Which teams have the most county titles in your county ?

Started by seafoid, October 31, 2022, 08:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PadraicHenryPearse

I noticed bunninadden were 109 years between their first and second (last) championship. In Roscommon, Boyle, had they beaten Strokestown I think would have been 95 since their last...

i wonder was there any clubs waiting longer between club championship wins than Bunninadden...

seafoid

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 31, 2022, 04:00:24 PM
Tyrone Senior Football Championship

15 - Carrickmore
11 - Dungannon
10 - Coalisland
9 - Omagh
8 - Clonoe, Trillick & Errigal Ciaran
7 - Ardboe
4 - Moortown & Dromore
3 - Augher
2 - Killyclogher, Derrylaughan, Stewartstown, Strabane, Cookstown & Fintona
1 - Eglish, Donaghmore & Moy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrone_Senior_Football_Championship

Things to notice...

* Though Dungannon are second on the list, they've only won one title since 1956 (the infamous 2020 run where they failed to win any tie in normal time).

* No team has managed to win more than three successive senior football championships, the last being Carrickmore's run in 1977-79.

* Ardboe's wins came in the 60's 70's 80's & 90's, but failed to win a title in the 2000's to continue that streak and failed to win any in the 2010's either.

* Biggest gap between two SFC wins is 42 years for Moortown (1950 & their final one in 1992), though Stewartstown (38 years, 1924 & 1962) and Trillick (37 years, 1937 & 1974) both come close.

* Dromore are the youngest team to have won their first SFC title, doing so in 2007. Killyclogher are next at 2003.

* On the above list, the only clubs that competed in this year's Tyrone SFC that have never previously won it was Loughmacrory & Greencastle. Of the remainder on this list, two competed in this year's IFC and four in the JFC (excluding thirds teams).
Is Strabane a soccer town ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 31, 2022, 02:58:07 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 31, 2022, 02:50:42 PM
Quote from: toby47 on October 31, 2022, 02:38:36 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 31, 2022, 02:10:50 PM
Ehmmm gonna hazard a guess at Cross by a fair bit, although Clann Na Gael and Armagh Harps have won a fair few between them.

Crossmaglen Rangers   46   
Armagh Harps   21   
Clan na Gael   14   
Armagh Young Irelands   7   
Keady Dwyer's   4   
St Patrick's Carrickcruppen   4   
Pearse Óg GAC   4   
Killeavy St Monnina's   3
Bessbrook Geraldines / An Sruthán   3
Clann Éireann   3

What is the equivalent club to Geraldine's nowadays?
Don't think I've heard of them before but presumably Carrickcruppen or Shane O'Neills

Wouldn't be an equivalent really. Craobh Rua hurling would be the closest I guess.

The figures above are slightly wrong. The Young Irelanders wins should be included in the Armagh Harps 21. A bit of double counting there, though Clans men would argue they shouldn't be included at all and should stand alone! 

Big Hertz has 19 counties, 11 Ulster's and 6 AIs so is likely to be the stand alone medal winner for many years. Oisin only has 16 counties and 10 Ulster's. Aaron might catch Hertz for counties but would need a 3 in a row to catch him in Ulsters and AIs. Not likely to happen.

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 31, 2022, 04:29:28 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 31, 2022, 02:58:07 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 31, 2022, 02:50:42 PM
Quote from: toby47 on October 31, 2022, 02:38:36 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 31, 2022, 02:10:50 PM
Ehmmm gonna hazard a guess at Cross by a fair bit, although Clann Na Gael and Armagh Harps have won a fair few between them.

Crossmaglen Rangers   46   
Armagh Harps   21   
Clan na Gael   14   
Armagh Young Irelands   7   
Keady Dwyer's   4   
St Patrick's Carrickcruppen   4   
Pearse Óg GAC   4   
Killeavy St Monnina's   3
Bessbrook Geraldines / An Sruthán   3
Clann Éireann   3

What is the equivalent club to Geraldine's nowadays?
Don't think I've heard of them before but presumably Carrickcruppen or Shane O'Neills

Wouldn't be an equivalent really. Craobh Rua hurling would be the closest I guess.

