Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Class player, good luck to him in retirement. Injury probably hampered him in the last couple of years but was brilliant in his day

Dinny Breen

Great player. Great attitude.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Emlyn Mulligan packs in the County game.
The knees he says.
One of Leitrim's finest.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on May 16, 2019, 02:05:38 PM
Emlyn Mulligan packs in the County game.
The knees he says.
One of Leitrim's finest.

Has called time for this summer but i don't think he has retired yet?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

He said he's  "calling it quits" so I think it's goidbye

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on May 16, 2019, 02:48:35 PM
He said he's  "calling it quits" so I think it's goidbye

He has said publicly he hasn't retired yet but will Hyland pick him next year after walking away now? 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Andy Moran. Great player.

Blowitupref

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 26, 2019, 06:37:55 PM
Andy Moran. Great player.

At least he retired with national title won last April, small consolation for not winning the senior AI i know. Mayo's best scoring forward from play the last number of years. Probably the smartest player they had in how he could create space to shoot or produce opportunities for others and of course he was a big leader. Big boots to fill, players like him doesn't come along very often.

Rossfan

He can go back to being a Rossie again now.

Farrandeelin

Thanks for the memories Andy. Pity he didn't get the All Ireland medal he craved.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

One of the Mayo greats. I remember being at the u21 final v Armagh the week after the 2004 final, he was captain i think?
Had a few quiet years, including being played as a half back by O'Mahony. I was there when he went down in agony in thr q-final v down in 2012 having done his cruciate, and in Pearse Stadium in 2013 when he scored a goal off the bench on his comeback - the Mayo crowd went mental!
He went onto another level in 2016 & 2017, a joy to watch.
He loved playing, you could see that. 
At least he got the POTY and won a national title in Croker this spring.
He gave it everything, fair play to him, could do no more.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Tubberman on August 26, 2019, 07:54:51 PM
One of the Mayo greats. I remember being at the u21 final v Armagh the week after the 2004 final, he was captain i think?
Had a few quiet years, including being played as a half back by O'Mahony. I was there when he went down in agony in thr q-final v down in 2012 having done his cruciate, and in Pearse Stadium in 2013 when he scored a goal off the bench on his comeback - the Mayo crows went mental!
He went onto another level in 2016 & 2017, a joy to watch.
He loved playing, you could see that. 
At least he got the POTY and won a national title in Croker this spring.
He gave it everything, fair play to him, could do no more.

The crows are bit mental in Mayo alright.

He was a prime example to many young forwards looking to make a breakthrough that you don't have to be the quickest of strongest to excel. A very clever and skillful footballer as you say he gave his all and could do no more.

I would expect David Clarke,Keith Higgins to follow Andy into retirement. Boyle should stay on for another year.

omaghjoe

Great footballer. I thought he was finished after his injury in 2012 but the attitude and dedication he displayed has been fantastic to win pity. Great example to us all and unfortunate never to win an AI

MayoBuck

Best Mayo forward I've ever seen. Some great memories of him including the Donegal game earlier this month.

henrym14

Andy Moran one of the greats.