Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PMG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2023, 06:20:15 PM
Quote from: Moonshine on January 08, 2023, 04:54:33 PM
What porter do today. Glen should of won that game by more

Porter
Probably pointed out how Gough was being very sore on Glen I imagine and it didn't go down well. Gough is prob the best ref in the country but seemed to take a dislike to Glen today for some reason and gave a few dodgy decisions in the Galway direction

God14

Gough was the best in the business up until about 3 years ago

Al about 'me' these days

Horrible ref, how he reffed the NFL game in the athletic grounds last year (Arm v Tyr) was borderline narcissistic.

Armagh18

Quote from: God14 on January 08, 2023, 08:13:16 PM
Gough was the best in the business up until about 3 years ago

Al about 'me' these days

Horrible ref, how he reffed the NFL game in the athletic grounds last year (Arm v Tyr) was borderline narcissistic.
Only good game he ever had ;). Na in all seriousness he should never have been allowed back after that shitshow.

seafoid

It's hard to know.

1. One way of looking it is as the debutant at this level playing the team who had been here and done it before. The naivety factor.
2. Another is the traditional apprenticeship followed by Kilcoo and Kilmacud . Lose one to get the experience and win the following year. But they might not get out of Ulster again.
3.But other teams have won at the first attempt eg Caltra. Could be the momentum
4. This would require Kilmacud to arse it up.
5.  Malachy O'Rourke is a class act. In-game management will be very important.

yellowcard

It looks like Gough has got a bit carried away with his 'celebrity' status. The best referees are often the ones you don't notice on the pitch. His performances have increasingly been more about himself than about the players on the pitch.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on January 09, 2023, 10:12:21 AM
It looks like Gough has got a bit carried away with his 'celebrity' status. The best referees are often the ones you don't notice on the pitch. His performances have increasingly been more about himself than about the players on the pitch.

I've always been intrigued by this comment of "all about me" Explain that for me?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 09, 2023, 10:28:42 AM

I've always been intrigued by this comment of "all about me" Explain that for me?

A ref who wants to be involved in the game. A good ref should be happy to let a game play and if it's a fair game, have little involvement in the game.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tbrick18

I personally thought the ref was very sore on Glen.
Glen the better side overall, that first 15 mins were sublime.
However, they almost conspired to beat themselves with the faffing around in defence on some of the kickouts in the second half.
They did get cleaned out at MF for long spells of the game but defence was really strong and the transition from defence to attack was generally impressive.
They will be very hard to beat, though, you still have to fancy Kilmacud as they have the experience. Just.
The press on the the Glen kickouts is probably a tactic that will be re-used in the final, so it will be interesting to see how MOR counteracts that.
Good game though.

thewobbler

From my perspective the "all about me" referees put less value on consistency and the application of rules, and focus instead on context. So they'll weight how they wave cards according to the player and teams involved, and the current score line. So they'll ignore or highlight off the ball stuff to help ensure a team doesn't pull away. So one team can commit anything up to GBH in pursuit of a comeback, but the other gets blown up for everything.

It a natural enough thing for a human to do I suppose. But it's wrong.

I don't mind it (indeed I prefer it) when refs have a liberal interpretation of the rule book. I like to watch hard hitting football. But it has to be allowed to play equally hard in both direction.

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2023, 09:13:32 AM
It's hard to know.

1. One way of looking it is as the debutant at this level playing the team who had been here and done it before. The naivety factor.
2. Another is the traditional apprenticeship followed by Kilcoo and Kilmacud . Lose one to get the experience and win the following year. But they might not get out of Ulster again.
3.But other teams have won at the first attempt eg Caltra. Could be the momentum
4. This would require Kilmacud to arse it up.
5.  Malachy O'Rourke is a class act. In-game management will be very important.

they arsed it up last year

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 09, 2023, 10:33:46 AM

A ref who wants to be involved in the game. A good ref should be happy to let a game play and if it's a fair game, have little involvement in the game.

Ah letting the game flow? Then what about all the fouls....

