Would you manage versus your own

Started by Truth hurts, November 08, 2022, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

A big decision for Jerome Johnson this week as he has to make a decision to manage versus his own club and 3 sons. Would you do it and I personally couldn't?

Armagh18

He'd have known there was a strong possibility of this and was probably actually aiming for it when he took the job. Interesting back story to talk about but can't see it having much effect, not like he's playing.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 08, 2022, 10:14:21 AM
He'd have known there was a strong possibility of this and was probably actually aiming for it when he took the job. Interesting back story to talk about but can't see it having much effect, not like he's playing.

but deep down hes a Kilcoo man, he will want them to win

square_ball

There's been no chat of Malachy O'Rourke stepping down when he is facing a club he was won championships with and is still a member of as far as I know and rightly so.
If you're prepared to take a club other than your own then you should be prepared to face them if the situation arises. McGuckin standing down 10 years ago in the Errigal v Ballinderry was a farce of a situation imo.

toby47

I don't think I would, especially with 3 sons on the other team.

It wouldn't be fair on the team I was managing, as I 100% wouldn't want them to win. Thats just my own personal thoughts & know others will have different opinions.

general_lee

I wouldn't. It's something I'd make known before taking the job so there's no confusion.

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 08, 2022, 10:15:56 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 08, 2022, 10:14:21 AM

but deep down hes a Kilcoo man, he will want them to win
Naturally enough but I don't think he's gonna try to sabotage Ballybay by dropping Finlay and putting Ward in nets lol.

themac_23

if you're that concerned about your own club then dont manage an outside club. Regardless if they are in a different county, you take a job on you do the job. We get all misty eyed about the GAA but look at soccer, even at a local level. Take Barry Gray when he was Cliftonville manager, he had taken Warrenpoint from nowhere, done everything around the club but didnt stop him doing his job for Cliftonville against the Point when the time came.

If I was a player and a manager asked me to sacrifice so much over a season to then say he wasn't managing us in our biggest game of the year id be furious. Either do the job or dont.

square_ball

Quote from: toby47 on November 08, 2022, 10:26:38 AM
I don't think I would, especially with 3 sons on the other team.

It wouldn't be fair on the team I was managing, as I 100% wouldn't want them to win. Thats just my own personal thoughts & know others will have different opinions.

Trying to picture the scene here. You'd arrive to training in Ballybay tonight or send in a message to the WhatsApp group and say sorry lads I can't make it this Sunday as I want Kilcoo to win this match but if you do manage to get over the line, which I really hope you don't, then I'll see you lads again this time next week at training and we can start the preparations for the Ulster semi final.

Schkite

Am I the only one in thinking it's a bit mad this is even a question? Sure it will be tough for him, but surely he would have known earlier in the year that this was a good possibility if Ballybay managed to win Monaghan (which is what he was aiming to do). He's not doing it for free either so it'd be bad form imo if he just bowed out. 

It's not an easy position to be in sure, but this has happened before and it'll happen again. Maybe this is the most extreme example with 3 sons in the other side, but managers have put the head down and got on with the job at hand in similar positions before. A different sort of example in Monaghan was a few years ago when Marty Corey was coaching Cavan and they came up against Monaghan and his twin Vinny(and other clubmates and friends). He put that to the side and got on with it. Now it's a bit different when it's father and son sure, but it's happened in the past.

tonto1888

I imagine he is being paid to manage Ballybay so would he really have a choice?

tintin25

Jesus, who cares....complete non story

Estimator

With reference to the Ronan McGuckin scenario from 2012. It was reported at the time that the conflict of interest – Errigal C playing The Shamrocks – was factored in before he got the job, and that EC were fully aware of his intentions if they ended up meeting each other in the Ulster Club.  Ronan obviously didn't have any cubs on the Ballinderry team, but he played and won a few championships with the majority of lads he would've been managing against.

You'd have thought that the same things would have been considered when Johnston took the Ballybay job.
Ulster League Champions 2009

J70

Didn't Brian McIvor's son play for Derry against Donegal in the mid-2000s when McIvor was in charge of us?

Maybe club is (literally) closer to home, but it's not unprecedented for family members to be on opposing teams.

I played against my first cousins plenty of times growing up as we lived in neighbouring parishes.

Armagh18

Quote from: Estimator on November 08, 2022, 11:13:27 AM
With reference to the Ronan McGuckin scenario from 2012. It was reported at the time that the conflict of interest – Errigal C playing The Shamrocks – was factored in before he got the job, and that EC were fully aware of his intentions if they ended up meeting each other in the Ulster Club.  Ronan obviously didn't have any cubs on the Ballinderry team, but he played and won a few championships with the majority of lads he would've been managing against.

You'd have thought that the same things would have been considered when Johnston took the Ballybay job.
I don't think it's that big of a deal- he'll shake hands with the Kilcoo lads after the game and would like to think whoever loses will wish the other the best for the next round.