Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: onefaircounty on November 07, 2022, 07:53:02 PM
People aren't seriously suggesting that Cross don't flood bodies back? Do people actually watch them?

They do stay true to a kicking game mind you, and have great ball winners up front to allow this. They move the ball very fast and that's why they are able to out score most tea. Brilliant forwards help too.

But if anyone really thinks Cross don't bring men back, sweepers etc, they're living in a different world.
It's the old Jack Charlton adage here, if you get a reputation for an early riser you can lie to lunchtime. Joe Brolly perpetrated the myth and it's grew legs.

Cross have every right to be confident about their future, but I personally don't think the batch coming through are in the same league as the AI winning sides.

David McKeown

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 07, 2022, 09:27:48 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 07, 2022, 09:23:27 AM
No one is mentioning it but the black card was absolutely needless. They got crucified during that period and the black card was absolutely needless - no threat or danger from anything.
Harsh call too. Yer man went down like a bag of shite

I don't think it was harsh so much as wrong. Didn't look like a black card offence to me. The ball was at the other end of the pitch and it didn't seem like he took him out of the movement of play.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Armagh18

Quote from: bennydorano on November 07, 2022, 08:30:56 PM
Quote from: onefaircounty on November 07, 2022, 07:53:02 PM
People aren't seriously suggesting that Cross don't flood bodies back? Do people actually watch them?

They do stay true to a kicking game mind you, and have great ball winners up front to allow this. They move the ball very fast and that's why they are able to out score most tea. Brilliant forwards help too.

But if anyone really thinks Cross don't bring men back, sweepers etc, they're living in a different world.
It's the old Jack Charlton adage here, if you get a reputation for an early riser you can lie to lunchtime. Joe Brolly perpetrated the myth and it's grew legs.

Cross have every right to be confident about their future, but I personally don't think the batch coming through are in the same league as the AI winning sides.
I reckon some of the young lads as BCB has said are as talented of footballers or maybe even more so than the great Cross teams, certainly Rian O'Neill and McConville are as good as any talent to ever come out of Cross as is Oisin if they can get him fit but Morgan aside I think they're missing some real dogs like Bellew etc which is especially needed at this time of year. Aaron Kernan is practically irreplaceable for them if he does go, for his leadership and experience as well as his footballing ability. Cross are still Cross though so I'd expect them to get back to winning Armagh probably 3 or 4 times out of 5 and wouldn't bet against them landing an Ulster within the next 2 or 3 years. 

redzone

Morgan is one man fouling machine. He should have had a yellow even before the ball was threw in.
For all Araon Kernans ability he was badly caught out for the second goal. That said hes been some role model.
I think Drew Wylie set the template on how to mark O'Neil. He wasn't used that sort of attention and it rattled him

Armagh18

Quote from: redzone on November 07, 2022, 09:38:42 PM
Morgan is one man fouling machine. He should have had a yellow even before the ball was threw in.
For all Araon Kernans ability he was badly caught out for the second goal. That said hes been some role model.
I think Drew Wylie set the template on how to mark O'Neil. He wasn't used that sort of attention and it rattled him
Yeah Finlay made a run and 3 or 4 Cross lads went with him, very poor defending allowed the other lad in. O'Neill been getting that attention his whole life I'd say he's well fit for it by now, didn't have a good night but was apparently carrying an injury too

mrdeeds

Quote from: David McKeown on November 07, 2022, 09:12:37 PM
No one is mentioning it but the black card was absolutely needless. They got crucified during that period and the black card was absolutely needless - no threat or danger from anything.

I don't think it was harsh so much as wrong. Didn't look like a black card offence to me. The ball was at the other end of the pitch and it didn't seem like he took him out of the movement of play.

Is this the black just before half time? Criticising the Ballybay player for going down easy? Sure he went off after it. Was busted off ball.

David McKeown

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 07, 2022, 10:12:22 PM

Is this the black just before half time? Criticising the Ballybay player for going down easy? Sure he went off after it. Was busted off ball.

I didn't criticise him for going down early. I just think by rule it wasn't a black card.

Throw ball

Quote from: redzone on November 07, 2022, 09:38:42 PM

The comments on Morgan show how reputations can overshadow reality. The improvement in Morgan's discipline the last few years has been remarkable. Probably still as annoying as always but alot smarter. Every team has a player like him.

imtommygunn

Apart from the Galway game where he seemed to revert to a red card waiting to happen that is very true. He used to be the standout dirty player on the field but isn't like that so much these days. You wouldn't even have said he was particularly dirty on Saturday.

seafoid

In 1798 Watty Graham's head was paraded through Maghera. Imagine parading the Ulster cup this year.

mrdeeds

Quote from: David McKeown on November 07, 2022, 11:04:28 PM

I didn't criticise him for going down early. I just think by rule it wasn't a black card.

Sorry referring to previous poster said he went down easily. Definitely a black card at least. A body check off ball. Actually think maybe a red as how reckless it was and the outcome on Ballybay player needing to go off.

Armagh18

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 08, 2022, 08:34:31 AM

Sorry referring to previous poster said he went down easily. Definitely a black card at least. A body check off ball. Actually think maybe a red as how reckless it was and the outcome on Ballybay player needing to go off.
Game is gone if you can't hit a man a good dunt off the ball.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 08, 2022, 08:52:09 AM

Game is gone if you can't hit a man a good dunt off the ball.

Course ya can, just expect to get a card after it though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

A body check is not by itself a black card and I didnt think it was particularly wreckless.  I think it was a yellow card offence

general_lee

Quote from: David McKeown on November 08, 2022, 10:24:52 AM

A body check is not by itself a black card and I didnt think it was particularly wreckless.  I think it was a yellow card offence
Surely it is a black? "To deliberately collide with an opponent... for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play"