Which teams have the most county titles in your county ?

Started by seafoid, October 31, 2022, 08:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 02, 2022, 07:29:55 AM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on October 31, 2022, 03:46:40 PM
I noticed bunninadden were 109 years between their first and second (last) championship. In Roscommon, Boyle, had they beaten Strokestown I think would have been 95 since their last...

i wonder was there any clubs waiting longer between club championship wins than Bunninadden...

They had the longest wait. This info thanks to GAA stats on twitter

thanks

just on club teams playing intercounty, St Brigids Roscommon played a few,  I seen them hammer Carlow around 2012/3

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on November 02, 2022, 09:45:47 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on November 02, 2022, 08:05:58 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2022, 09:50:29 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 31, 2022, 04:36:27 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 31, 2022, 04:22:29 PM
Is Strabane a soccer town ?

Of the four main towns in Tyrone, Strabane would likely be regarded by most in the county as definitely being more strongly influenced by soccer than Gaelic games.

Over 13,000 people (2011), over 90% Nationalist/Catholic background, 55% with Irish identity only.
Tyrone Co Board needs to up their game there I would think.
Westport was pretty soccer orientated but has been turned around to become Mayowestros SF Champions.
Would Newry be vastly different. Should Down GAA not be concentrating efforts there. Derry city would've been mentioned similarly
Newry is a bit of a mess. At least one of their clubs should be competing at senior level given the population.
Half of Newry is in Armagh geographically  don't forget ;). Newry city itself would be dominated by soccer, pints and cocaine these days mostly so doesn't leave much time for the GAA. Bosco and Shamrocks would traditionally have fairly good underage teams but the stereotypical town problem of not being able to get them through to senior level applies

Brendan

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 02, 2022, 09:59:29 AM

Of the four main towns in Tyrone, Strabane would likely be regarded by most in the county as definitely being more strongly influenced by soccer than Gaelic games.

Over 13,000 people (2011), over 90% Nationalist/Catholic background, 55% with Irish identity only.
Westport was pretty soccer orientated but has been turned around to become Mayowestros SF Champions.
Would Newry be vastly different. Should Down GAA not be concentrating efforts there. Derry city would've been mentioned similarly
Newry is a bit of a mess. At least one of their clubs should be competing at senior level given the population.
Half of Newry is in Armagh geographically  don't forget ;). Newry city itself would be dominated by soccer, pints and cocaine these days mostly so doesn't leave much time for the GAA. Bosco and Shamrocks would traditionally have fairly good underage teams but the stereotypical town problem of not being able to get them through to senior level applies

Shur everyone has the cocaine problem these days and the pints have always been there

general_lee

True that - the Armagh half only has one club though. Newry doesn't suffer anything other towns of a similar size suffer from, so no real excuse.

full moon

Quote from: Eire90 on November 02, 2022, 06:46:32 AM
Would a club Team from a strong county like Tyrone Dublin Kerry mayo beat the weaker intercounty teams in bottom half division 4 just say.
Teams like Kilmacud probably would beat some. But clubs like that aren't normal clubs they are funded and ran like county teams with a massive membership.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: full moon on November 02, 2022, 02:57:17 PM
Would a club Team from a strong county like Tyrone Dublin Kerry mayo beat the weaker intercounty teams in bottom half division 4 just say.
Teams like Kilmacud probably would beat some. But clubs like that aren't normal clubs they are funded and ran like county teams with a massive membership.

If a county team is at Championship level it will beat the club team at its championship level, teams like Cross could beat a poor county team but only this time of year when the county team is in preseason
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Truth hurts

Quote from: Brendan on November 02, 2022, 01:05:44 PM

Shur everyone has the cocaine problem these days and the pints have always been there

Ballyholland relegated to div 2 so them and Shamrocks will be a good derby next year. But Newry should get more divison 1 clubs but i expect Ballyholland to get back up soon as they are getting serious numbers at underage .

Bosco are alway great at underage but they cannot get them through, very sad that.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 02, 2022, 07:29:55 AM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on October 31, 2022, 03:46:40 PM
I noticed bunninadden were 109 years between their first and second (last) championship. In Roscommon, Boyle, had they beaten Strokestown I think would have been 95 since their last...

i wonder was there any clubs waiting longer between club championship wins than Bunninadden...

They had the longest wait. This info thanks to GAA stats on twitter

Funny thing about that Bunninadden win is that the team they beat with a last gasp goal, Coolera, would themselves have ended a 93 year wait had they held on. Their time eventually came in 2005. For a small club that Bunninadden were able to compete and win a senior title was fair going. Those days when other teams actually won our county title were rather nice looking back on it now.

