2023 Provincial championships Draw

Started by Blowitupref, October 11, 2022, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 20, 2022, 11:13:29 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 20, 2022, 08:41:26 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on October 20, 2022, 06:05:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 20, 2022, 09:50:38 AM
Will those 3 or 4 teams with genuine designs on Sam take the Provincials very seriously?
I know winning them gives you perks (1st seed, 1st game at home) but 3 or 4 weeks without intense knock out games v neighbours might leave them in better shape for the AI series.
Thoughts?

Yes that would be  my thinking on it.  Put your feet up , forget about provincial, go in fresh to the group stage .  No suspensions, fresh legs etc.

Why would any team with All Ireland aspirations  go hell for  leather trying to win a meaningless provincial title?
I don't agree. winning Ulster gave Derry a massive lift last year. Most teams won't win the all Ireland. The provincial titles will always be silverware. Armagh came up against their ceiling at the quarter final stage. Next year a Geezer anglo Celt win would mean a lot.

I get what you are saying  but in Ulster there are a number of teams that are capable of beating each other: Armagh Tyrone Derry Donegal Monaghan Cavan .

I think 4 of those are in division 1 next year .. so let's say someone like Tyrone could possibly need to beat Derry Monaghan Armagh and Donegal to win Ulster.  If they've already been  well placed in Div 1  and already qualified for this group stage , why would they even bother trying to win Ulster? 4 tough games v 4 rivals. Risking injury suspensions and  being knackered  for the really important  matches later on . Why bother?
It's a herculean task to garner any sympathy here for the possible future trials and tribulations of the most oppressed GAA county in Ireland. According to your post, it would be an act of mercy for them to beaten in the quarter final. ;D

This new championship format has maintained the favour given to provincial finalists in the latter stages of the Championship draw. A probable flaw is that the runners up are seeded in pot 2, Connacht runners up will be a desired opponent.  I think in general  the new format is a positive direction and one that can be adjusted for the better in the years to come.

AustinPowers

Here,  I  dislike Tyrone as  much as the next man ,  but I just used them as an  example as they did go all the  way last year , and would have similar ambitions next year .

Not only that , but if they  did decide not to go all out in Ulster,  and therefore weren't  best seeded in the group stages , still on their day , they'd be capable of putting it up  to anyone   .

So , early Ulster exit , meaning one less home match in group stage ....... or  a knackered Ulster winning team , with injuries and suspensions . Which would be more beneficial to a team  capable of going all the way?

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/1019/1330216-early-creaks-in-new-football-championship-structure/

"A Division 3/4 side must reach a provincial final in order to play in the All-Ireland series.

Judging by some of the reaction on Twitter and the comments of Seán Cavanagh, the prospect of a Division 2 teams missing out on a Sam Maguire tilt highlights for them a flaw with the provincials.

"A better team won't be in Sam Maguire," was the tone of one such tweet, while Cavanagh told RTÉ Sport: "It highlights the madness of this provisional system as well that we're now talking about Division 4 teams going to be guaranteed a place in the Sam Maguire Cup while there are a stack of Division 2 teams, some of them top provincial teams, that are more than likely going to miss out at this stage. The system is a crazy one."

I think this is debatable. Just as there weren't 8 super 8 teams there aren't 16 counties capable of going all the way. Some of the teams in the bottom half of D2 are shite.
They can fix it with seeding but there is a still a huge drop off in standards between D1 and D2.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on October 24, 2022, 08:14:35 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/1019/1330216-early-creaks-in-new-football-championship-structure/

"A Division 3/4 side must reach a provincial final in order to play in the All-Ireland series.

Judging by some of the reaction on Twitter and the comments of Seán Cavanagh, the prospect of a Division 2 teams missing out on a Sam Maguire tilt highlights for them a flaw with the provincials.

"A better team won't be in Sam Maguire," was the tone of one such tweet, while Cavanagh told RTÉ Sport: "It highlights the madness of this provisional system as well that we're now talking about Division 4 teams going to be guaranteed a place in the Sam Maguire Cup while there are a stack of Division 2 teams, some of them top provincial teams, that are more than likely going to miss out at this stage. The system is a crazy one."

I think this is debatable. Just as there weren't 8 super 8 teams there aren't 16 counties capable of going all the way. Some of the teams in the bottom half of D2 are shite.
They can fix it with seeding but there is a still a huge drop off in standards between D1 and D2.
Realistically if you are finishing near the bottom of division 2 you wont do much in the All Ireland but would probably be favourites for the Tailteann

trailer

Quote from: ONeill on October 22, 2022, 12:13:50 AM
Quote from: trailer on October 21, 2022, 11:40:47 AM
Can someone explain how Dublin or Kerry are going out to play a game in 2nd or 3rd gear? How does that work? Do they only sprint at 60%? Do they only take 60% of possible shots? How do you hold back a bunch of fellas trying to get a place on a possible all Ireland team from going 110%?

It is the greatest shite talked in punditry and it's time someone called it out on air.

You're misunderstanding the concept. After 20 mins, when Kerry are beating Clare by 10 pts, Clifford is unlikely to bust a gut chasing a 10/90 ball heading over the sideline.

Bollocks. The best players are the best because they do it consistently. Nobody is going at half pace. And they are 10 pts up because they are going flat out.

Cavan19

Quote from: trailer on October 24, 2022, 08:53:03 AM
Can someone explain how Dublin or Kerry are going out to play a game in 2nd or 3rd gear? How does that work? Do they only sprint at 60%? Do they only take 60% of possible shots? How do you hold back a bunch of fellas trying to get a place on a possible all Ireland team from going 110%?

It is the greatest shite talked in punditry and it's time someone called it out on air.

You're misunderstanding the concept. After 20 mins, when Kerry are beating Clare by 10 pts, Clifford is unlikely to bust a gut chasing a 10/90 ball heading over the sideline.

Bollocks. The best players are the best because they do it consistently. Nobody is going at half pace. And they are 10 pts up because they are going flat out.

But they won't go flat out for the second half when they know that the opposition are not good enough to get back into the game.

trailer

Quote from: Cavan19 on October 24, 2022, 09:27:05 AM

But they won't go flat out for the second half when they know that the opposition are not good enough to get back into the game.

I don't know. When I played and I was either trying to get into the team or stay in team you didn't do that by going 60%. Especially a winning one. Teams get humped because they give up. Not because the better side goes 50%. It's a f**king nonsense punditry line.

seafoid

Why didn't Tyrone do back to back then?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eire90

Think it should be only provincial champions seeded  that would make the league more impotent aswell if the  next seeds go by league.

Blowitupref

Connacht U20 draw was done last night. A tough draw for the defending champions Sligo.

Prem round

Roscommon v Sligo

Semi finals

Roscommon/Sligo v Mayo
Leitrim v Galway
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Eire90

If provincial champions got to play all 3 All Ireland group games at home and beaten finalists did not get seeded that may make winning provincial have more added weight.

inroundthesquare

inroundthesquare