RG at arms length

Started by seafoid, May 15, 2023, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPO

Sorry I forgot to mention. Shane Mcguigan had a brilliant game and deserved the man of the match award. He's a class forward and great to watch. 

harryR

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 17, 2023, 07:38:48 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 17, 2023, 05:37:22 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 17, 2023, 05:26:45 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 17, 2023, 05:24:36 PM
Got two unexpected Ulster's with Derry, serious achievement and Derry will more than likely return back into the pack now he has left.

I don't think youse will nrico.. Great club scene going atm looking in from outside and you've had great underage teams past few years.. Them senior titles youngsters can see there's something for them to join

Always had strongest club scene in Ulster and good underage sides, need someone special to harmonise it all together.

I think that's a myth about having the strongest club scene in ulster.
When Crossmaglen dominated Armagh for years it didn't mean they had the best club scene, only that they had one top class club.
Derry have had 2 top class clubs over the last 10 years in slaughtneil and Glen.
I actually think Tyrone club scene is the most competitive in ulster, there's realistically 5 or 6 teams with a chance of winning the championship. They don't do well in ulster interestingly.

In my opinion, one or two top clubs can be enough to generate a serious intercounty side but only temporarily.
A more competitive club championship should provide a more stable senior team over a prolonged period and I think that explains Tyrone and also why Armagh peaked for a while.

Derry have about 5 years I reckon with thus squad being able to challenge, but another club or two could rise too to keep us there.

That's unfair about the club scene. For years clubs like balinderry, Coleraine, glen, slaughtneil and maghetfelt would have given any club team in Ireland there fill of it. Would love to have seen Derry revert to a straight knockout championship..think some of the draws and matches would be exceptional

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

smort

quit yo jibbajabba

This is funny. On the armagh derry thread there was a complaint that there was too much talk about RG. This thread was created and now yis are talkin about the match 😃😃
with a nice little smattering of "whos got the best club championship" threatening to break out 😃😃

But anyway. Someone has mentoned cocaine....duno if hes buying or selling...

square_ball

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 18, 2023, 02:05:50 PM
This is funny. On the armagh derry thread there was a complaint that there was too much talk about RG. This thread was created and now yis are talkin about the match 😃😃
with a nice little smattering of "whos got the best club championship" threatening to break out 😃😃

Usually we have to wait to after the summer for this kind of chat. We're early on the go this year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: square_ball on May 18, 2023, 02:09:22 PM

Usually we have to wait to after the summer for this kind of chat. We're early on the go this year.

Westmeath clubs have a better return outside of their club championships  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ck

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2023, 12:59:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2023, 12:48:44 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2023, 11:00:57 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 18, 2023, 08:54:40 AM
Whatever the finer points about extrapolation and assumptions, the fact that there are over 25,000 DV cases reported per year is absolutely depressing.

We need to do more to educate our boys and young men

The North is one of the most dangerous places to be a woman in Europe. DV is a pandemic. RG is the tip of the iceberg. But he showed us. His aggressive behaviour on the side line was a sneak peak. These people can be confrontational, nasty and extremely aggressive.

Been to any club games lately? Going by that daft assessment we'd have hundreds of coaches that would fit your view?

Christ, its ok to dislike someone but get confused with passion/will to win/competitiveness and beating women up

RG is far beyond what was acceptable.
Shouting and ranting at opposition players
Shouting and ranting at opposition management
Shouting and ranting at his own players
Aggressively celebrating scores against teams including teams Derry were 10+ points better than

Calling it passion is an excuse. It all paints a picture of an extremely aggressive and confrontational person. I had called his behaviour out in threads before only for the Mods (wrongly in my view) to delete the posts.

Spot on. His aggressive celebration of his teams scores was at odds with all other managers, very unusual behaviour. This ought not to be confused with passion which is a positive quality. RG is well known for verbally abusing opposition players, management and even his own management team. It's this arrogant, aggressive, bullying characteristic that is the issue in question here.
I hope his ex wife can put her life and mental state back together and that RG end's up behind bars, if nothing else it would send a message to the next generation as to what is acceptable in our society.

JoG2

Facebook psychology 101. The keyboard won't refuse the taps that's for sure.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: square_ball on May 18, 2023, 02:09:22 PM

Its like the 12th. Gets earlier each year

johnnycool

Quote from: JoG2 on May 18, 2023, 02:45:27 PM
Facebook psychology 101. The keyboard won't refuse the taps that's for sure.

