2023 Provincial championships Draw

Started by Blowitupref, October 11, 2022, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Itchy on October 20, 2022, 03:59:39 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 20, 2022, 11:07:43 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 20, 2022, 09:50:38 AM
Will those 3 or 4 teams with genuine designs on Sam take the Provincials very seriously?
I know winning them gives you perks (1st seed, 1st game at home) but 3 or 4 weeks without intense knock out games v neighbours might leave them in better shape for the AI series.
Thoughts?
Dublin and Kerry will stay in second gear as per. The Ulster teams? None of them can afford yo turn their noses up a a provincial title. Going on last year Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan have tons of improving to do before thinking of winning an all ireland. Derry will want to prove last year wasnt a flash in the pan. Obviously for Armagh it's been far too long since we've done anything in Ulster so again it has to be our number one priority. Am I right in saying that Cavan need to make the Ulster final to avoid the Tailteann?

The only province you might see teams taking it easy is Connacht. The big 3 have all won their fair share of provincials in recent years so may try to prime themselves for the AI.

Yes, Cavan will need to likely beat 2 x Div1 teams to avoid Tailteann, regardless if they finish top of Div3 due to the lob sided draw in Connacht. Just highlights a major weakness in the process.

Can't have much sympathy for Cavan.

From a Division 1 team in 2019 to somehow allowing themselves to drop to Division 4. How was it even possible to lose that playoff against Wicklow?

Then they had Tailteann Cup which every Tom, Dick and Harry was tipping then to win yet Westmeath won and guaranteed a spot All-Ireland group stage.

As for the provincial championships they'll be dead the day that Division 1 teams don't pick strong teams in games, instead choose to experiment with fringe players and i don't think that will be the case next year.

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 20, 2022, 06:05:49 PM
Will those 3 or 4 teams with genuine designs on Sam take the Provincials very seriously?
I know winning them gives you perks (1st seed, 1st game at home) but 3 or 4 weeks without intense knock out games v neighbours might leave them in better shape for the AI series.
Thoughts?

Yes that would be  my thinking on it.  Put your feet up , forget about provincial, go in fresh to the group stage .  No suspensions, fresh legs etc.

Why would any team with All Ireland aspirations  go hell for  leather trying to win a meaningless provincial title?
I don't agree. winning Ulster gave Derry a massive lift last year. Most teams won't win the all Ireland. The provincial titles will always be silverware. Armagh came up against their ceiling at the quarter final stage. Next year a Geezer anglo Celt win would mean a lot.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on October 20, 2022, 08:41:26 PM
Thoughts?

Yes that would be  my thinking on it.  Put your feet up , forget about provincial, go in fresh to the group stage .  No suspensions, fresh legs etc.

Why would any team with All Ireland aspirations  go hell for  leather trying to win a meaningless provincial title?
I don't agree. winning Ulster gave Derry a massive lift last year. Most teams won't win the all Ireland. The provincial titles will always be silverware. Armagh came up against their ceiling at the quarter final stage. Next year a Geezer anglo Celt win would mean a lot.

It would however will likely excel more in group stages than Ulster going on previous years.

ONeill

That's the thing. Winning your province doesn't make you the best team in the province if other teams in the province go further in the overall series or, God forbid, win Sam. So to celebrate winning the provincial title is just simply a trophy celebration, not a marker of your position. I know it has emotional or sentimental value for some.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AustinPowers

Thoughts?

I get what you are saying  but in Ulster there are a number of teams that are capable of beating each other: Armagh Tyrone Derry Donegal Monaghan Cavan .

I think 4 of those are in division 1 next year .. so let's say someone like Tyrone could possibly need to beat Derry Monaghan Armagh and Donegal to win Ulster.  If they've already been  well placed in Div 1  and already qualified for this group stage , why would they even bother trying to win Ulster? 4 tough games v 4 rivals. Risking injury suspensions and  being knackered  for the really important  matches later on . Why bother?

Rossfan

The proposal last year to downgrade the Provincials didn't make it because it was too much too soon.
The system adopted will downgrade them in a slower more organic way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 20, 2022, 11:13:29 PM
Thoughts?

I get what you are saying  but in Ulster there are a number of teams that are capable of beating each other: Armagh Tyrone Derry Donegal Monaghan Cavan .

I think 4 of those are in division 1 next year .. so let's say someone like Tyrone could possibly need to beat Derry Monaghan Armagh and Donegal to win Ulster.  If they've already been  well placed in Div 1  and already qualified for this group stage , why would they even bother trying to win Ulster? 4 tough games v 4 rivals. Risking injury suspensions and  being knackered  for the really important  matches later on . Why bother?
Sure why bother at all with that attitude...

trailer

Can someone explain how Dublin or Kerry are going out to play a game in 2nd or 3rd gear? How does that work? Do they only sprint at 60%? Do they only take 60% of possible shots? How do you hold back a bunch of fellas trying to get a place on a possible all Ireland team from going 110%?

It is the greatest shite talked in punditry and it's time someone called it out on air.

maigheo

Quote from: trailer on October 21, 2022, 11:40:47 AM
Can someone explain how Dublin or Kerry are going out to play a game in 2nd or 3rd gear? How does that work? Do they only sprint at 60%? Do they only take 60% of possible shots? How do you hold back a bunch of fellas trying to get a place on a possible all Ireland team from going 110%?

It is the greatest shite talked in punditry and it's time someone called it out on air.
. One of the best posts on here in a long time

Armagh18

Did you not watch the Munster final last year? Kerry barely had to break sweat ffs.

ONeill

You're misunderstanding the concept. After 20 mins, when Kerry are beating Clare by 10 pts, Clifford is unlikely to bust a gut chasing a 10/90 ball heading over the sideline.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Quote from: ONeill on October 22, 2022, 12:13:50 AM

You're misunderstanding the concept. After 20 mins, when Kerry are beating Clare by 10 pts, Clifford is unlikely to bust a gut chasing a 10/90 ball heading over the sideline.

Absolutely, in a keen game the players will bust themselves and risk getting a clatter, but when you are well ahead against a team that was never going to beat you then why risk anything?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eire90

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 20, 2022, 11:13:29 PM
Thoughts?

winning province in thoery gives you an easier group stage as you wont have another provincial champion in group.

Itchy

Quote from: maigheo on October 21, 2022, 12:07:16 PM

Do you believe that when Mayo beat Sligo for example by 20 points in Connacht they are playing at the same intensity and hitting (and being hit) at the same force as they would be if they were playing Dublin in a semi final? Come on now, you can't think such daftness

Blowitupref

Quote from: Itchy on October 23, 2022, 08:49:48 PM
Quote from: maigheo on October 21, 2022, 12:07:16 PM

Do you believe that when Mayo beat Sligo for example by 20 points in Connacht they are playing at the same intensity and hitting (and being hit) at the same force as they would be if they were playing Dublin in a semi final? Come on now, you can't think such daftness

They bring a certain amount of intensity, heavy hitting,speed that Sligo can't live with.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose