Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2022, 06:41:13 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 12, 2022, 06:08:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2022, 05:57:55 PM
If you are managing a team or a player and lost a player/teammate to a black card you'll expect players to take the piss, the ref is not a doctor, I'll take my advice from the medic.

The rule needs changing, it's being abused.

For me watching it on tv, there was numerous cards that should have been handed out, on both to be fair.

Hurson I think called the black card for the Kilcoo player, so all sorts were going on behind the ref's back.

Impossible game to ref

Yes, the time wasting during the black card is definitely a fault with the rule. Why the GAA have not introduced a stop clock to take time keeping away from the referee is beyond me at this stage. It would instantly prevent this infuriating tactic. That wasn't McQuillans fault since you can't prove that a player is feigning injury even if it became obvious that is what was happening. 

However McQuillan is well known for constantly trying to even up his decisions during the course of a match. The Kilcoo penalty was not conclusively inside the box and it was similar to the Harry Kane one the previous night where you could argue the toss as to whether it was in or outside the box. I felt McQuillan would give it though shortly after black carding Devlin. Ward also benefited from McQuillans tendency to even things up. He got away with one on Mulholland before then feigning injury after he knew he could be in trouble.

It was a tough game to referee but most people would have predicted this before the match. There was no love lost between the 2 sides which made it an enthralling match in many respects.

For the penalty he consulted his umpires, it was on their direction that put the foul inside the box,

Given the fact that the referee isn't mic'd up we don't really know what they said to him. Even if they did tell him that it was inside the box they would have seen it once in real time so they couldn't be sure when even slowed down replays proved inconclusive. But we know that most umpires are really just there helping out their mate and for the post match feed and a few pints anyway!

SHEEDY

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 12, 2022, 06:43:35 PM
You talk some dung Sheedy
I've never seen a winning team yap so much about a ref and the opposition. Enjoy the win ffs.

Though speaking about dung you're an expert in that 👌
nil satis nisi optimum

yellowcard

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 12, 2022, 06:37:56 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on December 12, 2022, 06:25:27 PM
Quote from: downtothecore on December 12, 2022, 05:45:18 PM
Kilcoo are no saints but some things I noticed just to level up
Warnock persistent holding and dragging of devlin but devlin gets black card.

Glenn lad was allowed to run across the eyeline of the kilcoo caretaker twice but nothing done by ref.

Glenn manager threw a second ball onto the field of play in the second half when kilcoo were on attack.

Jerome j taken out in mid air on 15 mins by Bradley also.
that was as dangerous as the pull down on Glass

Those 2 incidents are not comparable. I'm assuming by 'pull down' you mean the deliberate clawing of his face by Wards hand/fingers. I don't know what the punishment is for such an offence by the rulebook but it is a filthy act to interfere with an opponents nose/eye. The Bradley tackle was late but it was at least a legitimate attempt to play the ball by Bradley even though he was late. It looked worse since Johnstones 2 feet were off the ground at the time and the damage was caused by the way he fell rather than the actual impact from Bradley. Dangerous but a yellow card for a mistimed tackle was correct. You're comparing apples with oranges here by equating those 2 incidents.   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on December 12, 2022, 06:51:25 PM
If you are managing a team or a player and lost a player/teammate to a black card you'll expect players to take the piss, the ref is not a doctor, I'll take my advice from the medic.

For me watching it on tv, there was numerous cards that should have been handed out, on both to be fair.

Hurson I think called the black card for the Kilcoo player, so all sorts were going on behind the ref's back.

Impossible game to ref

Yes, the time wasting during the black card is definitely a fault with the rule. Why the GAA have not introduced a stop clock to take time keeping away from the referee is beyond me at this stage. It would instantly prevent this infuriating tactic. That wasn't McQuillans fault since you can't prove that a player is feigning injury even if it became obvious that is what was happening. 

However McQuillan is well known for constantly trying to even up his decisions during the course of a match. The Kilcoo penalty was not conclusively inside the box and it was similar to the Harry Kane one the previous night where you could argue the toss as to whether it was in or outside the box. I felt McQuillan would give it though shortly after black carding Devlin. Ward also benefited from McQuillans tendency to even things up. He got away with one on Mulholland before then feigning injury after he knew he could be in trouble.

It was a tough game to referee but most people would have predicted this before the match. There was no love lost between the 2 sides which made it an enthralling match in many respects.

For the penalty he consulted his umpires, it was on their direction that put the foul inside the box,

Given the fact that the referee isn't mic'd up we don't really know what they said to him. Even if they did tell him that it was inside the box they would have seen it once in real time so they couldn't be sure when even slowed down replays proved inconclusive. But we know that most umpires are really just there helping out their mate and for the post match feed and a few pints anyway!

Eh? Are you trying to be funny or is this actually an honest opinion of what you think?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2022, 06:58:11 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 12, 2022, 06:51:25 PM

Impossible game to ref

Eh? Are you trying to be funny or is this actually an honest opinion of what you think?

Which bit? The last sentence was a bit of sarcasm thrown in!

downtothecore

Oh forgot about conor glass shoving Daryl brannigan in face in second half. This was surprising as he sounded like a saint in twitter interview after it.

Good luck in Ai semi....

Milltown Row2

He was mic'd up from what I seen.. do with multiple watches on tv it's still inconclusive to you but the umpires are actually watching it, ref blew whistle and didn't give decision till he spoke to the umpires.

Believe it or not there actually is an umpire course, which helps them make the calls
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2022, 07:08:14 PM
He was mic'd up from what I seen.. do with multiple watches on tv it's still inconclusive to you but the umpires are actually watching it, ref blew whistle and didn't give decision till he spoke to the umpires.

Believe it or not there actually is an umpire course, which helps them make the calls

I meant mic'd up for TV purposes a la rugby. I'm sure McQuillan was communicating with his officials during the match but no amount of classroom hours would have helped the umpires call that penalty decision conclusively from seeing it once in real time. Nor would I apportion any blame since you could argue the toss on the decision all day long.   

Walter Cronc

Quote from: downtothecore on December 12, 2022, 07:05:03 PM
Oh forgot about conor glass shoving Daryl brannigan in face in second half. This was surprising as he sounded like a saint in twitter interview after it.

Good luck in Ai semi....

In the face..haha riiiiiight

AustinPowers

Is it not time to extend the  black card /sin bin to 15 minutes?  10 minutes is a farce. A goalkeeper tying his laces could eat up  2 or 3 minutes

15 minutes is a quarter of a club game . It's more of a punishment than 10 minutes

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on December 12, 2022, 07:19:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2022, 07:08:14 PM

I meant mic'd up for TV purposes a la rugby. I'm sure McQuillan was communicating with his officials during the match but no amount of classroom hours would have helped the umpires call that penalty decision conclusively from seeing it once in real time. Nor would I apportion any blame since you could argue the toss on the decision all day long.   

So you want it mic's up to the camera/tv then have replays like TMO's

They either said he was in the box or not, if not, it's a free if it was it was a penalty, I'm struggling with your make believe refereeing and actual refereeing

Wildweasel74

Think that's the 8th Club from Derry to win an Ulster title, had gone through a bit of a barren spell when Cross were so strong, some good Derry club teams lost out.

Wildweasel74

Don't know about whether it a penalty or not, haven't looked bck on it, but it was a very silly tackle by Dougan.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 12, 2022, 08:16:43 PM
Don't know about whether it a penalty or not, haven't looked bck on it, but it was a very silly tackle by Dougan.

It was and could have been the turning point but Glen would have found a way as they just had the upper hand for most part of the game

Kidder81

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 12, 2022, 08:16:43 PM

I watched the replays a few times and it looked to be outside with the Kilcoo player falling into the square, the umpires couldnt have looked at it with any certainty and said it was a penalty