2024 Provincial Football Championships draw.

Started by Blowitupref, October 20, 2023, 04:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

ulster the only championship that looks a bit interesting

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Eire90 on October 21, 2023, 05:57:00 PMulster the only championship that looks a bit interesting

Connacht is interesting with two Div 1 sides facing off in the semi final and winner should play Galway another Div 1 team in the final and the tribesmen will have home advantage for the final or be it home advantage doesn't seem to count for a lot in Connacht.

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 21, 2023, 04:03:43 PMUlster final bare minimum for us looking at that.

A quarter final penalty shootout awaits.

An Watcher

Quote from: tyroneman on October 21, 2023, 05:15:09 PMArmagh really do have some luck with the Ulster draws in recent years

God, all you heard last year was they got no luck at all despite being handed a simple route to the ulster final.  Down have improved but looks like a simular handy draw this year.  Maybe mcgeeney will finally get a trophy

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 21, 2023, 06:20:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 21, 2023, 04:03:43 PMUlster final bare minimum for us looking at that.

A quarter final penalty shootout awaits.
Jarlath will have them gone by then! ;)

Wildweasel74

Still think we have too much for Donegal, semi final another matter, statistics against Derry doing 3, with only Armagh doing it since the 60's.Thats a long time, with both Tyrone and Donegal not fit to do it more recently. So question is, do we use the league and Ulster to blood more players to try get to the standard for the qualifiers and not go all out and maybe get badly burned later in the year.

LeoMc

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 21, 2023, 08:05:12 PMStill think we have too much for Donegal, semi final another matter, statistics against Derry doing 3, with only Armagh doing it since the 60's.Thats a long time, with both Tyrone and Donegal not fit to do it more recently. So question is, do we use the league and Ulster to blood more players to try get to the standard for the qualifiers and not go all out and maybe get badly burned later in the year.
You need to factor in the new Management set-ups.

Wildweasel74

Donegal too far off it, they haven't the players from 2008-14, Gallen a very good player, but McBearty went way back, not great at the back either. I think Monaghan (presume they beat Cavan in their for this year) playing Tyrone is the hardest game to call, Monaghan have one more year, before all the guys I thought would retired this year, call it a day.

JoG2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 21, 2023, 11:16:48 PMDonegal too far off it, they haven't the players from 2008-14, Gallen a very good player, but McBearty went way back, not great at the back either. I think Monaghan (presume they beat Cavan in their for this year) playing Tyrone is the hardest game to call, Monaghan have one more year, before all the guys I thought would retired this year, call it a day.

McGuinness will have had his squad for 6 months by the time the ball throws in, they won't be too far off it I'd say

marty34

Heard Mc Ginley on Radio 1 today talking about Jimmy might try to get a certain player back.

You never know.

balladmaker

Quote from: marty34 on October 22, 2023, 12:44:33 AMHeard Mc Ginley on Radio 1 today talking about Jimmy might try to get a certain player back.

You never know.

It felt like a premature retirement when it happened.  However, irrespective if he does return, McGuinness will be working with a much less capable Donegal outfit than what he previously had.  Yes, he'll have them for 6 months before the Championship, if you don't have the calibre of player, time is irrelevant.  Interesting all the same, when or if Derry face Tyrone is the big question.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on October 22, 2023, 12:44:33 AMHeard Mc Ginley on Radio 1 today talking about Jimmy might try to get a certain player back.

You never know.
He was well slowed when he retired and another year on the clock won't help, but he's more than capable of doing similar to McManus last year. Be some help for them

Mario

You never know.
Do they want Brendan Rogers to retire him twice

bennydorano

I'd say Murphy could come back and play at 14 with no other outfield nonsense distracting him at this stage of his career ok.

J70

Murphy wasn't the only Donegal player to opt or miss out for all or part of last year. Will McGuinness get Ryan McHugh back? The O'Donnells from St Eunans?

I believe McFadden Ferry got another bad injury, so he probably won't be recovered in time (missing today's county final too). But the likes of Peadar Mogan and Michael Langan should hopefully be fit and available.