Ulster LGFA shambles..tonights game forfeited by Derry's Steelestown

Started by Lazer, November 02, 2022, 10:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazer

Due to a late venue change when the Derry ladies were already on their way to Cavan, the game was moved to Breffni 3G pitch, but the ladies didn't have the right boots with them to play on that surface (for player safety)

They confirmed with the game ref that metal studs wouldn't be allowed on the pitch so they turned the bus around.

This comes after the controversy when the Ulster Council refused to reschedule the games as Steelestown played on Sunday, and then were expected to play again tonight in a game over 2 hours away and if they won to play again next weekend..3.games in a week despite their own guidance having a minimum recommendation of 5 days between championship games.

Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

RandyDupree

Since when were certain studs not allowed on 3g pitches? This is news to me.   

SaffronSports

Quote from: RandyDupree on November 03, 2022, 12:15:23 AM

I was coaching a soccer team 10 years ago and we trained on a 3g and we weren't allowed studs on it then so definitely not a new thing.

Feel for Steelstown here. Surely the Ulster board knew when the game was called off 2 weeks ago that this was going to cause problems for someone. The late switch of venue and boots issue is just the icing on the cake.

Wildweasel74

U never been allowed metal studs on a 3g pitch and that going bck 20yrs.

thewobbler

I don't know much about the LGFA but I can't help thinking that root cause of this isn't Ulster trying to run its competitions to schedule, but the Derry board not having the discipline (or perhaps the willingness) to run their championships off as part of a bigger picture.

I could be barking up the wrong tree here of course. But if I'm right, then the aggressive anti Ulster Council narrative should be lessened. Of course Ulster could just extend the dates of their competition.... But you know what, their football counterparts would not as frankly it pushes the mess down the line. And at least football own their pitches and can drop big games in at the drop of a hat.

oakleaflad

Quote from: thewobbler on November 03, 2022, 08:28:11 AM
I don't know much about the LGFA but I can't help thinking that root cause of this isn't Ulster trying to run its competitions to schedule, but the Derry board not having the discipline (or perhaps the willingness) to run their championships off as part of a bigger picture.

I could be barking up the wrong tree here of course. But if I'm right, then the aggressive anti Ulster Council narrative should be lessened. Of course Ulster could just extend the dates of their competition.... But you know what, their football counterparts would not as frankly it pushes the mess down the line. And at least football own their pitches and can drop big games in at the drop of a hat.
You are completely wrong. Derry final was played about 6/7 weeks ago.

oakleaflad

Quote from: RandyDupree on November 03, 2022, 12:15:23 AM
Have never been allowed studs on a 3G pitch in my experience. Can actually damage the surface afaik, never mind the potential injury concerns.

trailer

Ladies and Camogie associations are very poorly run. Always have been. Integrating them into the GAA could be a disaster because they won't change. Common sense and good governance is lacking at all levels.

thewobbler

Quote from: oakleaflad on November 03, 2022, 09:21:50 AM

So can you walk me through what's happened here?

Why would Ulster LFGA try to compress their championship into such a short window?

oakleaflad

Quote from: thewobbler on November 03, 2022, 09:31:52 AM

Why would Ulster LFGA try to compress their championship into such a short window?
Steelstown had been due to play their quarter final last Sunday but it was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. Steelstown only found out upon arrival at the pitch.
Quarter final was played on Sunday - Steelstown won.
Semi Final scheduled for last night.
Steelstown request to have semi final put back to this Sunday and push the competition back for work/childcare and player welfare concerns as the final is also scheduled for this Sunday. This request is denied.
Steelstown get on bus to go to Semi Final (roughly 2.5 hours away) yesterday evening only to be told on the way that the game has had a change of venue to a 3G pitch. Players did not have appropriate boots with them. Ulster Ladies secretary had originally said it'd be ok to play with studs only for the ref to then say it wouldn't. Ulster Ladies then asked could someone not gather up appropriate football boots and take them down. (Those travelling had already left). Steelstown left with no choice really but to turn around and head home. They are massively disappointed having trained all year, arranged childcare, rearranged work etc.

