Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Its very hard to gauge the standards across county boundaries especially for teams that haven't competed at this level before. I always think that you need to win the first game after the county championship to feel your way into the new competition. As others have stated Cross are very suspect in defence but on the flip side I'd say that they have arguably the best attack left in this competition. Plus they have the history and tradition and will therefore not rest on their laurels. For that reason I think they will beat Ballybay and they themselves would then fancy their chances of upsetting Kilcoo. However whilst I'd love to see Cross beating Kilcoo in what would be a complete contrast of styles, I don't really see that happening. 

seafoid

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 31, 2022, 05:54:40 PM
I watched both the Tyrone & Fermanagh SFC finals yesterday - Errigal Ciaran are the only club in Tyrone with any sort of a provincial pedigree at senior level but other than Kilcoo, Glen was the worst team they could have got for their first round in Ulster IMO. The only good thing is that because of it, there should be no talk of them being favourites going into the game.

As for Enniskillen, their Fermanagh SFC final opponents (Erne Gaels) were a big disappointment - probably a case of "rabbit in the headlights" but there seemed to be not much drive or conviction in them and were also very stand-offish in comparison to Enniskillen whom were more aggressive in their tackling, played to their strengths and had their homework done as to whom to snuff out - Erne Gaels didn't appear to have any response to this - not to mention being more accurate in front of the posts. They have some good young players but it was hard to gauge just how good they were on that game alone. They beat Derrygonnelly in the semi-final by a point, but from seeing Derrygonnelly through the last few years they're a good winter footballing team. Enniskillen OTOH I'm not so sure are up to the same. Haven't a clue how they'll fare against Gowna, but I've doubts they'll make an immediate impact in Ulster to the point Derrygonnelly had done recently or Enniskillen had done back in the 90's/00's - maybe one to look out for more in future years if they stay at the top in their county.
Kilcoo just won their first all Ireland so they should be ripe for the plucking , even by a Tyrone team.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tintin25

I watched both the Tyrone & Fermanagh SFC finals yesterday - Errigal Ciaran are the only club in Tyrone with any sort of a provincial pedigree at senior level but other than Kilcoo, Glen was the worst team they could have got for their first round in Ulster IMO. The only good thing is that because of it, there should be no talk of them being favourites going into the game.

As for Enniskillen, their Fermanagh SFC final opponents (Erne Gaels) were a big disappointment - probably a case of "rabbit in the headlights" but there seemed to be not much drive or conviction in them and were also very stand-offish in comparison to Enniskillen whom were more aggressive in their tackling, played to their strengths and had their homework done as to whom to snuff out - Erne Gaels didn't appear to have any response to this - not to mention being more accurate in front of the posts. They have some good young players but it was hard to gauge just how good they were on that game alone. They beat Derrygonnelly in the semi-final by a point, but from seeing Derrygonnelly through the last few years they're a good winter footballing team. Enniskillen OTOH I'm not so sure are up to the same. Haven't a clue how they'll fare against Gowna, but I've doubts they'll make an immediate impact in Ulster to the point Derrygonnelly had done recently or Enniskillen had done back in the 90's/00's - maybe one to look out for more in future years if they stay at the top in their county.

Would agree re Enniskillen.  The team is very young and I'd fancy Gowna to beat them.  That's not to say that in a few years they could become a very good team capable of competing well in Ulster.

Armagh18

Quote from: tintin25 on October 31, 2022, 07:13:54 PM

Would agree re Enniskillen.  The team is very young and I'd fancy Gowna to beat them.  That's not to say that in a few years they could become a very good team capable of competing well in Ulster.
Enniskillen school won a MacRory and also a Hogan maybe 4 or 5 years ago I think. Guessing a few of those lads would be playing?

tintin25

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 31, 2022, 08:05:22 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on October 31, 2022, 07:13:54 PM

Enniskillen school won a MacRory and also a Hogan maybe 4 or 5 years ago I think. Guessing a few of those lads would be playing?

About 3 of them, but bulk of team came from Ulster winning minor side a few years ago.

clarshack

Was at a couple of Enniskillen Gael's games back in the noughties when they were going well, but they must have had a few lean years after that as I can remember Eskra trouncing them in the Ulster Intermediate 1st Rd in 2013.

grounded

Crossmaglen Ard Mhacha. Vs  Ballybay Pearse Brothers
05 November in Athletic Grounds at 7.15pm

Can't see past Cross here. Cross by 4 points

Quarter Finals

Enniskillen Gaels Fear Manach vs Gowna An Cabhán
12 November in Brewster Park at 7.15pm

Hard one to call. Neither side have been at this stage for a long time. Siding with the Gaels as the game is in Brewster but only by the minimum.  Enniskillen Gaels +1 

Cargin Erin's Own Aontroim vs Naomh Conaill Dún na nGall
13 November Corrigan Park at 1.30pm

Going for Naomh Conaill as they look to have a wee bit more quality and beat a fancied St Eunan's side.
  NC by +2

Glen Watty Graham's Doire vs Errigal Ciaran Tír Eoghain
13 November in Celtic Park at 3:30pm

Glen (despite the loss of McFaul) still way too strong for EC).  Glen +3

Kilcoo An Dún vs Crossmaglen/Ballybay Ard Mhacha/Muineachán
13 November in Páírc Esler at the

Kilcoo should have been beat by Clonduff and struggled to beat the Point in the final. But the same could have  been said about them in the Down SFC last year.  Time is catching up on some of the senior players, but I still think they are better than either the Armagh or Monaghan champions.

tintin25

Quote from: clarshack on October 31, 2022, 08:27:00 PM
Was at a couple of Enniskillen Gael's games back in the noughties when they were going well, but they must have had a few lean years after that as I can remember Eskra trouncing them in the Ulster Intermediate 1st Rd in 2013.

Yeah, they had to do a serious rebuilding job.  In fairness they had a great side back in the late nineties/early noughties.

seafoid

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on October 31, 2022, 09:23:54 PM
It's a fantastic competition
Genuinely looking forward to it this year and is wide open, Glen and Kilcoo favourites and will be nothing between them if they meet. Cross and EC probably just below that category but will fear no one, none of the other teams will lie down either I'm sure

RandyDupree

Quote from: Saul goodman on October 30, 2022, 11:25:09 PM
Glen bound to feel the loss of Ciaran McFaul I think EC on paper anyway have more star quality than glen, guys like Petey Harte have all the skills but then my sensible head tells me Tyrone sides do crap in ulster and glen could grind them down

LOL

Eire90

gowna were the last seed number 8 in the knockout stage of their championship and went on win the title the cavan championship they had to play number 1 seed cavan gaels who won 4 out of 4 in the league stage in quarter finals.

Eire90

With that format on Donegal and cavan you could play a team twice in a row i think.

seafoid

Quote from: Eire90 on November 01, 2022, 01:25:21 AM
gowna were the last seed number 8 in the knockout stage of their championship and went on win the title the cavan championship they had to play number 1 seed cavan gaels who won 4 out of 4 in the league stage in quarter finals.
Is Gowna the other half parish of Mullinalaghta?

tbrick18

Having seen EC playing a few times this year, I'd be very wary of them.
Defensively very strong, Peter Harte his playing some of his best ever football imo in MF and they have the 2 canavans up front.

I see EC vs Glen as a 50/50 and if anything, would almost give EC the nod. The advantage Glen have is the manager.
Best manager in club football and any county team would do well with him.
It's the pick of the games.