RG at arms length

Started by seafoid, May 15, 2023, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on May 16, 2023, 08:38:33 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 16, 2023, 01:47:59 PM
Exactly.

The competent authorities are the ones who should be doing the investigating and prosecuting if appropriate. Not a volunteer board whose skillset is no more applicable to the problem than landing a man on the moon.

-------------------

Another question that is in my mind - why did (seemingly) none of this come out when custody of the children was up? Not casting doubt on the allegations, more on how did the combination of authorities/legal representation allow things to string along this far? Did NG receive extremely bad advice during the custody proceedings?

If the allegations are true, which inferring from a lack of strong denial from RG they would appear to have substance, then the systematic failure needs examined and rectified.
Why don't you research coercive control?

So RG had coercive control of NG's legal advisors and social services?  :o
i usse an speelchekor

Itchy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 17, 2023, 10:09:41 PM
Exactly.

The competent authorities are the ones who should be doing the investigating and prosecuting if appropriate. Not a volunteer board whose skillset is no more applicable to the problem than landing a man on the moon.

-------------------

Another question that is in my mind - why did (seemingly) none of this come out when custody of the children was up? Not casting doubt on the allegations, more on how did the combination of authorities/legal representation allow things to string along this far? Did NG receive extremely bad advice during the custody proceedings?

If the allegations are true, which inferring from a lack of strong denial from RG they would appear to have substance, then the systematic failure needs examined and rectified.

Very surprised with your take on this.

restorepride

Quote from: JPO on May 17, 2023, 10:08:40 PM
He's a class forward no doubt but showed leadership?Really? Forwards are meant to take on defenders and score,simple. I do hope Armagh revert to the playing style of last year. Mimicking Derrys style will get them only so far before they are embarrassed like Derry were last year against Galway and this year in the div. 2 final against Dublin. Armagh are better than that. They were great to watch until this year. The fear of losing perhaps? Two young relatives  of mine were taken to Croke park last year for their  first  time  to watch the Galway Armagh game and were completely blown away by the spectacle. They started training with a local club this spring and spent every session without once kicking a ball..A modern well paid manager in charge and they were taught none of the basic skills. They watched two games on tv , one involving Donegal and the other involving Derry. They are now playing soccer. This is the problem with people like RG and many others at club and county level all over Ireland. They are destroying a great game and they even don't care.
Always useful to watch key moments in big games.  McGuigan is fouled and wins free for Derry in first half of extra time - scores the free himself from a tight angle to level the game.  Derry's only score in that half - that is called leadership.  Second half of extra time, Shane brings Derry back to within a point with a great score from play.  Armagh again go two ahead.  Shane gets possession and is fouled for a free as he heads towards goal, which is scored to leave a point in it.  He is again fouled in midfield, kicks the free from over 50 yards himself to level.  Leadership.  With 15 seconds left, Shane again wins possession, in his own half, from an Armagh kick out.  Again he is fouled, free sets up the point that puts Derry ahead. Leadership at the highest level.  Buries penalty in shoot out - leadership.  Some people lead, some can recognise leadership, some can't - same in most workplaces, same in football.  McGuigan was absolutely outstanding in terms of leadership for Derry as we win Ulster again.  Why he won man of the match.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thebuzz on May 17, 2023, 06:00:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2023, 02:47:32 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 17, 2023, 02:44:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 02:11:14 PM
I hope that he has good advice. He could fix himself, sort out the family stuff, turn things around and come back to the sport, I imagine. He could also self destruct. He is a very talented coach.
if allegations are true he should not be anywhere near the sport again, at least without a lengthy spell inside.

That goes for anyone in any sport, but in reality, that's not going to happen, there must be countless offenders out there looking after teams or involved in GAA.

How can you make this assumption? What are you basing this on?

The reason the GAA don't know how to handle this is because it's never really come up that much before as far as I'm aware.

There may be countless offenders in the General Public but I don't see why it has to follow that 'there must be countless offenders out there looking after teams or involved in GAA'.

In one year alone (2021) there was over 25,000 reported domestic abuse cases to the police in the south alone..