*Note* - I am not from Steelstown but the above was an account from someone in the club.

Ulster Ladies seem to have been a complete shambles throughout and the fact the ref threw the ball up and posed for pictures having advised that they couldn't play with the boots they had with them on the bus doesn't sit well with me either. I have no idea why they were trying to run it off so quickly.

Just my two cents but provincial championship matches shouldn't be played midweek or on an artificial surface either in my opinion.

Itchy

Lgfa have been caught with incompetent governance before but I'm not sure what could be done in this case. If I'm a county player I'm bringing both sets of boots to every game. The rain yesterday was horrendous in bursts so a pitch could go from playable to unplayable in 20mins. Derry is 2.5 hrs away. Setting aside the day the game was fixed, what else could be done here?

trailer

Quote from: Itchy on November 03, 2022, 10:15:55 AM
Lgfa have been caught with incompetent governance before but I'm not sure what could be done in this case. If I'm a county player I'm bringing both sets of boots to every game. The rain yesterday was horrendous in bursts so a pitch could go from playable to unplayable in 20mins. Derry is 2.5 hrs away. Setting aside the day the game was fixed, what else could be done here?

They're not county players. And playing a championship game on 3g is unheard of.

yellowcard

Quote from: oakleaflad on November 03, 2022, 09:49:43 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 03, 2022, 09:31:52 AM

Steelstown had been due to play their quarter final last Sunday but it was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. Steelstown only found out upon arrival at the pitch.
Quarter final was played on Sunday - Steelstown won.
Semi Final scheduled for last night.
Steelstown request to have semi final put back to this Sunday and push the competition back for work/childcare and player welfare concerns as the final is also scheduled for this Sunday. This request is denied.
Steelstown get on bus to go to Semi Final (roughly 2.5 hours away) yesterday evening only to be told on the way that the game has had a change of venue to a 3G pitch. Players did not have appropriate boots with them. Ulster Ladies secretary had originally said it'd be ok to play with studs only for the ref to then say it wouldn't. Ulster Ladies then asked could someone not gather up appropriate football boots and take them down. (Those travelling had already left). Steelstown left with no choice really but to turn around and head home. They are massively disappointed having trained all year, arranged childcare, rearranged work etc.

*Note* - I am not from Steelstown but the above was an account from someone in the club.

Ulster Ladies seem to have been a complete shambles throughout and the fact the ref threw the ball up and posed for pictures having advised that they couldn't play with the boots they had with them on the bus doesn't sit well with me either. I have no idea why they were trying to run it off so quickly.

Just my two cents but provincial championship matches shouldn't be played midweek or on an artificial surface either in my opinion.

On the assumption that all of the above is correct, they can definitely feel very aggrieved. There are a few issues that would need addressing. A competition that is played in the autumn/winter should surely allow teams at least 2 weeks between rounds in order to allow for postponements. Start with the Ulster final date and work backwards from there when setting fixture dates. If Derry had their championship finished 6/7 weeks before the competition began then why the prolonged delay in beginning the competition. All counties should be finished up at least 2 and probably 3 weeks before the provincial competition starts to give their clubs a fair chance at provincial success. No team should have to play 3 matches in a week at this level of competition in winter conditions. The midweek game undermines the competition.

It's not the first time a ladies team had an issue sourcing a pitch, I can remember it happening at senior county level for a semi final a few years ago, I think with Cork and Galway. The sooner they affiliate with the GAA the better in order to lessen the pitch issue.

As for the 3G issue, it most definitely isn't reasonable to ask players to wear steel studs on a synthetic 3G surface, that is putting the safety of the players in jeopardy. The Ulster LGFA should come out and explain their rationale and put over their side of the story since we have only heard one side thus far. If Steelstown are correct with their story though, you would think that logic would prevail and the game should be refixed.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Itchy on November 03, 2022, 10:15:55 AM
I think you've answered your own question. This should have been done initially and then nothing else would have been needed.
I do think that they also could have realized the whole thing was a bit of a shambles last night, they put Steelstown in an impossible position and they could have postponed the game.