Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 28, 2022, 10:10:09 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on November 28, 2022, 10:08:59 AM
Kilcoo are operating at a different level than everyone and it shows that Down club football is miles ahead of everything in Ulster. I reckon the top 4/5 teams in Down would be in the top 10 in Ulster IMO  I fear for Glen in the final. Kilcoo by +5 in the final

wum

What it shows is that Kilcoo only have to do the bare minimum to win Down and they have been peaking for the Ulster run....we used to do it every year as Armagh was so poor. Still think Glen will give it a real rattle in the final but won't be a classic game

imtommygunn

St Galls used to do that and you can see Slaughtneil doing it in the hurling too. They just time to peak later. It can be risky enough but you get teams that are good enough to do it.

It doesn't mean anything on the standard of the rest of the teams in the county.

shawshank

Kilcoo are operating at a different level than everyone and it shows that Down club football is miles ahead of everything in Ulster. I reckon the top 4/5 teams in Down would be in the top 10 in Ulster IMO  I fear for Glen in the final. Kilcoo by +5 in the final

lol clown

Truth hurts

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 28, 2022, 10:26:25 AM

wum

What it shows is that Kilcoo only have to do the bare minimum to win Down and they have been peaking for the Ulster run....we used to do it every year as Armagh was so poor. Still think Glen will give it a real rattle in the final but won't be a classic game

Dromintee might think different

Truth hurts

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 28, 2022, 10:36:51 AM
St Galls used to do that and you can see Slaughtneil doing it in the hurling too. They just time to peak later. It can be risky enough but you get teams that are good enough to do it.

It doesn't mean anything on the standard of the rest of the teams in the county.

I never once mention county, I think the standard of club football in Down is very competitive.  Kilcoo toughest games are in Down. The top 6 clubs teams are strong and very tactical.

imtommygunn

I never once mentioned county either...

Kilcoo peak later - the results in the down championship don't necessarily mean anything about the rest of the teams in down. No way would the top 4 or 5 teams be in the top 10 in ulster. Absolutely no way.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 28, 2022, 10:58:19 AM

wum

In the early years, our first run of AIs I would agree. 2006 onwards there was very little competition, particularly from 2009 to 2015

Truth hurts

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 28, 2022, 11:06:25 AM

Kilcoo peak later - the results in the down championship don't necessarily mean anything about the rest of the teams in down. No way would the top 4 or 5 teams be in the top 10 in ulster. Absolutely no way.

The standard in the Ulster club this year has been dire apart from Glen, Kilcoo and Errigal. Kilcoo hammered Ballybay who made wee boys of the famous Crossmaglen. Burren, Warrenpoint, Clonduff, Carryduff and Mayobridge  would beat Ballybay, Enniskillen, Cargin and Crossmaglen IMO

general_lee

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 28, 2022, 11:10:25 AM

wum

In the early years, our first run of AIs I would agree. 2006 onwards there was very little competition, particularly from 2009 to 2015
I think youse took a year out that year

Wildweasel74

Before Kilcoo came along, what did Down teams do in Ulster past 20+ yrs before them ?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on November 28, 2022, 11:15:41 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 28, 2022, 11:10:25 AM

wum

I think youse took a year out that year

Meant 2010....yeah we were having a holiday that year!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 28, 2022, 11:13:22 AM

The standard in the Ulster club this year has been dire apart from Glen, Kilcoo and Errigal. Kilcoo hammered Ballybay who made wee boys of the famous Crossmaglen. Burren, Warrenpoint, Clonduff, Carryduff and Mayobridge  would beat Ballybay, Enniskillen, Cargin and Crossmaglen IMO

;D

We'll never know.

LeoMc

10 and 20 years ago a lot of Armagh teams thought the same.

general_lee

So what you're trying to say is that the whole of Ulster is crap with the exception of Glen, Errigal and a handful of Down clubs?

Truth hurts

Quote from: general_lee on November 28, 2022, 11:31:14 AM

So what you're trying to say is that the whole of Ulster is crap with the exception of Glen, Errigal and a handful of Down clubs?

No I just think the standard is poor, hopefully final is an improvement but Kilcoo are too strong and Glen forwards are not good enough.