possible for when the encoders need to work their hardest.

Satellite use for non-critical OB use has markedly dropped in recent years, especially if the feed to the studio isn't live - if some amount of editing is done at the OB location then this can be pre-compressed using adjustable bitrates that usually is set of a perceived quality marker before being sent over an IP delivery system, be that mobile, LEO or geostationary satellies, landline xDSL or optical fibre links etc. which in essence isn't much different to uploading a video on YouTube. I've not a lot of experience myself of satellite broadband, but I'd imagine that since contention rates can be very variable and that it has only limited control over, it likely has issues with bursts & clogs of bandwidth both on downlink and uplink speeds similar to that with mobile internet, where doing a speed test can often see speeds vary wildly during the testing period due to what other users are themselves doing connected at either a specific cell site, or at another cell site that provides the bandwidth to a neigbhouring cell (usually a microwave link).

For what it's worth, as far as I'm aware there are no primary satellite based links to broadcasters covering the current soccer World Cup - instead, all of them are being delivered via private optical fibre connections to broadcasters. There are some satellite links in place (most of them encrypted) as a backup but I don't think anything's been required to need them so far.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Oh it must have been while you were kissing me

drici

Dia Sathairn   10 - 12 - 2022

Kerins 0'Rahillys v Newcastle West    beo
7-30pm

Dia Domhnaigh   11 - 12 - 2022

Kilcoo Eoghan Rua v Glen Watty Grahams
1-00pm

drici

Dia Sathairn   10 - 12 - 2022

Kerins 0'Rahillys v Newcastle West    iarbheo
7-15pm
(Match moved to Mallow at 3-00pm 'cause it's freezin'. Coverage at tg4.ie commencing 2-55pm)

Dia Domhnaigh   11 - 12 - 2022

Kilcoo Eoghan Rua v Glen Watty Grahams   beo
1-00pm

Wildweasel74

At what stage did the Kerry team get knocked of the Kerry chamionship, did they even make the county semi?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 09, 2022, 08:30:18 PM
At what stage did the Kerry team get knocked of the Kerry chamionship, did they even make the county semi?

This is the third or fourth placed  Kerry team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2022, 08:39:43 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 09, 2022, 08:30:18 PM

This is the third or fourth placed  Kerry team
Those are the rules
In the 70s Divisional Teams won Munster but it was deemed unfair so the practice was stopped.
Kerry build their county championship around the needs of the county team. Most other counties do not
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

As far as I remember watching what kerry County championship games on TV they only made quarterfinal?

imtommygunn

They've two championships though. Did they win the other one? I had heard , not sure how accurate this is, they were in danger of being relegated.

Rossfan

Austin Stacks were relegated to Intermediate.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

The real strength in the county championship, how many in the club championship, 12? Who put them out of the county championship and at what stage?

Rossfan

KO'R didn't qualify from the Group stages as far as I recall.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

You wonder if they make it out of Munster.