Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InnocentByStander

Quote from: ClubScene13 on September 13, 2023, 11:46:41 AM
Errigal Ciaran gave Glen a good rattle last year, if they make it out of the Tyrone minefield they would be hard put away. Few key injuries however.

I would also expect Burren to go well if they could overcome Kilcoo (obviously a massive initial hurdle). Is Murdock gonna play much more GAA this season?

I can't see how Glen aren't waiting in the Ulster final anyhow. Some team.

In intermediate, I think the two best teams will meet in the first round. Whoever the Tyrone champions are v St Pat's Cullyhanna

Clonoe, too good to be an Intermediate team wouldnt be shocked if they go the full way

bennydorano

Errigal Ciaran gave Glen a good rattle last year, if they make it out of the Tyrone minefield they would be hard put away. Few key injuries however.

I would also expect Burren to go well if they could overcome Kilcoo (obviously a massive initial hurdle). Is Murdock gonna play much more GAA this season?

In intermediate, I think the two best teams will meet in the first round. Whoever the Tyrone champions are v St Pat's Cullyhanna
Have been thinking for a while Cullyhanna are bound to be thinking bigger than Armagh, but it wouldn't surprise you if they get complacent and get chinned in Armagh either. Like Clonoe they're not really an Intermediate team, being denied their county players for the past couple of leagues screwed them over.

ClubScene13

Quote from: bennydorano on September 13, 2023, 12:38:54 PM

Have been thinking for a while Cullyhanna are bound to be thinking bigger than Armagh, but it wouldn't surprise you if they get complacent and get chinned in Armagh either. Like Clonoe they're not really an Intermediate team, being denied their county players for the past couple of leagues screwed them over.

I'd say both of these clubs had it in the back of their head from they got relegated. Aghyaran, Moy, Pomeroy all fully capable of winning Tyrone intermediate also. They'd all be decent and the knockout element would come into it as well. I would make the bold early prediction the winner of Tyrone / Armagh game in intermediate could end up in Croker, some strong senior level players will be facing off in that 1st round game.

Ed Ricketts

Cullyhanna were intermediate about a decade ago and people were also on about them winning an Ulster title at the time. They won Armagh, and then they were well beaten in the Ulster first round by some unremarkable team from Derry.

It's been over a decade since an Armagh intermediate representative even won a game in Ulster, never mind challenged for the title. That won't change this year. We routinely underestimate just how far off the pace the Armagh intermediate (and junior) clubs are at Ulster level. In reality, most of the senior clubs in the county would struggle to win an Ulster intermediate title.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

statto

Armaghs record at intermediate in the ulster club would suggest otherwise. 

ClubScene13

It is a fair point but with their lengthy stint in senior only ending last year and the county power they have they're not the typical intermediate team in Armagh. I suppose 3 county men isn't everything if you are severely lacking in other areas. It's a bit of a lottery most years the intermediate and junior in Ulster

Truth hurts

Kilcoo /Glenn final with a Kilcoo win this time.

Silver hill

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 13, 2023, 07:44:56 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on September 13, 2023, 02:29:25 AM
hopefully not we dont want club turning into intercounty football with a few teams winning

Aye 'cos Kilcoo (population < 2,000) and Glen (population <10,000) are two obvious behemoths that are dominating their poor wee competitors who have no hope of ever competing against parishes and clubs of that size.  ???

Its not a parallel with Dublin (having approximately 20% of the island's population).

Completely get the point you are making but for the record, population of Maghera at the last census in 2021 was c4000 people.

Taylor

Quote from: InnocentByStander on September 13, 2023, 12:13:48 PM

Clonoe, too good to be an Intermediate team wouldnt be shocked if they go the full way

Whoever beats Clonoe will win Ulster. They would give many senior teams a run for their money

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on September 14, 2023, 08:24:06 AM

Whoever beats Clonoe will win Ulster. They would give many senior teams a run for their money

Except senior teams in Tyrone?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 13, 2023, 02:28:31 PM
Cullyhanna were intermediate about a decade ago and people were also on about them winning an Ulster title at the time. They won Armagh, and then they were well beaten in the Ulster first round by some unremarkable team from Derry.

It's been over a decade since an Armagh intermediate representative even won a game in Ulster, never mind challenged for the title. That won't change this year. We routinely underestimate just how far off the pace the Armagh intermediate (and junior) clubs are at Ulster level. In reality, most of the senior clubs in the county would struggle to win an Ulster intermediate title.
I'd echo this (somewhat). Cullyhanna didn't even win the Intermediate A league this year, succumbing to 4 defeats including a 1 pt defeat at home to St Paul's who had a stag that weekend. So they're not even guaranteed senior football next year, unless they win the championship. With plenty of banana skins, this isn't a forgone conclusion.

That said, I don't think Armagh teams are that far off. Shane O'Neill's (who were completely out of their depth in Armagh senior football league & championship this year) were beat by 1 pt by the Ulster finalists, who are currently undefeated in the Monaghan SFC.

square_ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2023, 08:41:30 AM

Got to the semi final of the Tyrone championship last season.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: square_ball on September 14, 2023, 10:31:01 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2023, 08:41:30 AM

Got to the semi final of the Tyrone championship last season.

Then relegated ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 14, 2023, 10:42:36 AM
Ahem.

I present you Dunloy.....

Dunloy can play Junior Championship next year, probably still get beat by the Kerry champions

So relegated, and can only play intermediate as Tyrone only allow division 1 teams play senior? Unlike Antrim a club can pick whether it wants to play senior

OakLeaf

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 14, 2023, 10:48:57 AM
I was just pointing out how Dunloy couldn't beat intermediate tems in the league (and got relegated to Div 3) but were more than able for senior teams come championship.

Probably a lot to do with the fact that the Dunloy hurlers weren't allowed to play in the football league, but they are in the Championship. I think there are 8 or 9 starters from the hurlers.