Tailteann Cup 2023 - Rules from GAA Master Fixtures List

Started by GAABoardMod5, March 29, 2023, 02:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

full moon

Quote from: armaghniac on June 25, 2023, 05:15:01 PM
Laois do not even have a sheet defence, never mind a blanket defence. It isn't so long since they were hard to beat.

Quote from: full moon on June 25, 2023, 05:13:03 PM
Down really should have got promoted to Division 2. No real surprises in this Tailteann. Down Meath and Cavan were the best teams in it, Down knocked out Cavan , Down will beat Meath in final I reckon although it will be tighter than this.

League tables doesn't lie really.

Are Down above Meath in the league table?
No but they're not a massive amount between the teams.

I think the fact Antrim put Meath so tight and Down are obliterating Laois would lead most to favour Down in the final.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: full moon on June 25, 2023, 05:15:55 PM
Such a hammering doesn't do much for the competition. It definitely hasn't went as well as last year. It's usually only those from bigger counties that say that as the want the smaller counties out of the way. It's got barely any coverage even today as the Sam Maguire and Liam McCarthy was so condensed.

It's not a competition I have much interest in. Even talking about the success of Westmeath, they will be in it again next year and Division 3 so have they really progressed that much.

Think the competition has produced one hammering though, Westmeath were a missed free from being in the pre quarterfinal games this weekend, if you think they haven't improved from last year I don't think you've watched them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Obvious

Milltown Row2

Quote from: full moon on June 25, 2023, 05:18:35 PM
Laois do not even have a sheet defence, never mind a blanket defence. It isn't so long since they were hard to beat.

Down really should have got promoted to Division 2. No real surprises in this Tailteann. Down Meath and Cavan were the best teams in it, Down knocked out Cavan , Down will beat Meath in final I reckon although it will be tighter than this.

I think the fact Antrim put Meath so tight and Down are obliterating Laois would lead most to favour Down in the final.

Antrim should have beaten Down this year and Down got out of jail in the last seconds of that game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

jcpen

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 05:16:24 PM
In fairness to Down they are not taking their foot off the pedal
You'd wonder is there a need for it?
Tomorrow is promised to no one.

full moon

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 05:19:30 PM
Such a hammering doesn't do much for the competition. It definitely hasn't went as well as last year. It's usually only those from bigger counties that say that as the want the smaller counties out of the way. It's got barely any coverage even today as the Sam Maguire and Liam McCarthy was so condensed.

It's not a competition I have much interest in. Even talking about the success of Westmeath, they will be in it again next year and Division 3 so have they really progressed that much.

Think the competition has produced one hammering though, Westmeath were a missed free from being in the pre quarterfinal games this weekend, if you think they haven't improved from last year I don't think you've watched them
They performed well in the groups and still got eliminated 4th. They were fairly poor in Division 3 this year.  They got eliminated in the Leinster championship by Louth.

Not sure they are much further on really.

full moon

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 05:20:45 PM
Quote from: full moon on June 25, 2023, 05:18:35 PM

Antrim should have beaten Down this year and Down got out of jail in the last seconds of that game

Antrim are an improved side this year I don't deny that.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 05:20:45 PM

I think both Antrim and Down have come on a lot since that. Could be an interesting Ulster Championship next year.

Lazer

Games like today dispel the theory that it's good for teams, what did either Laois or Down get out of today's game?

. As Laverty said after the game they would trade it all to be in the All-Ireland.

Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lazer on June 25, 2023, 06:02:07 PM

Games like today dispel the theory that it's good for teams, what did either Laois or Down get out of today's game?

. As Laverty said after the game they would trade it all to be in the All-Ireland.

You've got to earn the right to be in it, Down put out of Ulster and in Div3, that's their level, you can't just 'arrive' or be at that level when hammering a poorly set up Laois team

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 06:43:02 PM
Quote from: Lazer on June 25, 2023, 06:02:07 PM

You've got to earn the right to be in it, Down put out of Ulster and in Div3, that's their level, you can't just 'arrive' or be at that level when hammering a poorly set up Laois team

100% right. They had 2 options to qualify and weren't able to take them!

marty34

I think there should be 3 competitions in football.  Graded like the hurling. Allows for progression.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on June 25, 2023, 08:32:32 PM
I think there should be 3 competitions in football.  Graded like the hurling. Allows for progression.

Also regression, which is one of the reasons why (in football) there is resistance

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 08:36:27 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 25, 2023, 08:32:32 PM

Also regression, which is one of the reasons why (in football) there is resistance

Laois have regressed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B