Celtic Symphony and Class

Started by Itchy, January 02, 2023, 12:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Question

When a number of Irish woman's soccer players were recorded singing Celtic Symphony there were 10 pages of comments on the FAI thread. They were dragged through the media, north and south, and forced into a grovelling apology. The FAI were fined.

Yesterday Leinster Rugby played the song over the Tannoy system during the post match parade. This is the 2nd time this has been done. Leinster players too have been previously recorded singing the same song

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/watch-delighted-leinster-players-singing-16335270

Hardly a murmur over on the Irish rugby thread.

So it's clear there is classism at play here but is the same classism at play on the gaaboard - working class young women are fair game but rugger men from affluent Dublin aren't?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on January 02, 2023, 12:15:37 PM
Question

When a number of Irish woman's soccer players were recorded singing Celtic Symphony there were 10 pages of comments on the FAI thread. They were dragged through the media, north and south, and forced into a grovelling apology. The FAI were fined.

Yesterday Leinster Rugby played the song over the Tannoy system during the post match parade. This is the 2nd time this has been done. Leinster players too have been previously recorded singing the same song

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/watch-delighted-leinster-players-singing-16335270

Hardly a murmur over on the Irish rugby thread.

So it's clear there is classism at play here but is the same classism at play on the gaaboard - working class young women are fair game but rugger men from affluent Dublin aren't?

Our national broadcaster is based in Donnybook.

seafoid

The Gaaboard does not lead the media cacophony on this. If the Newsletter says nothing there is no issue.
Anyway I honestly think the Unionists tore the arse out of it last time. Pauw apologised and everything but they went on for another 3 days.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on January 02, 2023, 12:37:56 PM
The Gaaboard does not lead the media cacophony on this. If the Newsletter says nothing there is no issue.
Anyway I honestly think the Unionists tore the arse out of it last time. Pauw apologised and everything but they went on for another 3 days.

Newsletter hardly gets RTE going does it?

Milltown Row2

In that video they aren't singing oh ah up the ra... have you a longer clip?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 02, 2023, 12:54:38 PM

Yeh I've loads of clips thats why I sent you a link from dublinlive.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on January 02, 2023, 01:07:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 02, 2023, 12:54:38 PM

Yeh I've loads of clips thats why I sent you a link from dublinlive.

Would be better to hear the d4's singing up the ra though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Scarlet

There is definitely an ability to close down this from the rugby old boys network. There is a real sacred cow thing with Irish Rugby and there are some online arguing the chorus wasn't even played.

Also, despite their best efforts it is not Rugby Country and a soccer story will always be bigger.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Main Street

Milltown Row2

Is that the supporters or players?

If you up load one with the players then you can compare it better

As for the tannoy doing it it's not the players which load the songs

Wildweasel74

Never understood playing irish tunes for what is basically a foreign soccer club. Pity Irish people wouldn't get behind local soccer teams instead of UK based teams.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on January 02, 2023, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 02, 2023, 12:37:56 PM

Newsletter hardly gets RTE going does it?
It did the last time. The Irish media did the mea culpa for a few hours after Pauw apoligised. The Unionist media continued for a few more days.

Blowitupref

The Wolf tones on twitter today

QuoteWhy the need to apologise ... maybe those complaining should actually listen to the song in context ... the usual suspects make yet another attempt to alienate Irish songs
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

AustinPowers

Are Irish people ashamed  of their history?  Didn't the IRA's  campaign achieve (partial) independence? 

Listen to  the words of most national anthems in the world and  you'll find  similar words  as those in Wolfe Tones songs (we shot our neighbours, drove them  out of our country , sunk their ships , stole all their gold/sheep etc ) yet they're sung with pride at sporting events  and such things.

seafoid

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 02, 2023, 01:40:53 PM
Never understood playing irish tunes for what is basically a foreign soccer club. Pity Irish people wouldn't get behind local soccer teams instead of UK based teams.
Celtic isn't as foreign as Bayern Munich.