You keep your head in the sand if you think none are involved in your local GAA
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lenny

Quote from: JPO on May 17, 2023, 10:08:40 PM
He's a class forward no doubt but showed leadership?Really? Forwards are meant to take on defenders and score,simple. I do hope Armagh revert to the playing style of last year. Mimicking Derrys style will get them only so far before they are embarrassed like Derry were last year against Galway and this year in the div. 2 final against Dublin. Armagh are better than that. They were great to watch until this year. The fear of losing perhaps? Two young relatives  of mine were taken to Croke park last year for their  first  time  to watch the Galway Armagh game and were completely blown away by the spectacle. They started training with a local club this spring and spent every session without once kicking a ball..A modern well paid manager in charge and they were taught none of the basic skills. They watched two games on tv , one involving Donegal and the other involving Derry. They are now playing soccer. This is the problem with people like RG and many others at club and county level all over Ireland. They are destroying a great game and they even don't care.

You just stick to the apples, you'll get sick eating all those sour grapes.

seafoid

Exactly.

-------------------

Coercive control is based on fear. Perhaps Mrs Gallagher wasn't able to say everything to the social workers. Perhaps she only found her voice last Tuesday.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 18, 2023, 07:16:48 AM
Exactly.

-------------------

Coercive control is based on fear. Perhaps Mrs Gallagher wasn't able to say everything to the social workers. Perhaps she only found her voice last Tuesday.

I thought she'd reported him long before that? And the police had a file on him?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2023, 12:14:53 AM
Quote from: thebuzz on May 17, 2023, 06:00:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 17, 2023, 02:47:32 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 17, 2023, 02:44:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 17, 2023, 02:11:14 PM
I hope that he has good advice. He could fix himself, sort out the family stuff, turn things around and come back to the sport, I imagine. He could also self destruct. He is a very talented coach.
if allegations are true he should not be anywhere near the sport again, at least without a lengthy spell inside.

That goes for anyone in any sport, but in reality, that's not going to happen, there must be countless offenders out there looking after teams or involved in GAA.

How can you make this assumption? What are you basing this on?

The reason the GAA don't know how to handle this is because it's never really come up that much before as far as I'm aware.

There may be countless offenders in the General Public but I don't see why it has to follow that 'there must be countless offenders out there looking after teams or involved in GAA'.

In one year alone (2021) there was over 25,000 reported domestic abuse cases to the police in the south alone..

You keep your head in the sand if you think none are involved in your local GAA

or posting on here???

imtommygunn

GAA people are still people and they will be some bad ones in there - it's the same in any walk of life. It's the same in any organisation- if the organisation know nothing about someone's wrongdoings it is not the organisation's fault at all. You have a problem if the organisation knew about an individual and let them carry on regardless.

Statistically I would say it would be low enough so it would be a stretch to say countless mind you...

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 18, 2023, 07:55:29 AM
GAA people are still people and they will be some bad ones in there - it's the same in any walk of life. It's the same in any organisation- if the organisation know nothing about someone's wrongdoings it is not the organisation's fault at all. You have a problem if the organisation knew about an individual and let them carry on regardless.

Statistically I would say it would be low enough so it would be a stretch to say countless mind you...
If there were 25,000 Domestic Violence cases last year say there are 50,000 perpetrators overall
The population is 5 million. Perpetrators are all men, say
50,000/2500000= 2%
That's one in 50.

imtommygunn

There is a bit of extrapolation there plus I think it's probably not a sound assumption that all the perpetrators are men.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 18, 2023, 08:42:32 AM
There is a bit of extrapolation there plus I think it's probably not a sound assumption that all the perpetrators are men.
Adding an extra assumption like 90% might be too far. It's not's going to be 50%
The key relationship is 25000/5 million = 0.5% or 1 in 200.
That number is actually quite high to start .

imtommygunn

It is. More of it than, probably thankfully, most people realise.

Never beat the deeler

Whatever the finer points about extrapolation and assumptions, the fact that there are over 25,000 DV cases reported per year is absolutely depressing.

We need to do more to educate our boys and young men
Hasta la victoria siempre

Dabh

Quote from: seafoid on May 18, 2023, 08:28:49 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 18, 2023, 07:55:29 AM

If there were 25,000 Domestic Violence cases last year say there are 50,000 perpetrators overall
The population is 5 million. Perpetrators are all men, say
50,000/2500000= 2%
That's one in 50.

according to Womens Aid
https://www.womensaid.ie/about/policy/natintstats.html

One in four women in Ireland who have been in a relationship have been abused by a current or former partner.

14% of women in Ireland have experienced physical violence by a partner (current or former) since age 15
6% of Irish women have experienced sexual violence
31% of women have experienced psychological violence by a current or former partner since age 15

Frightening stats