Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

I remember going to Clones a few years ago to see them beat Scotstown, roughly 5/6 years ago.

Mario

Has he stepped away from training too? And picking the team and tactics? I doubt it, in which case it's all for show. If he has stepped away from all those things it's given Kilcoo a massive advantage as that would be very unsettling for a team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mario on November 10, 2022, 07:16:37 AM
Has he stepped away from training too? And picking the team and tactics? I doubt it, in which case it's all for show. If he has stepped away from all those things it's given Kilcoo a massive advantage as that would be very unsettling for a team.

At this stage of the game, tactically trying to break down Kilcoo is going to be difficult, the best one for doing that will be a Kilcoo man, if Ballybay win then he will have contributed a lot, but if he is not involved then Ballybay will still be fit, prepared and they will have already come through a tough club championship, having already beaten Cross, so I doubt they will not be ready for what happens next..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Anyway, back to the football, sideshows aside, does anyone think Ballybay could cause an upset? Personally don't think they will, their forwards wont get near much space as they did against Cross and Kilcoo very rarely concede goal chances

imtommygunn

I think they will win. I don't think Kilcoo will have the same hunger and Ballybay are a good team. They won't, like you say, get the same space but they have quite a few avenues to cause a bit of bother. Ballybay by 2.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 10, 2022, 08:58:19 AM
I think they will win. I don't think Kilcoo will have the same hunger and Ballybay are a good team. They won't, like you say, get the same space but they have quite a few avenues to cause a bit of bother. Ballybay by 2.

Kilcoo will grind out a win in extra time, Think Cargin's game will go to extra time also... Two draws, thank me later  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I would be surprised if Cargin got that close. I think Glenties might win by a wee bit. Too much experience.

Might be a good shout on the Kilcoo game though.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 10, 2022, 08:58:19 AM
I think they will. They're the sort of boys that will want to prove last year wasn't a fluke and they'll want to put themselves up there with the likes of Cross and Corofin as some of the top club teams ever.

imtommygunn

They're very good to be fair to them but not that good. The likes of Laverty who pulls a lot of strings for them getting on a bit too though they've a few good younger players but none in that league.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 10, 2022, 09:25:33 AM
They're very good to be fair to them but not that good. The likes of Laverty who pulls a lot of strings for them getting on a bit too though they've a few good younger players but none in that league.
Yeah agreed, still plenty of ball in him yet although who knows if he'll step away next year with having the Down job. Hunger and doggedness will still be there although they got the rub of the green last year and came through a lot of tight battles on the right side, remains to be seen if they'll do it again this year, but it'll take some team to beat them.

imtommygunn

They are one of the most dogged teams you'd ever see tbf to them and that's one of their biggest assets. Laverty was creaking a bit last year. Still plenty of other good ones though. I was impressed by Ballybay - for a club team with not much experience they showed a lot of game savvy against Cross and in the McGuinness brothers, Ward, Finlay and the Wylies they have some excellent standard players for club level.

Saul goodman

Ballybay are a big side a lot of physical lads around the middle but hard to look past kilcoo could see them winning by a point or 2. I can't see Cargin v glenties going to extra time I reckon glenties will win by a couple of points

Milltown Row2

Here's the positives for Cargin, they are at home, a ground where they have won plenty of big games in recent years.

They have had a few weeks to prepare for this game, so any injury worries have had a chance to clear up

New manager but, he's been involved in plenty of big games and will have done his homework on this team

At some point you need to call on that experience to get you over the line and Cargin will have to use all that on Sunday

Glenties aren't a team that pulls away, its a dogged team and providing Cargin are a score away with 10 minutes to go they are in with a chance..

The pitches and weather will be a lot better than it was for their club final, Cargin are a better team on a 'clean' surface

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2022, 10:24:24 AM
Here's the positives for Cargin, they are at home, a ground where they have won plenty of big games in recent years.

They have had a few weeks to prepare for this game, so any injury worries have had a chance to clear up

New manager but, he's been involved in plenty of big games and will have done his homework on this team

At some point you need to call on that experience to get you over the line and Cargin will have to use all that on Sunday

Glenties aren't a team that pulls away, its a dogged team and providing Cargin are a score away with 10 minutes to go they are in with a chance..

The pitches and weather will be a lot better than it was for their club final, Cargin are a better team on a 'clean' surface
Is Cargin the name of a townland ?

general_lee

Quote from: Saul goodman on November 10, 2022, 09:54:44 AM
Ballybay are a big side a lot of physical lads around the middle but hard to look past kilcoo could see them winning by a point or 2. I can't see Cargin v glenties going to extra time I reckon glenties will win by a couple of points
Ballybay had their homework done v Cross, they were set up really well and with a bit of luck on their side came out quite comfortably. They'll give Kilcoo their fill of it alright and I agree with milltown we could be looking at a draw. I think Naomh Conaill will edge Cargin, they'll play the game on their terms and squeeze it out.