On the hurling side Bruree in Limerick had a gap of 113 years between their two wins when they won it around 2005/6.

Itchy

I actually don't think they would. Having gone to Div4 matches this yr for first time ever the standard is higher than you might expect.

seafoid

In Galway there is a top 4

25  Tuam Shtars
21 Corofin
20 St Grellans Ballinasloe
15 Dunmore McHales

Dunmore, Tuam and St Grellans would have provided most of the All Ireland winners pre 1998. Tuam, Dunmore and Corofin are in north Galway.

St Grellans last county title was in 1980. Tuam's last win was in 1994.
Dunmore's was in 1983. Dunmore would be associated with the Donnellans who have 3 generations of all Ireland medals

Corofin emerged as a force in 1998 when they won the club all Ireland. Since then they have won around 15 county titles.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Is it population/economic issues that has moved the strong football centre away from the old North Galway strongholds?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2022, 10:43:39 AM
Is it population/economic issues that has moved the strong football centre away from the old North Galway strongholds?
I think it's definitely relevant.
Tuam,  Dunmore and Ballinasloe declined economically in the 80s.
Corofin is really well organised.
You could probably analyse it by distance to Galway.
What really stands out in recent years is the dominance of Corofin. It is is Crossmaglenesque. They are both superclubs capable of winning the all Ireland repeatedly.
When you have that very few other clubs can thrive. Corofin basically drive the Connacht numbers.  Crossmaglen drive the Ulster numbers. The winning culture goes very deep.

The county team even in 98 had a decent representation from west of the Corrib. This year in the final there were 5 .

Duine Eile

Quote from: seafoid on November 06, 2022, 10:32:01 AM
In Galway there is a top 4

25  Tuam Shtars
21 Corofin
20 St Grellans Ballinasloe
15 Dunmore McHales

Dunmore, Tuam and St Grellans would have provided most of the All Ireland winners pre 1998. Tuam, Dunmore and Corofin are in north Galway.

St Grellans last county title was in 1980. Tuam's last win was in 1994.
Dunmore's was in 1983. Dunmore would be associated with the Donnellans who have 3 generations of all Ireland medals

Corofin emerged as a force in 1998 when they won the club all Ireland. Since then they have won around 15 county titles.

I'd argue that Corofin began to emerge as a force within Galway from the early 90s, after 98 they started to make a name for themselves on the provincial circuit.

Population only does a certain amount for a club in my opinion, of course it helps but if you look at the likes of Salthill Knocknacarra, they've always had the numbers but never the domination expected. The same will be true of Claregalway I think, they have huge underage success the last while but it remains to be seen if they turn it into senior success. Oranmore is another area where the population has exploded recently, they're making good strides with their minors this year in both hurling and football.  Moycullen are in the spotlight at the moment, much like Corofin of the last few years they have a core group of excellent footballers in the Kellys, Peter Cooke, David Wynne  etc but their location has also helped along with the coaching connections that they have. It's well documented that Don Connellan coaxed Owen Gallagher to join the club, Tom Clarke and Niall Walsh are also outsiders that have joined in recent years. They are a progressive club though, they have the right people in charge, Paul Clancy seems to be an excellent chairman and their underage is going really well. Population certainly helps but you need the structures and right people running the show. Tuam Stars have a huge population base, there's schools in every corner of the town but in my opinion anyway they're not making the most out of it.

seafoid

I think Kerry is the most interesting one
In the early years of the GAA the dominant team in kerry was Tralee John Mitchel's, the only team in Tralee.  In 1927 the team was broken into 3 for competition purposes- Mitchels, Austin Stacks and Kerins O'Rahillys. Kerry also has teams amalgamated from a few parishes, called Divisional teams, which also boost competitiveness.  What you end up with is a fair spread of competitiveness across the county. And that is what you need to win  all Irelands.

The top 7 teams have between 9 and 13 titles.
Very different to the Cross model. If Cross are weak Armagh probably won't come up with a replacement.

rosnarun

Much of the mayo imbalce is historical as ballina and castlebar completely dominated uptill anbout 1960.
Gtrat to see a new name on the moclair cup this year  as ballintuuber 2010 was the last one and it was 1990 before that

1      Ballina Stephenites"   36
2      Castlebar Mitchels   31
3      Knockmore   10
4      Crossmolina Deel Rovers   7
5      Garrymore   6
6      Ballintubber   5
7      Claremorris   4
8      Hollymount   3
      Ballycastle   3
      Charlestown Sarsfields   3
      Ballaghaderreen   3
12      East Mayo   2