Tailteann Cup 2022

Started by twohands!!!, April 24, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Dreadnought on March 29, 2023, 03:03:21 PM
Quote from: Hound on March 29, 2023, 12:41:13 PM
Clearly a flaw in the competitions is allowing provincial finalists a backdoor out of the Tailteann and into the Sam Maguire. Should only be the provincial winners (and last year's Taliteann winners of course) that can skip their league placing.

I don't agree actually. With your logic here, you're putting more weight on League results than actual Championship results in the previous 3 weeks in that actual Championship. Championship is the main competition, and that should be rewarded so. A team getting to a final should be rewarded for having a good year.

I will quantify that by saying the draws should be seeded to prevent a Division 4 team getting to a final by not playing anyone decent, like Connacht this year. Seed the draws, and if you then make it through to a final by beating quality teams, then you fully deserve your place there

I'd firmly be in the more weight should be put on the league results.

Plenty of poor/average teams over the years have ended up getting to a provincial final because of a kind draw/becaue they were less worse than the opposition on a given day.

Dreadnought

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 29, 2023, 05:58:02 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on March 29, 2023, 03:03:21 PM
Quote from: Hound on March 29, 2023, 12:41:13 PM
Clearly a flaw in the competitions is allowing provincial finalists a backdoor out of the Tailteann and into the Sam Maguire. Should only be the provincial winners (and last year's Taliteann winners of course) that can skip their league placing.

I don't agree actually. With your logic here, you're putting more weight on League results than actual Championship results in the previous 3 weeks in that actual Championship. Championship is the main competition, and that should be rewarded so. A team getting to a final should be rewarded for having a good year.

I will quantify that by saying the draws should be seeded to prevent a Division 4 team getting to a final by not playing anyone decent, like Connacht this year. Seed the draws, and if you then make it through to a final by beating quality teams, then you fully deserve your place there

I'd firmly be in the more weight should be put on the league results.

Plenty of poor/average teams over the years have ended up getting to a provincial final because of a kind draw/becaue they were less worse than the opposition on a given day.

It works on many ways, as when the finalists are known, the Tailteann can start as all their teams are known. It needs to start off earlier. And I simply would rather base the qualification on the Championship matches played last few weeks, than League which will have been 3 to 4 months before. Imagine if a team comes through preliminary in Ulster, beating a few Div 1 and 2 teams in our highest level of game, but we say nah, this team had a mediocre Division 2 campaign, barely stayed up, didn't get near their final, but we put them above a finalist?

Like look at Fermanagh. Say they win Division 3 title, then make their way through the minefield of Ulster to a final. You'd rather Meath who just stayed up get a place ahead of them?

Hound

If Fermanagh maintain their Division 2 status next year, they will be a better achievement than coming 1st or 2nd in Division 3.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Hound on March 30, 2023, 12:42:58 AM
If Fermanagh maintain their Division 2 status next year, they will be a better achievement than coming 1st or 2nd in Division 3.

Hanging on like Meath did is better than winning Division 3 and getting to an Ulster final? Ah come on...

Rossfan

He didn't  say Ulster Final.
Meath are 14th in the rankings , winners of D3 Final are 15th.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oakleaflad

Fermanagh beating Derry and then Tyrone/Monaghan in the championship would be a bigger achievement than anything in Div2/3 of the league.

Dreadnought

Quote from: oakleaflad on March 30, 2023, 09:04:31 AM
Fermanagh beating Derry and then Tyrone/Monaghan in the championship would be a bigger achievement than anything in Div2/3 of the league.

100%. I literally cannot believe we have people wanting to rank some mediocre League results over Championship ones. Championship is the big competition folks. It has to have more ranking and weighting.

Armagh18

Quote from: Dreadnought on March 30, 2023, 09:48:39 AM

100%. I literally cannot believe we have people wanting to rank some mediocre League results over Championship ones. Championship is the big competition folks. It has to have more ranking and weighting.
2 sides to it. Fermanagh reaching an Ulster final by beating Tyrone/Derry/Monaghan or whoever would be some achievement. Leitrim/Sligo reaching a Connacht final by beating a shite team and then getting beat by 20 points in the groups is worthless.

Not sure what the solution is tbh.

seafoid

It's not about what is rational. The GAA are not going to abandon the provincial championships. That's where the power is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLcKmOwRk_c&t=492s
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dreadnought

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 30, 2023, 10:00:47 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on March 30, 2023, 09:48:39 AM

2 sides to it. Fermanagh reaching an Ulster final by beating Tyrone/Derry/Monaghan or whoever would be some achievement. Leitrim/Sligo reaching a Connacht final by beating a shite team and then getting beat by 20 points in the groups is worthless.

Not sure what the solution is tbh.

They have to be seeded. It's tough to seed against the lower ranked sides, but must be done considering the prize for a final. the fact is that Connacht have messed things up this year with their slanted draw. At least with seeding, any lower ranked team getting through to a final will have worked for it. Make it a rule that all are seeded and it'll be more equitable.

Rossfan

The 5 Connacht Counties play London and NY in rotation so that's yer seeding out the window.

armaghniac

That's easy, only allow teams in Ireland into the All Ireland. Let New York and London play each other for the Atlantic cup.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Are you going to put London out if the NFL?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Rossfan on March 30, 2023, 10:16:14 AM
The 5 Connacht Counties play London and NY in rotation so that's yer seeding out the window.

I'm sure there's a way of working this in to account for what's needed, but not getting all the top sides on one side. Tbf, that reason shouldn't be the reason we have lopsided Sam Maguire qualification.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on March 30, 2023, 10:41:30 AM
That's easy, only allow teams in Ireland into the All Ireland. Let New York and London play each other for the Atlantic cup.
Brits out. Keep Kilburn Irish.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU