Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 12, 2022, 01:27:11 PM
I'll be honest but Kilcoo are no different to many teams in that they sail close to the wind. I'm sure they give the verbals plenty but that's been going on since God was a gassun. We did it and we received it. Your mother, your sister, ye Brit so and so,  the usual. You just get in with it.

Was talking with a few of us older players there recently and we talked about how we get friendlier with ex opponents the further away you go from your playing days. When you meet lads now at under age blitz's and the like who you'd have bate the head off on the field it's all history. I'd like to think that will always be the case. Toe to toe on the field but pint by pint in the club.

Mentioning dead people is over the line

yellowcard

I think its too simplistic to say that all teams employ the dark arts. It's fairly obvious to me that some are worse than others and it can be quite easily stopped by management. It's also a fallacy to say that you need to go down that route to gain an edge or to win. I'd say the majority of players play within the rules but some will always over step the mark. Quite often its the inferior player who needs to try and drag the game down to a physical or verbaL battle since they know that they will come off second best in a footballing contest. That is what happened with Ward and Glass yesterday imo. Ward knew he couldn't match Glass on a footballing level and therefore resorted to sledging and dirty tricks. Kilcoo have built up a history of foul tactics and it wasn't earned overnight. That is not to say they don't have some players who don't engage in these tactics, its too easy to tar everyone with the one brush. There is lots to admire about what they have achieved as a club but they have pushed the boundaries on plenty of occasions along the way.

I've heard stories about players who have researched girlfriends and sisters details prior to Ulster club matches and used it to bait opponents in order to try and gain an edge. When you have to resort to that sort of stuff I don't think players should just suck it up as being part of the game.   

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 12, 2022, 01:32:12 PM
I'll be honest but Kilcoo are no different to many teams in that they sail close to the wind. I'm sure they give the verbals plenty but that's been going on since God was a gassun. We did it and we received it. Your mother, your sister, ye Brit so and so,  the usual. You just get in with it.

Was talking with a few of us older players there recently and we talked about how we get friendlier with ex opponents the further away you go from your playing days. When you meet lads now at under age blitz's and the like who you'd have bate the head off on the field it's all history. I'd like to think that will always be the case. Toe to toe on the field but pint by pint in the club.

Agreed.

Sportacus

Quote from: thewobbler on December 12, 2022, 12:54:37 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on December 12, 2022, 12:41:40 PM
Reading this thread you'd think Kilcoo are the first team to sail close to the wind regarding challenges and verbals. All successful teams, club or county have players that play on the edge, you win nothing by being nice guys.

Tyrone, Armagh, Crossmaglen had plenty of players who could mix it, loved by their own, hated by everyone else. Kilcoo and Glen and every other successful club team have plenty of players who are experts in the dark arts, reading this you'd get the impression it's a new thing we're witnessing.

It's not that is a new thing, more that Kilcoo are extremely blatant about it. Their collective understanding  and willingness for just how far the rules of the game can be bent in your favour, is unparalleled.
Collective, but also specifically you had a thug running around for the whole of the first half intent on injuring opponents with Judas hits.  If you are equivocal about that then you're in the wrong sport.

grounded

I'm sure if you re-read the Armagh - Galway AIQF thread you will see a lot of similar comments as this one.
      In any event Glen were a far better team in every respect. Physically they dominated Kilcoo and were Just a better footballing side. That's the biggest sickener for Kilcoo. Glen dominated them.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Sportacus on December 12, 2022, 01:49:07 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 12, 2022, 12:54:37 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on December 12, 2022, 12:41:40 PM
Reading this thread you'd think Kilcoo are the first team to sail close to the wind regarding challenges and verbals. All successful teams, club or county have players that play on the edge, you win nothing by being nice guys.

Tyrone, Armagh, Crossmaglen had plenty of players who could mix it, loved by their own, hated by everyone else. Kilcoo and Glen and every other successful club team have plenty of players who are experts in the dark arts, reading this you'd get the impression it's a new thing we're witnessing.

It's not that is a new thing, more that Kilcoo are extremely blatant about it. Their collective understanding  and willingness for just how far the rules of the game can be bent in your favour, is unparalleled.
Collective, but also specifically you had a thug running around for the whole of the first half intent on injuring opponents with Judas hits.  If you are equivocal about that then you're in the wrong sport.

Chief bollix is Ward, followed by his fake tan buddy Ryan Johnson. The other brothers are tits also. Sheelan one does some crying and feigning injury. Doherty and the Brannigan lads seem alright

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 12, 2022, 01:32:12 PM

100%. I wasn't at the game and obviously wasn't on the field so no idea what was said or wasn't said, but heard stories of that sort of thing being said by Kilcoo players before which is completely disgusting

Eire90

Quote from: yellowcard on December 12, 2022, 01:41:05 PM
I think its too simplistic to say that all teams employ the dark arts. It's fairly obvious to me that some are worse than others and it can be quite easily stopped by management. It's also a fallacy to say that you need to go down that route to gain an edge or to win. I'd say the majority of players play within the rules but some will always over step the mark. Quite often its the inferior player who needs to try and drag the game down to a physical or verbaL battle since they know that they will come off second best in a footballing contest. That is what happened with Ward and Glass yesterday imo. Ward knew he couldn't match Glass on a footballing level and therefore resorted to sledging and dirty tricks. Kilcoo have built up a history of foul tactics and it wasn't earned overnight. That is not to say they don't have some players who don't engage in these tactics, its too easy to tar everyone with the one brush. There is lots to admire about what they have achieved as a club but they have pushed the boundaries on plenty of occasions along the way.

I've heard stories about players who have researched girlfriends and sisters details prior to Ulster club matches and used it to bait opponents in order to try and gain an edge. When you have to resort to that sort of stuff I don't think players should just suck it up as being part of the game.

if that is the sort of stuff that is gong on  its a oversteeping the mark and a bit creepish.

Armagh18

Yeah and not many can match Glass footballing wise, he is excellent, only way for most to get the better of him is to resort to dirty tactics and in fairness to Glass he has kept the head when wound up and let his football do the talking this year, was a few incidents against EC as well were lads were at it off the ball and he didnt react. Ward did a good job on him in last years game and Kilcoo definitely missed him in the second half yesterday.

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on December 12, 2022, 02:10:31 PM

if that is the sort of stuff that is gong on  its a oversteeping the mark and a bit creepish.
That's been going on a brave while

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 12, 2022, 02:13:36 PM

Yeah and not many can match Glass footballing wise, he is excellent, only way for most to get the better of him is to resort to dirty tactics and in fairness to Glass he has kept the head when wound up and let his football do the talking this year, was a few incidents against EC as well were lads were at it off the ball and he didnt react. Ward did a good job on him in last years game and Kilcoo definitely missed him in the second half yesterday.

Joe Oguz got wired into Conor against EC but the difference is he's an excellent young footballer with great potential for Tyrone!

Armagh18

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 12, 2022, 02:16:05 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on December 12, 2022, 02:13:36 PM

Joe Oguz got wired into Conor against EC but the difference is he's an excellent young footballer with great potential for Tyrone!
Ward a very good footballer himself!

Milltown Row2

Not a big fan of the dark arts as its put, and watching the game on Sunday it just looked like someone had lit a tank of fuel, there was some off at the side of the camera view that you had lads lying on their backs but the stuff caught on camera was bad enough..

Maybe we would have won a few more Ulster had we taken that approach, but not in our mentality but maybe if we had a decent mix of it wouldn't be all bad  ;)

I remember as a juvenile we'd a lad that came to us from a different city club, what struck me was his style of playing or his off the ball stuff, things were obviously coached from an early age, needless to say he never made it to senior, just wasn't 'our' thing

You can be as hard as you want when you go fairly for the ball, and when the house is down, bring him down, that's cynical I know but when the stakes are high someone will take a black card, that happened yesterday late on

3 good teams left in it now, not writing off the Kerry lads but I can't see Crokes losing that one, Glen's game will be a 50/50 but they showed some character yesterday. I'd have fancied Kilcoo before the game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

It took Kilcoo 3 goes to win the all Ireland. Lost semi, lost final, won final.

oakleaflad

Quote from: seafoid on December 12, 2022, 03:30:33 PM
It took Kilcoo 3 goes to win the all Ireland. Lost semi, lost final, won final.
Don't think so. They only won Ulster twice? 2019 and 2021