Would you manage versus your own

Started by Truth hurts, November 08, 2022, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Any manager who sits a game out because of this shouldn't be back the next week.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on November 08, 2022, 03:01:31 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on November 08, 2022, 02:22:30 PM
Kilcoo have their All Ireland. Is there an argument for him to have a desire to get one himself? I'm sure he'll go out and give Ballybay the best chance he can.

He will be living among Kilcoo people for the rest of his life. If he beats his sons, his nephews and his own club he will be forever reminded of the time he took down his own when they were trying to defend their AI title. If Ballybay lose nobody will bat an eyelid in a few weeks time. He will leave the club regardless as a success after steering them to a county title. I think it would suit both Ballybay and Johnson himself if they mutually agreed for him to step aside.
If Ballybay do beat them then so be it, they weren't good enough to defend their title.

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 08, 2022, 03:18:17 PM
Kilcoo have their All Ireland. Is there an argument for him to have a desire to get one himself? I'm sure he'll go out and give Ballybay the best chance he can.

He will be living among Kilcoo people for the rest of his life. If he beats his sons, his nephews and his own club he will be forever reminded of the time he took down his own when they were trying to defend their AI title. If Ballybay lose nobody will bat an eyelid in a few weeks time. He will leave the club regardless as a success after steering them to a county title. I think it would suit both Ballybay and Johnson himself if they mutually agreed for him to step aside.
If Ballybay do beat them then so be it, they weren't good enough to defend their title.

He better be still living in Newcastle if that happens or move to the one upon Tyne...

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 08, 2022, 03:18:17 PM

It's not as simple as that. There will be tactical planning taking place before the match and Johnson will have a lot of inside knowledge into how Kilcoo operate both individually and collectively. If he actually applies this knowledge it is worth a lot to Ballybay.

If he is not inclined to do so then he can't carry out his job properly and would be best standing down. Is he going to task players with taking down his sons and nephews during the week when assigning match ups, I just can't see how he can do his job properly. 

Lotto

That is some pile of dung of an article about Jerome Johnston. I remember reading bits of it at the time and same again here. Many parts are just pure fiction all to make a good story. Everyone in Down knows the depths they go to win at all levels of their club. Johnston is the Ballybay manager and should grow a pair.

rodney trotter

He is the joint manager so it's not a total disaster if he stepped aside for the game. Ballybay surely know enough about Kilcoo as it is,with them being All Ireland club champions.

Schkite

I suppose at least he made it clear from the start so there were no surprises for Ballybay this week. I still think it's a bit mad - he's there to do a job and he's being compensated for it. Sure if Ballybay can beat the AI champs without him now, there'll be some people wondering do they even need him back.

J McEntee had the right idea when he was over us a few years ago(as mentioned in above article) - put the head down and get on with the job at hand with little fuss. Your connection to your home club never goes away, but when you've been put in a position elsewhere, you need to follow through imo.

Wildweasel74

Hes been paid Obviously to manage Ballybay, he pulls out now, he can paid back what the money he got. R McGuckin managerial creditionals never really recovered the time he was managing a Tyrone team playing Ballinderry. And he pulled out.

tintin25

Jez, this lad seriously needs to get over himself.  Not managing because of some family ties...it's pathetic.

Armagh18

Quote from: Lotto on November 08, 2022, 07:22:42 PM
That is some pile of dung of an article about Jerome Johnston. I remember reading bits of it at the time and same again here. Many parts are just pure fiction all to make a good story. Everyone in Down knows the depths they go to win at all levels of their club. Johnston is the Ballybay manager and should grow a pair.
Maybe the rest of Down need to grow a pair, quit crying about their dark arts and beat them. Agree on Johnston but do see where he's coming from and in fairness if he made it clear from the start then no issue

nrico2006

Quote from: tintin25 on November 09, 2022, 08:04:22 AM
Jez, this lad seriously needs to get over himself.  Not managing because of some family ties...it's pathetic.

Agreed, I'm sure a lot of us have been in situations where we have played against people we know well, it's just a game though and you get on with it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yellowcard

Tough decision for Johnson but ultimately the correct one for all concerned imo. Is this match being televised anywhere, even deferred coverage?

imtommygunn