Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryR

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2023, 02:40:32 PM
Quote from: harryR on February 08, 2023, 02:24:00 PM
Ulster teams need to play matches against teams from the south as often as possible if they want to improve. Teams like slaughtneil, ballycran and the other stronger non Antrim clubs get no benefit from playing matches against other Ulster teams

The top tier teams in Ulster S'niel, Dunloy, Loughgiel, Cushendall, Portaferry, Ballycran would be able to compete in the Kilkenny/Tipp/Galway/Limerick leagues. I said compete though, and with their championships that would be a different ask also but not impossible.

I one league alone Antrim would have only 3 teams that would meet a standard, we just don't have enough clubs that can commit to that.. I would love to see a proper Belfast hurling only club or two that would put all efforts into hurling only, but setting aside club pride would be the hardest thing, in doing that I believe we'd have 6 or even 7 clubs that would be hurling at a higher standard and generating better players through the juvenile set ups

Na magha would be a hurling only team from Derry city, underage teams all fairly decent however they seem to struggle alot when it gets to senior team. Weakest team in Derry for a while

imtommygunn

Clare had 16 men on the field there. Ref soon sorted it and gave the extra boy a yellow. Think he was a bit paranoid about it blowing up :D

Limerick still looking sharp with a few missing. Waterford could be doing with less red cards.

Kidder81

seafoid

The all Ireland will come down to who has the strongest panel. Same as the 6 nations.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Kidder81 on February 11, 2023, 09:49:59 PM
Clare were dreadful

It wasn't that they were missing Kelly - their style of play was awful. Limerick get the ball and they're pinging men to their hand with accuracy and Clare just lump it anywhere and then let their men fight for it. It's like they haven't evolved with the game.

johnnycool

Tipp giving kk the run around. How can the kk defence allow a tipp player free as a bird at the top of the D time and time again I don't know.
Kk will have the wind second half , they'll need a good start

seafoid

Cork are doing well v Galway

marty34

Early days. Wouldn't be panicking about the league lads.

Teams getting a good look at their panel and making a lot of changes from week to week and during the game.

All geared to the round robins in a few months.

Milltown Row2

Was worried how Antrim would fair today, Dublin taking advantage of our mistakes and overplaying the ball..

That said if them goal's had have went in we'd be a lot closer!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

The split season has downgraded the status of the league in hurling which is a pity.

shark

Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2023, 06:52:32 PM
The split season has downgraded the status of the league in hurling which is a pity.

That is nonsense. The league has been crap for a hell of a long time. The championship being on a league basis downgraded the league more than anything. Chopping and changing the format downgraded it.

imtommygunn

It's not the split season- if they made one division one it would be fine. All the top teams know they are safe. If you had like they had the old division one there would be no room for slip ups.

Blowitupref

Quote from: shark on February 12, 2023, 07:24:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2023, 06:52:32 PM

That is nonsense. The league has been crap for a hell of a long time. The championship being on a league basis downgraded the league more than anything. Chopping and changing the format downgraded it.
Seems that alright.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

It was strange that they went with Round robin in the Munster championship. It was always regarded as the ultimate championship to win.  It's too long now and not the same bite

marty34

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 12, 2023, 08:03:54 PM
It was strange that they went with Round robin in the Munster championship. It was always regarded as the ultimate championship to win.  It's too long now and not the same bite

The thing about the round robins is a couole of big teams will not get through to the knock out stages.  That's why the round robins are cut throat. A couple of years ago, Dublin, I think lost out on points difference.

I think the Joe Mc Donagh winners getting into the knock out stages is fair enough (to help them progress etc.) but to see the beaten finalists get in also at the expense of a 'bigger' team is madness to me.

That's why the league is not as important.

The round robins come straight after the league.  Teams really need another weeks break, maybe two weeks even.