The figures above are slightly wrong. The Young Irelanders wins should be included in the Armagh Harps 21. A bit of double counting there, though Clans men would argue they shouldn't be included at all and should stand alone! 

Big Hertz has 19 counties, 11 Ulster's and 6 AIs so is likely to be the stand alone medal winner for many years. Oisin only has 16 counties and 10 Ulster's. Aaron might catch Hertz for counties but would need a 3 in a row to catch him in Ulsters and AIs. Not likely to happen.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-crossmaglen-rangers-a-gaa-community-that-stood-up-to-the-british-34555608.html Oisín: Wasn't it great to stick the two fingers up to them and say regardless what you do, you can land your helicopters on our pitch, you can build your barracks on top of us, you can throw our clothes and our bags out on the street when you search our cars on the way to training. . . Wasn't it great to say to them, 'But f**k youse, we're gonna win an All-Ireland anyway.'

Rossfan

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 31, 2022, 04:36:27 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 31, 2022, 04:22:29 PM

Of the four main towns in Tyrone, Strabane would likely be regarded by most in the county as definitely being more strongly influenced by soccer than Gaelic games.

Over 13,000 people (2011), over 90% Nationalist/Catholic background, 55% with Irish identity only.
Tyrone Co Board needs to up their game there I would think.
Westport was pretty soccer orientated but has been turned around to become Mayowestros SF Champions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Cornafean in Cavan have most senior titles with 20 but their last was in 1956. Back then there was a rule to play for Cavan you had to play with a senior club so they hoovered up players from miles around. When that rule went the reds went backwards fast and while intermediate now, they were always junior when I played.

thebuzz

No mention of Nemo Rangers. I take it they would be the most successful club in Cork?

Eire90

Would a club Team from a strong county like Tyrone Dublin Kerry mayo beat the weaker intercounty teams in bottom half division 4 just say.

Blowitupref

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on October 31, 2022, 03:46:40 PM
I noticed bunninadden were 109 years between their first and second (last) championship. In Roscommon, Boyle, had they beaten Strokestown I think would have been 95 since their last...

i wonder was there any clubs waiting longer between club championship wins than Bunninadden...

They had the longest wait. This info thanks to GAA stats on twitter

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Eire90 on November 02, 2022, 06:46:32 AM
Would a club Team from a strong county like Tyrone Dublin Kerry mayo beat the weaker intercounty teams in bottom half division 4 just say.

Would suspect so with Dublin, but not necessarily the other teams. Kerry very much dominated by divisional teams. Mayo, not so sure anymore. Kilcoo, Glen probably would.

I remember when I was playing we would regularly play county senior and u21 teams. Would regularly have played the likes of Monaghan, Louth and the like. We drew with Kildare one year when they were under Micko and they had a strong team out that day, Glen Ryan, Rainbow, Martin Lynch, Buckley and a few others. They were in pre-season and we were at full tilt but that was round the time they made the AI final so we were well chuffed. I'd suspect Corofin were doing that as well at their peak. 

snoopdog

Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2022, 09:50:29 AM

Of the four main towns in Tyrone, Strabane would likely be regarded by most in the county as definitely being more strongly influenced by soccer than Gaelic games.

Over 13,000 people (2011), over 90% Nationalist/Catholic background, 55% with Irish identity only.
Westport was pretty soccer orientated but has been turned around to become Mayowestros SF Champions.
Would Newry be vastly different. Should Down GAA not be concentrating efforts there. Derry city would've been mentioned similarly

general_lee

Quote from: snoopdog on November 02, 2022, 08:05:58 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2022, 09:50:29 AM

Would Newry be vastly different. Should Down GAA not be concentrating efforts there. Derry city would've been mentioned similarly
Newry is a bit of a mess. At least one of their clubs should be competing at senior level given the population.

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on November 02, 2022, 06:46:32 AM
lol.

Interesting question, I reckon the Cross team in it's heyday would have beaten a fair few county teams. Some of the top Dublin teams today would surely beat a lot of the lower divison 3/4 teams, not too many teams would fare well against a fit Mannion and Walsh.