Sheesh,
    We're now surmising who's a wife beater based on how they behave along the line during a game, spitting on their hands must be a sure sign giveaway then also.

If only it was that simple.

tbrick18

;D
Good point well made!

To bring it back to topic then, RG had no choice but to step down. I said it originally on the other thread, if he's guilty of what has been claimed it's jail he should get. No ifs, no buts.
It should allow Derry to move forward too with no more distractions, but it does rob them of an excellent manager and coach. Time will tell how this affects them, but like I said there is not other option on that front.

The thing that concerns me in general is that social media in this instance seems to be the judge and jury with so many people regurgitating "facts" they read on facebook and based on those facts the guilty verdict is issued. I don't agree with that. The allegations may well turn out to be factual, but they are also not impartial so I'd always be wary, rightly or wrongly.
In my personal opinion, allegations like this should be made to authorities and investigated without any names in the public domain until such times as an outcome is reached. It protects all parties involved, especially innocent children caught in a crossfire. By all means, name and shame someone found guilty of DV other crimes.

The second thing I disagree with, which is linked, is that I don't believe anyone or any organisation is under any obligation to make public statements of any kind unless legally obliged to. Derry CB and Ulster GAA made statements condemning DV and stating it should be reported to authorities. That's not enough for the online lynch mobs though (the irony of me posting online about this isn't lost on me). Whether or not RG makes public statements about allegations against him in public is entirely up to him and shouldn't be made because the masses want to hear what he has to say for himself. Whether or not Derry CB or Ulster council make statements directly about this particular case is up to them and I'd imagine they've taken legal advice.

Like I said, DV is wrong in all circumstances and should be dealt with harshly. I just dont believe that through social media is the way to do it, though I may be in the minority in my way of thinking.

seafoid

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 18, 2023, 03:14:11 PM

;D
Good point well made!

To bring it back to topic then, RG had no choice but to step down. I said it originally on the other thread, if he's guilty of what has been claimed it's jail he should get. No ifs, no buts.
It should allow Derry to move forward too with no more distractions, but it does rob them of an excellent manager and coach. Time will tell how this affects them, but like I said there is not other option on that front.

The thing that concerns me in general is that social media in this instance seems to be the judge and jury with so many people regurgitating "facts" they read on facebook and based on those facts the guilty verdict is issued. I don't agree with that. The allegations may well turn out to be factual, but they are also not impartial so I'd always be wary, rightly or wrongly.
In my personal opinion, allegations like this should be made to authorities and investigated without any names in the public domain until such times as an outcome is reached. It protects all parties involved, especially innocent children caught in a crossfire. By all means, name and shame someone found guilty of DV other crimes.

The second thing I disagree with, which is linked, is that I don't believe anyone or any organisation is under any obligation to make public statements of any kind unless legally obliged to. Derry CB and Ulster GAA made statements condemning DV and stating it should be reported to authorities. That's not enough for the online lynch mobs though (the irony of me posting online about this isn't lost on me). Whether or not RG makes public statements about allegations against him in public is entirely up to him and shouldn't be made because the masses want to hear what he has to say for himself. Whether or not Derry CB or Ulster council make statements directly about this particular case is up to them and I'd imagine they've taken legal advice.

Like I said, DV is wrong in all circumstances and should be dealt with harshly. I just dont believe that through social media is the way to do it, though I may be in the minority in my way of thinking.
I don't think it lasted very long though- from the Tuesday to the day he resigned . Then the media  caravan moved on.
Nobody is going into deep analysis of him now.

larryin89

Social media been blamed is a load of nonsense , so if she said it in the local boozer or bingo hall , it carries more weight .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

smelmoth

Your legal obligations are the bare minimum. Fail to meet them and you are in legal difficulty.

Most people strive to go a little beyond the legal minimum.

Community organisations even more so. Community organisations tend to aim to achieve more and to publicise the extra that they do. This attracts membership, volunteers, funding, sponsors and goodwill. You can't play that role and then stick to the legal minimum.

If Derry's view was that they are only going to do what they legally have to then they should at least be honest about it and make a statement and say that DV is bad and all that but they will only do something if they legally have to.