And that's a big IF its a fair game, these are high stakes games, they ain't your under 12 game down at the pitch, every player is there to stretch the rules as much as they can to get an advantage, you have played I assume and from that you would have stretched the rules and therefore tried to gain any advantage you could get, Unfortunately the ref will apply the rules as he see's it. sometimes they get it wrong.

I noticed yesterday from Glen there was a few times the ball was moved to a better position, due to mouthing to the ref, and the ref also, it seemed had to send someone from Glen to the stands.. If someone or a collective is constantly mouthing its very difficult to control, yesterdays game will have brought an intensity to it, though a lot less than the Ulster final which was crazy at times.

All in all I didn't think he 'kept' MC in the game, the frees that were given away may have seem soft but stop pulling tops

And yes he didn't give certain frees that I seen with the camera angle we had, only he knows why that call wasn't give, and its not to have  everyone talking about him, they guy goes to work the next day, listening to people run you down isn't a good feeling, you'd need to be twisted to have that as something you get off on

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 09, 2023, 10:47:54 AM

And that's a big IF its a fair game, these are high stakes games, they ain't your under 12 game down at the pitch, every player is there to stretch the rules as much as they can to get an advantage, you have played I assume and from that you would have stretched the rules and therefore tried to gain any advantage you could get, Unfortunately the ref will apply the rules as he see's it. sometimes they get it wrong.

I noticed yesterday from Glen there was a few times the ball was moved to a better position, due to mouthing to the ref, and the ref also, it seemed had to send someone from Glen to the stands.. If someone or a collective is constantly mouthing its very difficult to control, yesterdays game will have brought an intensity to it, though a lot less than the Ulster final which was crazy at times.

All in all I didn't think he 'kept' MC in the game, the frees that were given away may have seem soft but stop pulling tops

And yes he didn't give certain frees that I seen with the camera angle we had, only he knows why that call wasn't give, and its not to have  everyone talking about him, they guy goes to work the next day, listening to people run you down isn't a good feeling, you'd need to be twisted to have that as something you get off on
Sure you need to be twisted altogether to be a ref in the first place ;). Ah look at the end of the day he's human and is looking at it live, we could watch something here from 5 angles 5 times each and in slow motion and still not agree on a call. All we can ask is consistency.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on January 09, 2023, 10:39:26 AM

From my perspective the "all about me" referees put less value on consistency and the application of rules, and focus instead on context. So they'll weight how they wave cards according to the player and teams involved, and the current score line. So they'll ignore or highlight off the ball stuff to help ensure a team doesn't pull away. So one team can commit anything up to GBH in pursuit of a comeback, but the other gets blown up for everything.

It a natural enough thing for a human to do I suppose. But it's wrong.

I don't mind it (indeed I prefer it) when refs have a liberal interpretation of the rule book. I like to watch hard hitting football. But it has to be allowed to play equally hard in both direction.

This is make believe stuff, so you actually think a ref goes out there to control the scoreline to have a tight finish and actually a harder game to manage?

Ok here's the reality, a referee wants to go out there and for one team to be so far in front that he has no worries on, extra time 'dodgy' calls that may swing the game, heated exchanges over every tackle and disputing every decision? 

but have it tight because that's the natural thing to do? Wow that is some strange call

Then you go on and want a more liberal approach were players can blatter each other but as long as both teams get a crack at it then play on?

For starters it aint the 70's, these games are watched on tv/social media and the lads that do the games are assessed during the game by someone in the stands, anything that he missed will not have been missed by the assessors, he'll be emailed a report and he'll have to reflect on that afterwards. accountability is there, its down to the chair or the refs to review these things an appoint refs there after. This is want I assume happens btw

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 09, 2023, 10:47:54 AM

I never said don't call frees? Call the frees consistently.  But if there is few and game is flowing be happy you're not involved. Don't lower the threshold for a foul just so you can blow your whistle. I get it that you're a ref, and take criticism of refs personally on here. Maybe you feel there's no such thing as a ref that loves to have an impact on a game. I'd disagree.

*And I don't mean in an underhand way supporting one team over the other, but rather a need to be over involved.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit