Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 09, 2023, 10:44:51 AM
Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2023, 09:13:32 AM
It's hard to know.

1. One way of looking it is as the debutant at this level playing the team who had been here and done it before. The naivety factor.
2. Another is the traditional apprenticeship followed by Kilcoo and Kilmacud . Lose one to get the experience and win the following year. But they might not get out of Ulster again.
3.But other teams have won at the first attempt eg Caltra. Could be the momentum
4. This would require Kilmacud to arse it up.
5.  Malachy O'Rourke is a class act. In-game management will be very important.

they arsed it up last year
It could be a factor again, depending on how Wattys set up
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

oakleaflad

It's hard to know.

1. One way of looking it is as the debutant at this level playing the team who had been here and done it before. The naivety factor.
2. Another is the traditional apprenticeship followed by Kilcoo and Kilmacud . Lose one to get the experience and win the following year. But they might not get out of Ulster again.
3.But other teams have won at the first attempt eg Caltra. Could be the momentum

Not necessarily. Could make an argument that Glen have the better players. They tend to almost arse things up for themselves though at times.

brokencrossbar1

The whole 'win one to lose one' is a load of bollix. Glen have the players and if they're not overawed by the occasion they'll be fine. The fact that the semis were in CP levels it a bit as playing on a stadium that is 1/4 full can be weird if you have never done it before.

If Glen can minimise the possession to Walsh they have a real good chance. To do that they need to clog the middle sector.  They will do that and have the fitness to stay with KC. I think they will do it

imtommygunn

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 09, 2023, 11:50:47 AM
It's hard to know.

Not necessarily. Could make an argument that Glen have the better players. They tend to almost arse things up for themselves though at times.

I am not convinced Glen have better players than KC. If they win this I think i will take good tactics to do it. KC have some very good players in there. (So do Glen and they both have some excellent players but I definitely don't think they have better players).

oakleaflad

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2023, 09:36:08 AM
It's hard to know.

I am not convinced Glen have better players than KC. If they win this I think i will take good tactics to do it. KC have some very good players in there. (So do Glen and they both have some excellent players but I definitely don't think they have better players).
Neither am I necessarily. I just said you could make the argument, which I think is valid. I just don't agree that for Glen to win Kilmacud have to arse it up. I think Glen have the ability and tactics to win on their own accord.

bennydorano

Thought Glen were cleaned out in the MF area v Moycullen, their speed attacking is frightening but if they are starved of the ball they will struggle. The messing about from the keeper/ trying to play it out cooly nearly backfired numerous times and did cost them a couple of points, I'd say KC will expose that more ruthlessly. As much as I'd love to see Glen winning I think KC will win with a few to spare.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: bennydorano on January 10, 2023, 12:07:32 PM
Thought Glen were cleaned out in the MF area v Moycullen, their speed attacking is frightening but if they are starved of the ball they will struggle. The messing about from the keeper/ trying to play it out cooly nearly backfired numerous times and did cost them a couple of points, I'd say KC will expose that more ruthlessly. As much as I'd love to see Glen winning I think KC will win with a few to spare.

Our star midfielder had the flu in the lead up to the game. This was clearly evident where we had to mix up our kickouts.

imtommygunn

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 10, 2023, 09:56:54 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2023, 09:36:08 AM
It's hard to know.

Neither am I necessarily. I just said you could make the argument, which I think is valid. I just don't agree that for Glen to win Kilmacud have to arse it up. I think Glen have the ability and tactics to win on their own accord.

I agree on the KC arsing it up thing too. Glen are a good team and have every chance of winning this. I just think KC are stronger but with O"Rourke and tactics that could swing it for Glen.

Wildweasel74

I think Walter, Glen struggled with the very tall half forwards which took alot of ball round Midfield

tbrick18

Glen had a real problem gaining possession from their own kick outs when Mayocullen pushed up on them.
When the short wasnt on, they struggled to win the long kickout over the much larger middle third players.
Derry are a bit like this too.

If KC do the same, and I'd expect them to, then Glen will struggle to gain primary possession from their own kickouts and may be forced to count on turnovers.

It's a tough game to call.
On the face of it, I'd say KC have a slight edge. But Glen have really good players and probably the top manager in the country at club level (and maybe even county level).

I'll sit on the fence on this and say its a 50-50 game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 12, 2023, 02:00:13 PM
Glen had a real problem gaining possession from their own kick outs when Mayocullen pushed up on them.
When the short wasnt on, they struggled to win the long kickout over the much larger middle third players.

If KC do the same, and I'd expect them to, then Glen will struggle to gain primary possession from their own kickouts and may be forced to count on turnovers.

On the face of it, I'd say KC have a slight edge. But Glen have really good players and probably the top manager in the country at club level (and maybe even county level).

For a top manager, what was his kick out strategy? Why have your keeper kick it into a 50/50 area and in the last game lose possession there a lot?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

If u watch some of those contests Glass was jumping with 1 up and 2 waiting, so where were the 2 other Glen lads.

seafoid

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 12, 2023, 02:00:13 PM

Mayocullen is the love child of Cora Staunton and Leinster Rugby
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Ulster Senior Club draw 23

Prelim 4/5  November

Fermanagh v Down

Q/Fs 11/12 November

(B) Derry v Antrim (Celtic Park)
(C) Cavan v Donegal (Breffni)
(D) Tyrone v Armagh (Omagh)
(E) Monaghan v Ferm/Down (Newry if Down, Clones if Ferm)

S/Fs 25/26 Nov

B v C
D v E

Final 9/10 December

armaghniac

Cross' didn't do so well in Omagh in recent years.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B